Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

BioZombie 6th June 2010 08:29 AM

I wactched Killer Nun last night. I found it fairly enjoyable but not quite as extreme as the box makes out. It could have done with a bit more killing, however I though the scene where the old lady got stuck with pins was well done, not a nice was to go!:eek:

I have Torse lined up tonight then I'll have to look into ordering the next couple of Shamless releases.

bdc 6th June 2010 10:49 AM

Just watched the new Belgian dvd of The Afterman and I'd say forget about that Mad Max quote on it's slipcase!
It really has nothing to do with that kind of post-apocalyptic films at all.
Think what would happen if Rollin and Franco would co-direct a very low budget post apocalyptic film and had jodorowsky drop in for tea...it's a decent movie if that idea appeals to you. ;)
Not for the uninitiated or people expecting mutants and futuristic vehicles and stuff though.
I'd say it's probably closer to Vase de noces...included are necrophilia,homosexual rape,heterosexual rape,cannibalism,a weird sect,some gory deaths,plenty of nudity and more.
Provocative cinema that seems to flirt with the arthouse.

The new dvd has very nice packaging (digi inside a dlipcase) but no extras (except some text on the sleeve) and it seems to be a dvd-r?
It is an official release though.
Seeing this is underground cinema,I'm not that surprised.

PS Apparently more than 600,000 copies were sold of the Japanese vhs?

nekromantik 6th June 2010 11:15 AM

We gotta agree to disagree here then :lol:

I re-watached Deaths of Ian Stone last night. The first half is good and some pretty good ideas but then end and explanation was kinda weak so ruined the movie. They could have done so much more with this movie shame really.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 6th June 2010 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 84428)
out of his last 3 I Like em in this order

Diary
Land
Survival

I completely agree with you on that one. Diary was an intelligent and well made 'found footage' movie that really works for me. Land was a nicely made zombie movie that was unmistakably Romero although the usual political and social subtext was more overt there than in any other of his zombie movies. Survival was just a mess, I mean a feud between rival Irish clans? What the hell was all that about? If it was made by anyone else that George A. Romero, we would have been saying that it was okay, but nothing special, but as a Romero zombie film comes with a certain expectation, it just made a poor film seem even worse.

pedromonkey 6th June 2010 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu (Post 84478)
I completely agree with you on that one. Diary was an intelligent and well made 'found footage' movie that really works for me. Land was a nicely made zombie movie that was unmistakably Romero although the usual political and social subtext was more overt there than in any other of his zombie movies. Survival was just a mess, I mean a feud between rival Irish clans? What the hell was all that about? If it was made by anyone else that George A. Romero, we would have been saying that it was okay, but nothing special, but as a Romero zombie film comes with a certain expectation, it just made a poor film seem even worse.

Like said many times and even in my review, Survival seems like an unfinished Film, it has a begining and and End but no middle, it seems to have been rushed out, 88 minutes long?, it the shortest Romero film, but what we did get was good, sure it's not on par with Diary or Land but neither of them are anywhere near as good as night, Dawn and Day. i'll continue supporting Romero and his zombies because hell he's Romero.

This is how i rate his new film....

Land
Diary
Survival

Gigantor 6th June 2010 11:53 AM

Mentioning Diarrhea er Diary of The Dead and DAY and DAWN in the same sention is just wrong.Unless the term" is a piece of shit compared to" is used.DIARY is a terrible movie even more so considering who directed it.I like Romero and most of his films but DIARY sucked,to put it bluntly.

nekromantik 6th June 2010 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gigantor (Post 84492)
Mentioning Diarrhea er Diary of The Dead and DAY and DAWN in the same sention is just wrong.Unless the term" is a piece of shit compared to" is used.DIARY is a terrible movie even more so considering who directed it.I like Romero and most of his films but DIARY sucked,to put it bluntly.

I dont think anyone is saying Diary is anywhere near as good as Day or Dawn. We saying its the best out of his last 3 modern zombie flicks. You would be crazy even to compare his new 3 with old 3.

Gojirosan 6th June 2010 12:19 PM

I reckon Diary Of The Dead is pretty damned good. It's not so far behind the original trilogy.

An excellent film IMO.

As for Survival Of The Dead, the "rival clans a-feudin'" was a comedy revival of a once common trope used in Westerns, but instead of sheep-men vs cattle-men fighting over territory we have kill-the-zombie vs train-the-zombie. I thought it was a superb and funny idea well executed.

The film is a Western, but set on an island, in modern day, with zombies! I wonder if people missed that? It's meant to be a funny retread of ancient Hollywood themes in a modern way.

Is Romero not allowed to make a comedy? Must all his zombie films be the same?

pedromonkey 6th June 2010 12:36 PM

Good points you got there Goji.

Watched Braindead last night, i don't think anything has ever matched its Gore content. Old school Peter Jackson was awesome....

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 6th June 2010 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 84499)
I reckon Diary Of The Dead is pretty damned good. It's not so far behind the original trilogy.

An excellent film IMO.

As for Survival Of The Dead, the "rival clans a-feudin'" was a comedy revival of a once common trope used in Westerns, but instead of sheep-men vs cattle-men fighting over territory we have kill-the-zombie vs train-the-zombie. I thought it was a superb and funny idea well executed.

The film is a Western, but set on an island, in modern day, with zombies! I wonder if people missed that? It's meant to be a funny retread of ancient Hollywood themes in a modern way.

Is Romero not allowed to make a comedy? Must all his zombie films be the same?

I completely agree with your sentiments on Diary; I really like [Rec] but found Diary to be a more intelligent zombie movie (I know [Rec] isn't strictly speaking a zombie movie as the people are infected but, what the hey!).

When watching Survival, I never thought of it as a comedy look on the old Western theme of territorial conflict as I was too busy trying to come to terms with the dreadful dialogue, non-existent characterisation and fairly poor direction. It certainly wasn't a Romero film that you can look back and say "That was something special" and I would guess that, in years time, people will watch it in the light of Romero's oeuvre and see if the weaker film it is, without the longevity of the more little known films like The Crazies, Season of the Witch and Knight Riders.


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright © 2014 Cult Laboratories Ltd. All rights reserved.