Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179041Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th May 2019, 10:06 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Kiss Me Deadly (1955)

Robert Aldrich's film starring Ralph Meeker as Mickey Spillane's Mike Hammer is as hard boiled as they come as Hammer slaps and punches his way through LA's sleazy underbelly leading to a climax which is as left field and unguessable as they come.

Film Noir at it's best. Recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg review_KissMeDeadly_poster-594x445.jpg (89.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 28th May 2019, 10:56 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Kiss Me Deadly (1955)

Robert Aldrich's film starring Ralph Meeker as Mickey Spillane's Mike Hammer is as hard boiled as they come as Hammer slaps and punches his way through LA's sleazy underbelly leading to a climax which is as left field and unguessable as they come.

Film Noir at it's best. Recommended.
I'm planning on getting stuck into the Film Noir genre, so added this one to the list.
Old 29th May 2019, 09:05 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Dreams in the Witch house

A student studying string theory moves into a run down apartment block. The place seems to be invested with rats, but he has to contend with more than rats in the wall, there's an gateway to an alternate dimension where a witch lives as well as a rat with a human race, it's enjoyable but all tension is lost when the rat with the face is showing as it's funny in a bad way. Based on a H.P Lovecraft story and directed by Stuart Gordon. 6/10

Incident on and off a mountain road.

A young woman is being hunted by a deformed serial killer , it's not long before she turns the table on the killer using skills she learnt from her boyfriend. Watch out for Angus Scrimm as a old looney. 8/10

Chocolate

Turned it off what a pile of shite, if watching Elliot from ET thinking he's getting ****ed by a man and having a orgasm because he's linked to a woman is your thing give it a go.

Sick Girl

A social awkward Entomologists finds love but when she receives a strange bug ,her girlfriend starts acting strangely when the it escapes. 7.5/10

Sent from my KFSUWI using Tapatalk
Chocolate is really terrible. The worst episode of the whole two series of MoH.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 29th May 2019, 09:37 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I watched The Plague Dogs (1982, Martin Rosen)

Based yet again on a Richard Adams book, this rather grim animation I found more harrowing than When The Wind Blows and Shoah put together!
Two dogs escape a testing facility by chance, and try and survive in the unforgiving harshness of the real world. Human narration fills in some gaps, yes, it works better in the book but what choice did they have at the time? Admittedly Watership Down is just as bleak, but it has the hippy trippy ending to sneak behind. This on the other paw ....
Tbh I found this quite affecting. Yes, it goes a bit Of Mice And Men at the end, but that's not a bad thing in context. It's colour palette is muted to say the least, and of course it should have had Robert Wyatt singing at the end, as his voice would have been preferable to what there is ahem. Not a film I will be hurrying to rewatch.
Highly Recommended.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 29th May 2019, 11:12 AM
Cult Addict

It (1990)
Kids go missing and a group of kids band together to defeat the killer - we all know the plot I'm sure.
The first half is still great to watch, but I found the second half rather lame. Still love Tim Curry as Pennywise.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 29th May 2019, 11:31 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Dreams in the Witch house

A student studying string theory moves into a run down apartment block. The place seems to be invested with rats, but he has to contend with more than rats in the wall, there's an gateway to an alternate dimension where a witch lives as well as a rat with a human race, it's enjoyable but all tension is lost when the rat with the face is showing as it's funny in a bad way. Based on a H.P Lovecraft story and directed by Stuart Gordon. 6/10
That's actually my favourite one. I think it's the closest to a film out of all the television episodes. I think Gordon did a very good job with limited resources and I'm happy to own a blu-ray of a fourth HP Lovecraft adaption by Stuart Gordon.
nosferatu42 and MrBarlow like this.
Old 29th May 2019, 01:03 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Shock (Beyond The Door 2). 1977

A woman moves into a house with her new husband and son, she starts to believe her son may be possessed by her late husband's spirit.

From Italian Film director Mario Bava and some uncredited help from his son Lamberto, brings us a story of haunting and possession with a slight twist in it. Daria Nicolodi stars as Dora, a happy care free wife and mother and ejoying a new life. David Colin plays Marco, her son who seems to step foot in the house and feels a presence their. John Steiner plays Bruno, Dora's husband who dismisses her claims of ghosts.

Even With Mario's direction and low budget, the film relies not on gore but on psychological terror that Daria brings to the movie with her performance being great. it may not be a great film but certainly enjoyable, worth a watch 6-7 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shock.jpg (89.7 KB, 3 views)
Old 29th May 2019, 01:28 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Piranha DD. (2012)

Piranha DD is tremendous fun and felt like the cast were enjoying themselves making it. Although less of a star name cast than the poor Piranha 3D, the film boasts a brilliant performance of high comedy from David Hasselhoff, playing himself of course, as well as the returning Ving Rhames and Christopher Lloyd. Not to mention the always excellent Gary Busey in an early cameo but it's Danielle Panabaker's film, best known for her co-star role in The Flash, in a way she's too good for silliness like this but she makes a likable heroine.

The film really hit the mark with its high exploitation levels, barely a scene goes by without a blood thirsty death or a naked breast. I've seen this three or four times now and always find it an easy and enjoyable bit of modern trash cinema.

Anyone watching this on shiny disc should also check out the brilliant bonus feature A Tennis Lesson with John McEnroe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg piranha-3dd-movie-poster.jpg (95.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 29th May 2019, 01:47 PM
Cult Addict

Shark Attack
A scientist gets an email from a friend to head to Africa due to an increase in shark attacks, he finds out his friend is dead and that sharks are worshipped (kinda).
Great to see Ernie Hudson as a politician and Casper Van Dien as himself with a different name. But what's better than that you ask? Sharks and explosions.

Old 29th May 2019, 01:59 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
Shark Attack
A scientist gets an email from a friend to head to Africa due to an increase in shark attacks, he finds out his friend is dead and that sharks are worshipped (kinda).
Great to see Ernie Hudson as a politician and Casper Van Dien as himself with a different name. But what's better than that you ask? Sharks and explosions.

I've dug my Creature Features box set out to start on tonight. This might be the first watch.
bleakshaun and MrBarlow like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!