Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179616Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th June 2019, 04:00 PM
Cult Acolyte

WHIRLPOOL
Vivian Neves stars as a young model who goes to live with a creepy photographer and his equally strange aunt, in Jose Larraz’s debut feature, beautifully restored on Arrow’s Larraz boxset.
I really like Larraz as a director - I think he has quite a unique style. His obsession with the beauty / danger of the English countryside is in very much in evidence here. Great extras here too, including Parky’s cringey interview with Neves from 1971.

THE LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE
Basically a retelling of THE HAUNTING, this 70s version has Pamela Franklin as a medium, called in with three others to investigate paranormal happenings at Hell House, which has been abandoned for 20 years ever since a bunch of deaths there twenty years ago.
This is very atmospheric and the scares and effects are cleverly done. In other hands this could have been quite exploitative, but director John Hough goes for atmosphere instead, making an enjoyable, if restrained for the 70s, movie experience.
Old 14th June 2019, 09:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

IT CONQUERED THE WORLD.

A scientist is in communication with an alien intelligence which is controlling the population of a small town by flying jelly fish. It's up to another scientist( Peter Graves) and friend of the loony scientist to stop the aliens attempt to control the world, what little tension we have is lost when we see the creature. 5/10

THis ISLAND EARTH.

A brilliant scientist is contacted by what turns out to be alien to be part of a think tank of other scientists , the scientist soon begins to.doubt how trustworthy the aliens are and if they have mankinds best interests at heart. A classic. 9/10

Now watching fiend without a face.

MV5BMTgxYzc3NjAtN2QwNy00NGM5LTgzYTktNTRiZjhmNjEwYjJjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQ2MjQyNDc%40._V1_.jpgMV5BMDIzYWI3MWMtNTQ3OC00Y2Q5LThjODEtZTgxMWMyNDgwNzZjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI%40._V1_SX667_CR0.jpg

Sent from my KFSUWI using Tapatalk
Old 14th June 2019, 11:05 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Now watching fiend without a face.
Really like that one myself. Hope you enjoy it.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 14th June 2019, 11:23 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Really like that one myself. Hope you enjoy it.
I did, think it would of made a great Pertwee era Doctor who story.
Old 15th June 2019, 11:20 AM
Cult Master

73257.jpg

Its 1980 in Texas and he new batch of fresh men are just arriving on campus. For some its scary for others its exciting taking the first steps alone away from home and building their futures but for Jake and his buddies they are here to play baseball drink beer and chase ass.

From the director of Dazed and Confused i did expect more yes it was entertaining but it did feel like it was trying to ride on the coat tails of his previous success. Instead of the football team of Dazed and Confused we have the baseball team we have the philosophical stoner the the guy old enough to be everyones dad but is some who still in collage the main guy has many similarities with Pink from that other film i could go on but i wont.

Overall it was watchable but nothing id watch again i stumbled upon it late on channel 4 last night so if you find yourself at a loose end at 1am and this come one why not but seek it out purposely i would not.

5/10
Old 15th June 2019, 11:49 AM
Cult Master

screen_shot_2017_05_05_at_32247_pm.jpg

A disfigured child bullied and tormented by the local kids hides in the swaps with his father in there lonely home far from prying eyes. But everything changes one halloween when a prank goes wrong and poor Victor Crowley is trapped and burned in his house and his father tries to break him free but accidently kills the boy with an axe trying to cut down the door. His poor father is left a broken man and locks himself away until his death. But now Victor is back for revenge.

There is no plot twist there is no real deep story Hatchet is straight to the point a bunch of fools go on a ghost tour if the swap and all die is various ways. Acting is horrendous everyone is an asshole but love that in films like this cause y'all GONNA DIE.

The gore here is fantastic there is not long winded chasing people down and hiding its just see someone grab someone rip someone apart. YESSSS SIR

Gore 8/10
Acting 0/10

Film 7/10
Old 15th June 2019, 12:09 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Attachment 215980

A disfigured child bullied and tormented by the local kids hides in the swaps with his father in there lonely home far from prying eyes. But everything changes one halloween when a prank goes wrong and poor Victor Crowley is trapped and burned in his house and his father tries to break him free but accidently kills the boy with an axe trying to cut down the door. His poor father is left a broken man and locks himself away until his death. But now Victor is back for revenge.

There is no plot twist there is no real deep story Hatchet is straight to the point a bunch of fools go on a ghost tour if the swap and all die is various ways. Acting is horrendous everyone is an asshole but love that in films like this cause y'all GONNA DIE.

The gore here is fantastic there is not long winded chasing people down and hiding its just see someone grab someone rip someone apart. YESSSS SIR

Gore 8/10
Acting 0/10
Mercedes McNab - 8/10

Film 7/10
Nordicdusk likes this.
Old 15th June 2019, 12:17 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 15th June 2019, 12:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I like all four Hatchet films, they’re proper throwbacks to 80’s slashers with some inventive kills
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 15th June 2019, 12:26 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I like all four Hatchet films, they’re proper throwbacks to 80’s slashers with some inventive kills
Seconded

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Like this? Share it using the links below!