Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

PaulD 29th January 2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 317212)
BRAINSCAN: Wasn't expecting much, but I really enjoyed this neat little B-movie with E Furlong as a kid mixed up in virtual reality. Has that late eighties /early ninties smoothness, but isn't as bland as I thought it might be, and boasts some nice stylistic flourishes like a giallo style killing. Apparently has quite a sizeable cult following, but I'd never heard of it before picking it up the other day. Good.

Haven't seen this since catching it late on Sky Movies years ago. Would be interested in seeing how it holds up as I remember really enjoying it in a throwaway sort of way.

Beyond72 29th January 2013 10:34 AM

Horror Star / The Frighteners

trebor8273 29th January 2013 01:36 PM

men in black 3.
horror express
street trash
miss congeniality

not films but watched some breaking bad and Frasier a show i can watch again and again and never get bored of

Frankie Teardrop 29th January 2013 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 317320)
Really glad you've only got to see this and thought it was the masterpiece I (and others) consider it to be. It's such a brilliant piece of filmmaking by del Toro – easily his best – and one which continues to impress with each viewing. I saw it at the cinema and thought it was so good I went back the next day where I was again moved to tears.

There's no doubt it's an excellent piece of filmmaking. What won me over was the fact that it didn't shrink away from the horror aspect. The ending teetered on the brink of sentimentality, but pulled back by being truthful and bleak... I watched on a bit of a downer, so ditto re the weepiness you mention.

Frankie Teardrop 29th January 2013 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 317324)
Haven't seen this since catching it late on Sky Movies years ago. Would be interested in seeing how it holds up as I remember really enjoying it in a throwaway sort of way.

Yes, 'throwaway' is right, a disposable but tasty morsel. Could've done with a bit more splatter, but then it was the early nineties - I always think genre cinema from back then was relatively anaemic. Anyway, it's well paced and never really bores, and was going for two quid when I got it in HMV the other day.

Hawkmonger 29th January 2013 03:16 PM

Motel Hell (Kevin Connor-1980): Well that was a bit good. Light on gore (yet not on evicerated limbs) but high on atmosphere, this is a mid ground slasher fair that has the twist that we know all along who the killers are. The question is why as they seem to be (mostly) sane. As I said, the atmosphere is great and the garden sequences actualy had me squerming. I'd happily shell out for a Bd of th-oh wait! 'One Pre-order later'
:happy:

Next? I feel like watching Argo on friday.

Demoncrat 29th January 2013 03:20 PM

Cough showing someone Srpski either tonight or tomorrow. Wish me luck!!;);)

Hawkmonger 29th January 2013 04:37 PM

Not seen the full film, but just watched 10 miunets of Project X with college freinds. Had to walk out of the room it was such a vulger film. Have no intention of watching the whole thing.

trebor8273 29th January 2013 04:46 PM

Just started to watch dredd on blu ray

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 29th January 2013 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 317386)
There's no doubt it's an excellent piece of filmmaking. What won me over was the fact that it didn't shrink away from the horror aspect. The ending teetered on the brink of sentimentality, but pulled back by being truthful and bleak... I watched on a bit of a downer, so ditto re the weepiness you mention.

When you watch it more than once, you'll notice how the real world is represented in the fantasy world, with different architecture and different representations of monsters. Perhaps the most terrifying scene is when Captain Vidal meets the two poachers, casually beating one to death with a bottle before shooting the other and then berating the soldiers for not searching them properly.

Hawkmonger 29th January 2013 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 317440)
Just started to watch dredd on blu ray

Everytime money false into Alex Garlands bank account a 2000AD fan starts masterbating. True story!:lol:

trebor8273 29th January 2013 05:09 PM

Do think everyone should buy dredd, with any luck if it makes enough we might make enough money for the two sequels the had planned if it did make enough money. Such a shame when a good movie like this does poorly while :censored: like twilight makes money!!

I know it being in 3d might of had something to do with it as a lot of people don't like it, with any luck if they do another movie they will put out both versions. Even though as I said its one of the best use of 3d in a movie I have seen.

PaulD 29th January 2013 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 317449)
I know it being in 3d might of had something to do with it as a lot of people don't like it, with any luck if they do another movie they will put out both versions. Even though as I said its one of the best use of 3d in a movie I have seen.

The distribution of it was the main problem; there simply weren't enough non-3D screenings of it which is always going to put people off. I was so close to not seeing it due to my dislike for the format (which I don't think added anything to the film, slo-no scenes and all)

trebor8273 29th January 2013 05:17 PM

It's strange I'm not that keen on 3d on cinema but did get a 3d tv before Xmas, mainly because it was a good deal compared to other tvs I was looking at. But for some strange reason I find myself enjoying 3D more sitting at home, even though most movies the 3D is a complete waste of time, but a few are ok and I have the tv now so seems a bit silly not getting anything on 3d

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th January 2013 05:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Last Winter (2006)

A team working to exploit the oil resources of Alaska find themselves succumbing to unknown fears amidst warnings that the Arctic tundra is thawing.

Wendigo director Larry Fessenden has pulled off another brilliant piece of man vs a supernatural force cinema. Much in the style of Wendigo, The Last Winter's evils are largely unseen, possibly not even real, just the disorientation as each team member as they succumb to unknown forces. Throughout the film Fessenden gives us the explanation that we are destroying our own planet and this is nature's way of fighting back.The films final scenes showing the spirits of long dead animals now back roaming the tundra's as the melting ice free's their fleshless corpses is extremely eerie and superbly executed. Its clear that Fessenden blames global warming and he backs up his arguments with filmed proof throughout which may irritate non believers but to me its a small price to pay for a fascinating film. *

Again as with Wendigo, The Last Winter is a slow paced film, patience from the viewer is required but your time is suitably rewarded with breathtaking photography and brilliant performances from leads Ron Perlman, James Le Gros and Connie Britton. The Last Winter is a beautiful piece and extremely haunting, it's Arctic landscapes both vast and yet claustrophobic at the same time. The unknown threats unravelling the minds of the crew whilst slowly working its way under the skin of the viewer.

The Last Winter would have made a fine prequel to Carpenter's The Thing as it is everything last years CGI heavy debacle is not.

* Do i believe in the theories of global warming? To be truthful i'm not sure, there are valid points both for and against. But i know one thing. Something makes it piss down in Lancashire for forty nine weeks of the year

Slippery Jack 29th January 2013 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 317468)
The unknown threats unravelling the minds of the crew whilst slowly working its way under the skin of the viewer.

Yup, worked brilliantly while it remained unknown. Shame about the dodgy CGI reveal at the end (actually, didn't Wendigo have a crappy monster reveal at the end as well?) . . .

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th January 2013 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 317473)
Yup, worked brilliantly while it remained unknown. Shame about the dodgy CGI reveal at the end (actually, didn't Wendigo have a crappy monster reveal at the end as well?) . . .

I didn't think the CGI was too bad, it was so quick you could miss it and they kinda looked liked spirits. Not that i've seen spirits but in my imagination.

Secondly yes, it looked a simillar creature in Wendigo.

Some stills will be posted on the Film Stills thread in around ten minutes. :)

bdc 29th January 2013 06:58 PM

Little Big Soldier (2009)

Enjoyable historical action adventure but luckily not a "serious historical drama".

It looks a bit drab the way they shot it and I was waiting for a pee joke or two (:loco:) but this is actually a modern Chinese film that reminded me somewhat of the golden days of HK cinema and that will do fine for now. ;)

Little Big Soldier 2010 Movie Trailer 2 - YouTube

trebor8273 29th January 2013 06:59 PM

Finished dredd, now going to watch not of this earth, how is it, anyone seen it?

bdc 29th January 2013 07:05 PM

If it's the one with Traci Lords...I enjoyed it but it's been a while. ;)

trebor8273 29th January 2013 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 317510)
If it's the one with Traci Lords...I enjoyed it but it's been a while. ;)

Yes that's the one!

Dave Boy 29th January 2013 07:37 PM

Man Made Monster (1941)
Horror Island (1941)
Night Monster (1942)

irish 29th January 2013 07:39 PM

some stufff i've watched recently
syndromes and a century 6/10. imho overrated by many critics.
afterward (shades of darkness tv series episode)
6/10
fire (indian movie, but dialogue is almost in english.Someone on imdb stupidly said the movie might have been more authentic, if it had been in subtitles. ie characters weren't speaking english.
a very controversial movie
10/10
Bewitched (shades of darkness ep) 6/10
The girl in the train. (agatha christie hour ep) 6/10. Light and breezy.
The class 2007 10/10
The class 2008 10/10
once upon a time in china 2. 8/10
Warriors of the Rainbow: Seediq Bale 7/10

SShaw 29th January 2013 07:40 PM

Clerks 2 - I know this disappointed many of the fans of the original, but personally I think its great.

Stephen@Cult Labs 29th January 2013 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SShaw (Post 317532)
Clerks 2 - I know this disappointed many of the fans of the original, but personally I think its great.

Yeah, I loved it too. The "pillow pants" scene is funny as hell.

Ranarchy 29th January 2013 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 317535)
Yeah, I loved it too. The "pillow pants" scene is funny as hell.

Great movie! Went to theaters to see it!

mercury 29th January 2013 08:03 PM

Dune......I have to say that this was the most boring film I have ever seen. Anyone on here like it, or dare I say love it:confused:

SShaw 29th January 2013 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranarchy (Post 317543)
Great movie! Went to theaters to see it!

Me too. I attended the U.K. premiere in Edinburgh. None of the cast and crew showed though. It won the festivals audience award.

Nordicdusk 29th January 2013 08:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 98709 Attachment 98710

I love at the start of House By The Cemetery the introduction by Giovanni Frezza saying sorry for his voice in the film :pound:

Frankie Teardrop 29th January 2013 08:08 PM

ANDY WARHOL'S BAD - Set in a world full of total bastards, 'Bad' is the story of a team of female assassins who operate out of an electrolysis salon. Virtually every character on show is a stone cold psychopath - the only one who isn't is somehow pathetic and wretched (interesting how the film satirises, but forces a viewer indentification with a cruel and dehumanising perpective in this instance). It's tongue in cheek, but really callous and cynical, often hilariously so. The baby-out-of-window gag is well documented, but twice as shocking is the male lead's confrontation with an autistic boy at the end of the movie. It could've been a bit tighter and if anything more focussed on the depravity on offer, and to some extent it feels like a (relatively) mainstream homage to / steal from post-Warhol filmmaker John Waters. But there are so many great scenes and bits of dialogue - highlight is when one of the characters wails "I really identify with cigarettes, they're the only thing that's always there" - I'm sure that inspired a line in a Smiths song. 'Bad' really deserves a proper DVD release, the ones out there are to my knowledge all sourced from VHS.

trebor8273 29th January 2013 08:12 PM

Well just finished not of this earth, awful acting and silly script but god I enjoyed it, strange that the opening titles showed all these scenes that weren't in the movie!

Might end the night with phantasm

Hawkmonger 29th January 2013 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mercury (Post 317545)
Dune......I have to say that this was the most boring film I have ever seen. Anyone on here like it, or dare I say love it:confused:

I love it. Great bit of alternative sci-fi with high concept and great visuels. Alot of the theme's from the novel where dropped mind.

bdc 29th January 2013 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 317555)
Well just finished not of this earth, awful acting and silly script but god I enjoyed it, strange that the opening titles showed all these scenes that weren't in the movie!

Might end the night with phantasm

I seem to remember the scenes in the opening titles are from other movies. ;)

Edit:
"The opening credits feature a montage of clips from various other Roger Corman movies, including Battle Beyond the Stars, Forbidden World, Galaxy of Terror, Humanoids from the Deep, Nebo zovyot and Piranha. Sample footage from each of these movies appears numerous times throughout the movie as filler footage, as well as two full-length scenes from Hollywood Boulevard and "Humanoids from the Deep"." (Imdb)

JoshuaKaitlyn 29th January 2013 09:04 PM

Poor Little Rich Girl (1917)

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/memb...tml#post317574

Nordicdusk 29th January 2013 09:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 98714

AMAZING

I will have to pick this up right away its a really fantastic film so funny.

I just watched it on my xbox.

Rik 29th January 2013 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicdusk (Post 317577)
Attachment 98714

AMAZING

I will have to pick this up right away its a really fantastic film so funny.

I just watched it on my xbox.

I'm taking my boys to see this on Sunday morning, taking advantage of Vue Cinemas' Kids AM deal, we missed out when it was first on so I can't wait :)

Nordicdusk 29th January 2013 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 317579)
I'm taking my boys to see this on Sunday morning, taking advantage of Vue Cinemas' Kids AM deal, we missed out when it was first on so I can't wait :)

Your in for a great time i loved it. I really can not recommend it enough.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 29th January 2013 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 317579)

All of you should have a great time as ParaNorman is funny and scary, but not too scary for younger children. It's a little like Ghostbusters in that respect as there are loads of jokes and moments of physical humour – it's also beautifully animated and will keep you and your sons involved from the first minute until the end credits.

Rik 29th January 2013 09:46 PM

We all loved Hotel Transylvania, so I'm sure this will be equally as good, if not better

Ranarchy 29th January 2013 09:48 PM

Creepshow 2: That's how my drawing came to be

Shawshank Redemption: a classic

American Gothic: Kinda forgot I watched this yesterday with my friends, cuz I went to the store near the end

Death Sentence: The Kevin Bacon revenge movie....it was alright

Count Duckula (Season One, all of Disc one)- A lot funnier than I remembered, namely cuz all the adult humor escaped me at the time. Good times