Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 13th July 2008 01:44 PM

Sadly no! :( But I will now you've recommended it.

To be honest theres soo many films I've read in this forum that I haven't seen. For 2 reasons - most of the time they aren't available in the UK or hard 2 get. 2nd reason is i'monly 18! So of course I never lived through the GOLDEN age of horror :( I'm probs the youngest member here! See, not all teenagers have crap taste and just watch 'Transformers'. I LUV horror, and have done for AGGGES! Got a huge horror DVD collection too! As you c I luv this site as I can see films I may never of heard of before.

:)

vipco 13th July 2008 02:27 PM

Check out reap's VIPCO Thread for some good horror films you can pick up in their Black sleeve 'Screem Time' editions for under a fiver, though the quality's no were near that of Shameless.

You cant go wrong with the Shameless range , great films, fantastic quality.
Check out NY Ripper, fantastic.

Whatever you do, DON'T buy the UK version of Cannibal Ferox, its cut to pieces.

mark meakin 13th July 2008 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvdvds (Post 9631)
Unfortionatly they are ALL the UK discs. Sadly I don't have a mulit-region dvd player, which I really should get!

I just watched "The Zombie Dead" (AKA 'Burial Ground' AKA ' The Nights Of Terror') and I really don't know what to make of it. It is definetly so crap its brilliant! That 30-year old midget playing a 10year old seriously suffering from the oedipus complex! Everytime I see him, or even think about him, I burst out laughing!!!!!

Brilliant!

The uncut US discs of ISOYG are region 0 I think anyway but I know the Image version of CA licenced from Canal+ is region 1 only.I also think the US AB release of Maniac is region 0 & I assume the Blue underground re-issue is too (I think BU re-issued it)

mark meakin 13th July 2008 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel (Post 9687)
Retribution Uncut Dutch DVD

Always wondered what the BBFC cuts to this film were. As far as I can see the main cut was to remove a scene showing a man having petrol poured over him and him being set alight as his attackers stand around laughing. Another cut was to the scene where Sally cuts her stomach open with a knife and a blow torch severing somebody's hand.

Just going by memory here as I no longer have the cut UK Video.

Not a bad film but certainly no classic.

I've only ever seen the cut Medusa video but I recall Barry Norman giving the film a surprisingly decent review (for him) years back on its theatrical release.I watched Straightheads on its dvd release & it was watchable but i thought Black Sheep was not funny in the least and rather boring.

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 13th July 2008 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vipco (Post 9701)
Check out reap's VIPCO Thread for some good horror films you can pick up in their Black sleeve 'Screem Time' editions for under a fiver, though the quality's no were near that of Shameless.

You cant go wrong with the Shameless range , great films, fantastic quality.
Check out NY Ripper, fantastic.

Whatever you do, DON'T buy the UK version of Cannibal Ferox, its cut to pieces.

Yeah, I've got some Vipco DVDs but as you said SHAMELESS is FAR SUPERIOR! As for NYR - that was the 1st Shameless film I bought - And I luv it! Great!

I'll avoid CF then - thanks for the advice m8 :)

mark meakin 13th July 2008 04:38 PM

My Grindhouse US version of CF was region 0 too though I think it's OOP now.

vipco 13th July 2008 04:49 PM

I've the Grindhouse version ( R0 ) too, and it plays in my PS3, so your X360 should handle it ok iluvdvds.
I've also the Studio Media Madness Dutch ( R2 ) PAL version , which will play on a UK player, or Console no problem .

mark meakin 14th July 2008 12:36 PM

If it will work on a machine/game console made by Sony it should work on anything as I gather their DVD players are hard to hack.All my machines had remote hacks with the exception of my Acoustic Solutions (!) dvd recorder which was all region straight from the box.This site is an excellent guide to hackable dvd machines:-
http://www.dvd.reviewer.co.uk/info/multiregion/

Philleh 14th July 2008 12:45 PM

La Antena - it's out in August and it's one of the best films I've seen in a long time. Fans of experimental, expressionist and Silent-era films will be in awe when they sit this in their player!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 14th July 2008 11:13 PM

Just watched THE COTTAGE-excellent horror comedy-highly recommended....:woot:

gax 15th July 2008 10:34 AM

just got the Cecchi Gori italian dvd of la settta(the sect),i didnt check the info just bought it placed it in my dvd and its got a english lanague track :) made my day

Paul@TheOverlook 15th July 2008 10:59 AM

Most recent additions to the collection are:

BATMAN BEGINS Blu-ray
JUNO Blu-ray
THE BANK JOB Blu-ray
MACHINE GUN MCCAIN (French DVD)
DOOR INTO DARKNESS (German DVD to replace the one I sold when I expected the NoShame release to come out)

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 15th July 2008 11:53 AM

I just watched "I Spit On Your Grave" - I thought it was a brilliant film and really enjoyed it. Although the DVD i got was soooo crap! The sound was terrible! No special features! And the rape scenes had been cut soo much you never saw anything apart from the characters faces! WTF! If it was uncut i probs would have given it 4/5

vipco 15th July 2008 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark meakin (Post 9758)
If it will work on a machine/game console made by Sony it should work on anything as I gather their DVD players are hard to hack.All my machines had remote hacks with the exception of my Acoustic Solutions (!) dvd recorder which was all region straight from the box.This site is an excellent guide to hackable dvd machines:-
http://www.dvd.reviewer.co.uk/info/multiregion/

Sony equipment needs to be chipped as hacks dont work.
They will play NTSC R0 disc's as long as your TV is NTSC compatible , which most sets now a days are.

I appoligise for going of topic.

gax 15th July 2008 02:26 PM

my copy of torso i won just turned up im watching it now

vipco 15th July 2008 04:19 PM

Love the new avatar gax.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 15th July 2008 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gax (Post 9863)
my copy of torso i won just turned up im watching it now

Glad you got it mate-next comp won't be so easy....;)

TALL DUDE 15th July 2008 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 9829)
Just watched THE COTTAGE-excellent horror comedy-highly recommended....:woot:

Yip,saw this at the flicks and loved it! Some really funny scenes involving that bloke from bottom,spud gun,who played jennifer ellisons bro.

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 16th July 2008 01:24 PM

Hello!

I just watched "Chopping Mall" and it is sooooooooooooo 80's! The bad hair! The soundtrack! The special effects! Imagine 'Robocop' meets 'Dawn Of The Dead' meets 'Attack Of The Killer Tomatoes' and I'd say ur pretty close to this film. The 3 robots (AKA the 'killbots' lol!) are not menacing in the slightest, IMO, they look exactly like that robot from 'Short Circuit' (Johny something). Brilliant!

4/5 - I couldn't stop laughing at it.

In the killbots words, "Thank you and enjoy your day!"

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 16th July 2008 03:54 PM

Oh, "Cannibal Apocalypse" (1980) has just been delivered to my door! The DVD itself looks brilliant! Luving the splattered-blood effect on the cover. Full of special features, including trailers, documentry, tour of locations, filmographies, film notes etc and a little booklet as well. Hopefully the film will be as good as the DVD looks, I'll find out soon enough when I watch it!

vincenzo 16th July 2008 04:06 PM

Yes the Cinema Club release of Cannibal Apocalypse is an excellent addition. The extras are superb (as is the booklet) and the cut to the film (2 secs of a rat on fire) is made so well it's almost impossible to spot.

It's far removed from the 'mondo jungle' style of other cannibal films and more of an old-fashioned horror movie. Great stuff, despite what John Saxon may think.

Angel 16th July 2008 04:32 PM

Yes there's a really good interview with Saxon on the disc.

Angel 16th July 2008 07:32 PM

Edge of Insanity (1989)

Probably the worst Jekyll & Hyde film I have seen. Dreary. Was difficult to take Anthony Perkins as the killer seriously with all that make up. Also for a horror the violence is remarkably tame and that's despite us having the unrated version. However, there is a great deal of salacious detail. The IMDB seems to have got it wrong with their info regarding the previous BBFC cuts. According to them this is what the cuts were

The UK cinema and subsequent Palace video versions were cut by 2 minutes 10 secs by the BBFC to edit a throat slash and scenes of blood spattering. The cuts were waived in 2004 for the MGM release.

Fact is even if all the killings were completely removed it wouldn't add up to even 30 seconds. So clearly a lot more was removed in 1989.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 16th July 2008 07:43 PM

I've yet to watch this....:(

Angel 16th July 2008 07:48 PM

Yeah not too many people appear to have seen this one. It hardly ever gets mentioned on film forums.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 16th July 2008 07:58 PM

It's been sitting on the 'to watch' pile since it came out Angel......:o

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 16th July 2008 08:00 PM

Watched THE GRAVEYARD last night-utter garbage folks,buy this at your peril!:headbang:
Anyone else seen THE COTTAGE yet-superb!;)

TALL DUDE 16th July 2008 08:07 PM

I was a baw hair away from ordering this along with killers moon and frontiers. That bad?

The cottage is excellent.Had a great time with this at the flicks!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 16th July 2008 08:14 PM

Shite you watch mate-it might be right up your street.....:jest:;) Get Killer's Moon though-class act!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 16th July 2008 11:19 PM

Watched REVENGE tonight (1971 Joan Collins Kenneth Griffith) an excellent little Brit thriller.......anyone else seen it?

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 17th July 2008 11:07 AM

Nope I haven't seen that yet. But I did watch "Cannibal Apocalypse" last night. Quite a good film, John Saxon was brilliant as always, quite a good story, I was expecting it to be much more bloody and gory though (although there was blood through out there was nothing amazing - except Bukowski's death and the biker fight)

3.5/5

vincenzo 17th July 2008 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel (Post 10001)
Edge of Insanity (1989)Fact is even if all the killings were completely removed it wouldn't add up to even 30 seconds. So clearly a lot more was removed in 1989.

Yes it's an awful film. Perkins had really lost his way by this time (ever seen In The Deep Woods?).

I don't have a list of cuts so I can only assume the distributors removed far more than the BBFC required back then. Probably some of the sex/drug stuff went too. Been a while since I last saw the cut version and I hope it's a while until I see ANY version again.

Angel 17th July 2008 01:47 PM

Yes I saw In The Deep Woods, I can't remember if I made it to the end, it was so awful.

Yeah the cuts to Edge of Sanity (got the title right this time)- there's a lot of stuff the BBFC could have cut including the opening scene where a child watches a couple having sex and also some Crimes of Passion type sexual acts prior to the 2nd murder, which surprised me. There was also a blood on breasts shot. Quite gruesome as well, though the murder scenes themselves were tame.

vincenzo 17th July 2008 02:56 PM

For me Perkins finest moments were the original Psycho, Pretty Poison and Catch-22. I quite enjoyed Psycho 2 (apart from the abysmal ending) but thought the 3rd one was bilge.

Hard to believe now but he was almost in the film of West Side Story. His singing abilities were surprisingly impressive (in a Bobby Vee sort of way).

mark meakin 17th July 2008 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincenzo (Post 10070)
For me Perkins finest moments were the original Psycho, Pretty Poison and Catch-22. I quite enjoyed Psycho 2 (apart from the abysmal ending) but thought the 3rd one was bilge.

Hard to believe now but he was almost in the film of West Side Story. His singing abilities were surprisingly impressive (in a Bobby Vee sort of way).

I liked Psycho 2 & 3 a great deal.

mark meakin 17th July 2008 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 10034)
Watched REVENGE tonight (1971 Joan Collins Kenneth Griffith) an excellent little Brit thriller.......anyone else seen it?

To be honest considering the cast I was disappointed with this one though it's certainly not bad.I prefer it to Sidney Hayer's Assault but the moody And Soon The Darkness is better than both.I've yet to pick it up but may go r1 for the commentary.

mark meakin 17th July 2008 03:32 PM

Sweeney The Definitive Collection will obviously be in most fans of UK cop shows collections.Surprisingly I've only ever seen a handful of episodes over the years including the Morcambe & Wise one.Nice extras including commentaries,the two films and episodes of Redcaps (never seen any of these)Special Branch (same here)Thick as Thieves (ditto) & The Strange Report (ditto again !)

mark meakin 17th July 2008 03:35 PM

I also got the ITV series The Adventurer for only ?9.00 delivered.Gene Barry did not make many friends on this show judging from the Barry Morse & Catherine Schell interviews.Sadly due to the way the episodes were originally shot they don't look very good at all compared to the nice looking restored Persuader episodes.

vincenzo 17th July 2008 03:38 PM

I have an ITC video of Strange Report somewhere. Awesome Roger Webb theme tune (as usual) and fine performance by Anthony Quayle. The lovely former Dr Who girl (and one time Mrs Michael Gough) Anneke Wills is one of Quayle's assistants.

Other than the John Barry theme The Adventurer didn't do much for me. I preferred The Baron.

Angel 17th July 2008 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark meakin (Post 10072)
I liked Psycho 2 & 3 a great deal.

So did I. 2 especially was excellent. Wasn't keen on 3 when I first saw it but now I have taken to it. Love the theme tune that Perkins is also seen playing on the piano later in the film.