Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

fuzzymctiger 27th January 2013 10:24 PM

Am I the only person who didn't come close to crying during Toy Story 3?

Actually, the closest I came to crying recently was when I saw Dark Knight Rises in the cinemas, at the end.

PaulD 27th January 2013 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger (Post 316931)
Actually, the closest I came to crying recently was when I saw Dark Knight Rises in the cinemas, at the end.

Again, same here!!

JoshuaKaitlyn 27th January 2013 11:05 PM

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (1916)
Intolerance (1916) If there was ever a movie that cried out for a MoC transfer its this one!:nod:

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/memb...tml#post316937

ThePopeofCOSDS 28th January 2013 12:17 AM

Bloodbeat - Needs to be seen to be believed. Church Review

Hawkmonger 28th January 2013 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger (Post 316931)

That made me cry. But not for the right reasons....

[/spoilers/]

****ing Robin! That wasn't ****ing Robin, that was bloody Azrael! **** you Christopher Nolen! **** you all over! 'Goes off to have nerd rage in secret'

PaulD 28th January 2013 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 316952)
That made me cry. But not for the right reasons....

[/spoilers/]

****ing Robin! That wasn't ****ing Robin, that was bloody Azrael! **** you Christopher Nolen! **** you all over! 'Goes off to have nerd rage in secret'

He had nothing in common with Azrael at all, beyond the mantle-taking! He definitely was a composite of Dick Grayson (orphan), Jason Todd (hotheadedness) and Tim Drake (uses detective skills to deduce Batman's identity)

Hawkmonger 28th January 2013 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 316954)
He had nothing in common with Azrael at all, beyond the mantle-taking! He definitely was a composite of Dick Grayson (orphan), Jason Todd (hotheadedness) and Tim Drake (uses detective skills to deduce Batman's identity)

That's my problem. Robin (Dick Grayson) only took up the mantel of Batman long after I lost faith in DC ever producing anything of interest. Knightfall came at a time when DC where at there best, and damned if KF isn't one of the best BM storys around. Azrael to me will be the only 'other' BM, regardless of stupid costume. But this is just how I see it, I could have been much more happy with the film if CN had left it out. The film was still a bit of a fail though but thats for another day.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 28th January 2013 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn (Post 316938)
Intolerance (1916) If there was ever a movie that cried out for a MoC transfer its this one!:nod:

Intolerance is a sublime piece of cinema which hasn't had a decent DVD release yet, never mind anything in high definition. A Masters of Cinema dual format, preferably with a Steelbook as well, makes so much sense I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet.

PaulD 28th January 2013 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 316956)
That's my problem. Robin (Dick Grayson) only took up the mantel of Batman long after I lost faith in DC ever producing anything of interest. Knightfall came at a time when DC where at there best, and damned if KF isn't one of the best BM storys around. Azrael to me will be the only 'other' BM, regardless of stupid costume. But this is just how I see it, I could have been much more happy with the film if CN had left it out. The film was still a bit of a fail though but thats for another day.

Grayson actually takes on the role of Batman in Prodigal which came out the same year Knightfall finished #nerdfacts :)

To be honest, I think that Grant Morrison's Grayson-as-Batman stories are far more interesting than Knightfall to be honest, His whole run on Batman is one of the best since Neal Adam's stuff in the 70's as far as I'm concerned but that's another discussion for another thread

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 28th January 2013 08:54 AM

Last week's viewing: two trips to the cinema, seventeen Best Picture Oscar winners (making good inroads on my viewing challenge) and one 'odd one out' – no prizes for guessing which are which!

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/...ps9f5aa899.jpg

Frankie Teardrop 28th January 2013 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePopeofCOSDS (Post 316941)
Bloodbeat - Needs to be seen to be believed. Church Review

I've seen it. I still can't quite believe it, however.

sawyer6 28th January 2013 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 316962)
Last week's viewing: two trips to the cinema, eighteen Best Picture Oscar winners (making good inroads on my viewing challenge) and one 'odd one out' – no prizes for guessing which are which!

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/...ps9f5aa899.jpg

You mean 17

sawyer6 28th January 2013 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 316957)
Intolerance is a sublime piece of cinema which hasn't had a decent DVD release yet, never mind anything in high definition. A Masters of Cinema dual format, preferably with a Steelbook as well, makes so much sense I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet.

I believe Eureka will release it one day

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 28th January 2013 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sawyer6 (Post 316966)
You mean 17

Yes I do – basic arithmetic isn't my strong point after 3-4 hours sleep!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 28th January 2013 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sawyer6 (Post 316968)
I believe Eureka will release it one day

Aren't they releasing Birth of a Nation? If so, Intolerance would be a logical step for the next quarter.

sawyer6 28th January 2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 316970)
Aren't they releasing Birth of a Nation? If so, Intolerance would be a logical step for the next quarter.

That's my thought too :nod:

Hawkmonger 28th January 2013 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 316959)
Grayson actually takes on the role of Batman in Prodigal which came out the same year Knightfall finished #nerdfacts :)

To be honest, I think that Grant Morrison's Grayson-as-Batman stories are far more interesting than Knightfall to be honest, His whole run on Batman is one of the best since Neal Adam's stuff in the 70's as far as I'm concerned but that's another discussion for another thread

Wasn't prodigal retconned though? I heard it was though, as I saidmy knowledge of the big two is OOD. The New 52 put me off them for age's.

PaulD 28th January 2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 317032)
Wasn't prodigal retconned though? I heard it was though, as I saidmy knowledge of the big two is OOD. The New 52 put me off them for age's.

Probably been retconned following the last reboot, yeah. I'm sure it gets mentioned in Morrison's Batman and Robin stories though.

fuzzymctiger 28th January 2013 12:33 PM

Oh dear, what have I started? :tongue1:

Susan Foreman 28th January 2013 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger (Post 317044)
Oh dear, what have I started? :tongue1:

Since I have been a member of this forum, I have thought that MANY times!

Susan Foreman 28th January 2013 03:45 PM

Over the last week or so, I have been watching 'The Baker Street Dozen' box set - the complete Universal Basil Rathbone/Nigel Bruce Sherlock Holmes/Dr. Watson films:

House Of Fear (1945): The Scarlet Claw (1944 Face Of Death (1943) Pursuit To Algiers (1945) The Pearl Of Death (1944) Spider Woman (1943) In Washington (1942) Voice Of Terror (Dir. John Rawlins, 1942) Terror By Night (Dir. John Rawlins, 1942) Woman In Green (1944) Secret Weapon (1942) Dressed To Kill (1946)

Most enjoyable for the most part, but I can't help thinking, 'other that for filmic value, why would a genius like Holmes (Rathbone) choose to be saddled with a buffoon like Watson (Bruce)'!

Hawkmonger 28th January 2013 04:04 PM

At least me and PaulD aren't bickering as such, just interpritations. I still think the Robin revelation sucked as Nolan said he wouldn't pull that card out but, hey ho.

pedromonkey 28th January 2013 04:09 PM

Watched a load of films recently....

DEATH RIDES A HORSE (1967)
Pretty cool, if a little overlong Spaghetti western, Lee Van Cleef is incredibly bad ass and John Phillip Law is incredibly wooden. Great action scenes and a pretty awesome Score too. Recommended

PLANET OF THE APES (1968)
Never get bored of this awesome film, Chuck Heston is cool as Taylor and Linda Harrison is tasty as Nova. Even though i've seen this film countless times it still never fails to engross me.

THE STRANGE WORLD OF PLANET X (1958)
Pretty crap british sci-fi film from the late 50s. Not really worth going into too much detail. Badly written, acted and edited.

PIRANHA (1978)
Great fun monster film from Joe Dante and Roger Corman. Played straight as apposed to the recent remake which works in it's favor. Watched the new Second Sight blu-ray for review purposes and can say that it looks great and there's some good extra's too.

THE OMEGA MAN (1971)
This second version of Richard Matheson's fantastic book, dispenses with the Vampires and opts more mutants and a strange class struggle between mutie and the only surviving normal, that is until he meets afro lady and her band of survivors. Good location work and some pretty well staged action scenes but a definite product of the 70s that hasn't aged well. Still a lot of fun to be had.

A FISTFUL OF DOLLAR (1964)
What can I say that hasn't already been said about this film, A wonderful movie with the iconic Clint as the man with no name even though here he's called Joe. Violent, funny and superbly made.

JOE KIDD (1972)
A Minor Clint western and one of John Sturges' weakest films, a good cast that includes Robert Duval can't help a film that is too short and missing something. Clint is his awesome self as usual but it's just not the best film of it's kind.

WILD BILL (1995)
Possibly Walter Hill's worst film (i liked Supernova), the plot is a bit of a shambles and the constant cutting to badly shot black and white flash backs started to grate on me after a while. Jeff Bridges is great as Wild Bill and the rest of the cast are pretty good too but the film just felt episodic and flat. It was fun spotting the different actors from different Hill films though.

THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN (1960)
Possibly my all time favorite western. Just a fantastic film with a stand out cast, a funny thought provoking script and one of the most iconic musical scores of all time. Love it.

BIG JAKE (1971)
The Duke as an old school badass in a changing world, great fun with mr Wayne and his sons and beautifully filmed too. Exceedingly violent for a non spaghetti western.

LES MISERABLES (2013)
Now i have seen the stage version and the 25th anniversary concert so was expecting something spectacular with this, however it bored the living shit out of me, i seriously considered getting up an leaving and buying a ticket for the new Arnie film, but as it was a present for my mother and i didn't pay for the tickets, i stayed. It's far too long for a musical, it is very well made and acted but my god did i find it boring. Not my cup of tea i guess.

Nordicdusk 28th January 2013 04:15 PM

Fantastic list Pedro.

I have not seen LES MISERABLES.

Hawkmonger 28th January 2013 04:28 PM

I can honestly say Les Miserables is the single most boring experience of my life. It cured my (joke in questionable taste alert) Insomnia thats for sure.

keirarts 28th January 2013 05:47 PM

Say it isnt so.

Not seen this one until now. I'm fairly certain it was one that was on the shelves back when I started at blocky way back in 2002. Well, its not great but it has its moments, especially all the stuff with richard jenkins. Dont really regret mising it all these years though.

Shake hands with the devil.

Harrowing doucmentary following canadian un leader Romeo Dallaire returning to rwanda where he led the un forces and was forced to sit back and watch the country descend into genocide. Its a stark warning about what can happen if western powers remain complaicent to horrors in the third world.

Frankie Teardrop 28th January 2013 06:40 PM

Haven't really been watching / writing all that much lately. Here are a few thoughts from over the last couple of weeks:

PHENOMENA: Maybe not Dario's finest moment, but certainly one of his wackiest. For this reason alone, probably my favourite Argento. I'm sure I don't need to remind people about the the insect ESP, mutant kid, chimp with razors and Iron Maiden soundtrack. Stylistically cooler after the excesses of the seventies, but still has a dreamy eighties pop video vibe.

BORDELLO DEATH TALES: Brit Indie horror triptypche. I didn't like it that much, but the first two tales had enough eccentricity about them to hold my attention. The second one in particular is an interesting cod expressionistic remix of 'Bride of Frankenstein' and features an actress with a stunning face.

BRAINSCAN: Wasn't expecting much, but I really enjoyed this neat little B-movie with E Furlong as a kid mixed up in virtual reality. Has that late eighties /early ninties smoothness, but isn't as bland as I thought it might be, and boasts some nice stylistic flourishes like a giallo style killing. Apparently has quite a sizeable cult following, but I'd never heard of it before picking it up the other day. Good.

PAN'S LABYRINTH: Finally relented and watched this after being pestered by colleagues. Have to admit, it really worked for me on pretty much every level. Visually great, some excellent fantasy sequences, surprisingly grotesque bits. The narrative is sculpted and poised, never seeming disjointed despite its various threads. It's moving, but also pretty harsh.

VIDEODROME: Thirty years old and as relevant today as ever - the technology has changed, but the 'Videodrome's' concerns haven't dated. Interesting to compare it to the recent 'Berberian Sound Studio', an ostensibly very different film which does share some common ground. 'Videodrome' is not about a man losing his grip on reality, however - it suggests that there's no such thing as 'a grip' on 'reality' in the first place. Brilliant, but almost everyone here knows that anyway.

TOXIC AVENGER: I usually dislike broad comedy horror, but 'Toxic Avenger' is so deliriously twisted it will always have a special place in my heart. Some bits of it make me cringe, but the ridiculously hate-fuelled first half, set in the living nightmare of an eighties gym, always draws me right in. Totally synthetic and eighties, but somehow raw and crude.

I STAND ALONE: A trip through the headspace of a nihilistic French butcher, this is a primal scream of a film. Either that, or it's the work of a clever controversialist. It doesn't matter which is 'true', 'I Stand Alone' is about as vivid, traumatic and bleak as cinema gets. This is like Celine on celluloid, except there was probably more compassion and human warmth in his world than in the one shown here. There's no requirement for any graphic depiction in this case, and it's interesting that several recent well known 'transgressive' flicks don't come close to conjuring the level of sadness, sordidness and desperation which haunt 'I Stand Alone's every frame. The final twenty minutes or so, when the butcher takes his autistic daughter to a hotel room, are truly painful to bear, with Gaspar Noe playing with our heads at every turn. Brilliant but difficult.

Dave Boy 28th January 2013 07:11 PM

Tales Of Terror (1962)
I,Monster (1971)
The Crazies (1973)

Demdike@Cult Labs 28th January 2013 07:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Slave Girls from Beyond Infinity (1987)

I'm not sure what to say about this. It was one of those films a teenage me used to love and was desperate to see in the hope of seeing some t & a without renting an Electric Blue tape. If truth be told there's not an awful lot of t & a involved in Slave Girls anyway.

Now slap bang in January 2013, here i am watching Slave Girls from Beyond Infinity again and unfortunately there isn't a lot to it really. Sub standard acting, risible dialogue, shocking effects and worst of all a vhs transfer.

A take on the classic story The Most Dangerous Game, this is easily the worst version i've seen. The plot is simple, two slave girls crash land on a planet, are taken in and fed then let loose and hunted down by the dastardly Zed, a Christian Bale lookalike without the acting talent. The film never creates any tension and the action scenes are well, amateurish to say the least. Finally to top it all, the girls aren't that great looking either

I suppose if, like me, you remember films from this era on the racks of your local video rental shop then by all means relive those days, just don't go in, as a new viewer, with high expectations.

Film stills are here. http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/gene...tml#post317220

Pete 28th January 2013 07:24 PM

Stuff I've watched recently:

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...Z3qFiWKUE2ZmZQ http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV...0,214,317_.jpg http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV...0,202,300_.jpg http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV...0,214,317_.jpg

Demdike@Cult Labs 28th January 2013 07:27 PM

Broken links Pete.

Pete 28th January 2013 07:30 PM

IDLE HANDS, ED AND HIS DEAD MOTHER, VAMPIRE'S KISS and VENOM.

keirarts 28th January 2013 07:52 PM

Demonic Toys.

You can't really go wrong with a charles band production featuring animated toys/puppets. A bunch of people including a cop and a delivery boy find themselves trapped in a warehouse and tormented by toys. Its pretty much what you expect and for me that wasnt a bad thing. Considering 88 films are releasing all the full moon stuff heres hoping this gets the HD treatment. 70+ minutes of pure fun.

keirarts 28th January 2013 11:00 PM

Dollman vs demonic toys.

Actually works (somewhat) as a direct follow on to Demonic Toys (even though there is a demonic toys 2) as Tracy scoggins chraracter returns from the origional and enlists Dollmans help in fighting the killer toys! We also get ginger from Bad channels (though a check of imdb to confirm this is a continuity goof and not the only one in the movie) so its a bit of a crossover of various full moon titles into one VERY short movie. At under an hour I did feel a little cheated but the whole thing was daftly entertaining.

Raise the Titanic.

The film that lost a LOT of money, this one has often been lumped in with films like heavens gate and waterworld (both films I like BTW!) Watching it now its a decent adventure movie that feels well paced and is interesting to watch. Dirk pitt is annoying but thats always been more a fault of clive cussler than the filmmaker and its great to see Jason robards in anything!!

also finally caught the last few episodes of season 2 of justified. (its not a film so probably not the place to go into too much detail) Need to find season 3 now and Walton goggins needs his own show (great actor!)

ThePopeofCOSDS 28th January 2013 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 316964)
I've seen it. I still can't quite believe it, however.

Welcome to the (admittedly very small) club! ;)

Ranarchy 29th January 2013 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicdusk (Post 313878)
I enjoyed the first episode how it the rest.

It's kinda confusing really.....

And as you get to know everyone, you realize that the majority of the cast is solely self centered, so that always bugged me.....

Cuz aren't you supposed to identify and root for some of these characters. I find myself not caring if anyone lives or dies.... Haven't seen the new season yet.

Ranarchy 29th January 2013 07:29 AM

Weird kinda' day with my friends over.....

Evil Dead: Enjoyed watchin' this again.

Spawn: Total guilty pleasure, still have the soundtrack since I was a kid

Rapid Fire: Brandon Lee Macho-Cheesey Goodness!

Little Nicky: "Ladies' Choice" on this one. Not bad all in all, I think I liked this more as a teenager.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 29th January 2013 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 317212)
PAN'S LABYRINTH: Finally relented and watched this after being pestered by colleagues. Have to admit, it really worked for me on pretty much every level. Visually great, some excellent fantasy sequences, surprisingly grotesque bits. The narrative is sculpted and poised, never seeming disjointed despite its various threads. It's moving, but also pretty harsh.

Really glad you've only got to see this and thought it was the masterpiece I (and others) consider it to be. It's such a brilliant piece of filmmaking by del Toro – easily his best – and one which continues to impress with each viewing. I saw it at the cinema and thought it was so good I went back the next day where I was again moved to tears.

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 29th January 2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 317320)
Really glad you've only got to see this and thought it was the masterpiece I (and others) consider it to be. It's such a brilliant piece of filmmaking by del Toro – easily his best – and one which continues to impress with each viewing. I saw it at the cinema and thought it was so good I went back the next day where I was again moved to tears.

Here! Here! Well said, Nos. Pan's Labyrinth is one of the most beautiful and touching recent movies. I totally agree it's a masterpiece of cinema!

Handyman Joe 29th January 2013 10:17 AM

That Obscure Object of Desire - I'm ashamed to say my first Luis Bunuel movie, now i want to see all 32! What a clever, light on its feet piece of filmmaking this is - like a dream, but in a subtle way that gets into your subconscious rather than weird for weirds sake. The Studio Canal blu looks amazing and check the extras - the jaw droppingly beautiful leading ladies haven't aged a day in over 30 years - spooky!
Any Bunuel experts on here? Where should I go next guys? (or gals, but one doesn't want to sound like old Jimmy!) - Going to get Discreet Charm... but not sure if there's any foreign blus?