Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179616Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th June 2019, 08:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

True. I tried to couch it in terms that weren't spoilery etc. It is only a film after all. I was given a book about him ... as a Xmas present . So I read it.
The earlier film they made (90s?) was an oddity, trying to relieve the mayhem with humour, unsuccessfully in my opinion.
Enjoy!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 4th June 2019, 09:47 PM
Active Cultist

Good Will Hunting

Re-watched, because the misses never saw it. Still a good movie, but not has good when I watched the first time.

Fandango - 1985

Quote:
Five college buddies from the University of Texas circa 1971 embark on a final road trip odyssey across the Mexican border before facing up to uncertain futures, in Vietnam and otherwise.
The other day on Channel 5 - was airing the Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves, watched that movie so many times when I was a kid - so went to investigate more info about the director Kevin Reynolds, and found his first movie "around" - it's no masterpiece, but it's one of that movies that leaves with you with a good feeling, only 1 hour and 27 minutes fly over - Recommend.
Old 4th June 2019, 10:02 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Anzio (1968)

When the Allies led by US General Lesley (Arthur Kennedy) land at Anzio, Italy, it seems they are unopposed. A war correspondent (Robert Mitchum) and a battle hardened Corporal (Peter Falk) take a jeep and drive to Rome and back without coming across a single German soldier. However when they report to Lesley he dismisses their claims and decides to dig in at Anzio rather than moving on to Rome. When the Germans hear of the landing, their leader in Italy, Field Marshal Albert Kesselring, calls in the Panzer divisions from elsewhere and counter attacks.

Anzio is a US / Italian co-production depicting one of the fiercest battles of the Second World War. Filmed in and around Rome itself the location work is excellent as is Riz Ortolani's booming score. Director Edward Dmytryk keeps the film moving so much that it feels like the pace sags whenever there is time for contemplation. There are some strong battle sequences involving German Tiger tanks. One scene as Mitchum and his men try and escape a shelled out house across a minefield as a Tiger approaches from the other side is nail biting stuff. In fact Dmytryk excels in the staging of battles.

Robert Mitchum is the obvious star of the show but Peter Falk runs him close. His dodgy corporal, (based on a real life person) seemingly into anything illegal, in fact he even runs a prostitution ring from the back of an army ambulance. Arthur Kennedy also does well with his portrayal of the timid General whose cautious attitude cost almost 50,000 Allied lives. Kennedy often plays the role where you wish his character dead after five minutes but here you just feel sorry as he's so out of his depth.

Whilst Anzio isn't the best film about the Second World War it is a good one and a film i recommend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 220px-Anzio_1968.jpg (26.1 KB, 7 views)
Old 5th June 2019, 02:24 PM
Cult Acolyte

thMRSAAKDB.jpg

Well, I really enjoyed that. That was bloody good.
Non stop frantic action from the start.
.. and it was fracking loud.
Old 5th June 2019, 07:00 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Lifeforce 1985.

A space shuttle is sent out to find a lost crew, on board the missing shuttle, the crew find a young girl in a pod and return to earth, once she is awake all hell breaks loose.

First time seeing this film and enjoyed it, the acting is a bit thin and seems wooden in parts or trying hard to over act other actors. Mathilda May who plays the female vampire is practically in the nude throughout the film (not complaining). Peter Firth and Frank Finlay seem to be more calm and act decently. Henry Mancini's score and the special effects do manage to keep the entertainment alive with Tobe Hooper's direction.. 6-7 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg d19fe086073e5719fc689cee1a091990.jpg (97.7 KB, 7 views)
Old 5th June 2019, 08:19 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Well, tis a Cannon movie after all
Railsback is a scream in it. Rewatch.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 5th June 2019, 09:32 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Haunted House of Horror (Horror House) 1969.

A group of teenagers decide to leave a party and go to a haunted house for a seance only for one of their group to die, they decided cover up is easy but then guilt and intruige become them and decide to go back.

This was a fairly decent British film, being a child of the 80s, did people have that type of wallpaper they had in the film?? Singer Frankie Avalon seems to be the group leader, decision maker and ladies man. The film does seem to have a few messy bits with the script and direction but does play off well with the kills and plot twists. Worth a watch. 6out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Haunted-House-Horror-1969-1000.jpg (99.2 KB, 5 views)
Old 6th June 2019, 10:29 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
The Haunted House of Horror (Horror House) 1969.

A group of teenagers decide to leave a party and go to a haunted house for a seance only for one of their group to die, they decided cover up is easy but then guilt and intruige become them and decide to go back.

This was a fairly decent British film, being a child of the 80s, did people have that type of wallpaper they had in the film?? Singer Frankie Avalon seems to be the group leader, decision maker and ladies man. The film does seem to have a few messy bits with the script and direction but does play off well with the kills and plot twists. Worth a watch. 6out of 10.
I had this blu-ray in my basket a few weeks back. The art cards and free poster almost won me over but when it came down to it £25 was a lot for a film i couldn't actually watch and in truth isn't actually that special. Yes it has it's moments but it also has it's fairly flat parts too. I know Michael Armstrong bloody loves it but it is his film. Ended up happy to just have my Odeon dvd.
Old 6th June 2019, 10:39 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

According to posts online, there’s a major issue with the audio on the blu ray, some kind of noticeable scratching that Screenbound claim to be on the actual film, yet others say that all other releases don’t have this problem i.e they aren’t fixing it!
It’s on Amazon Prime Video for those that want to watch it without spending 20 odd quid on a faulty disc
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 6th June 2019, 11:01 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
According to posts online, there’s a major issue with the audio on the blu ray, some kind of noticeable scratching that Screenbound claim to be on the actual film, yet others say that all other releases don’t have this problem i.e they aren’t fixing it!
It’s on Amazon Prime Video for those that want to watch it without spending 20 odd quid on a faulty disc
Problem & faults seem to slowly becoming the norm these days.

Like this? Share it using the links below!