Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179627Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st July 2019, 12:18 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

suspiria-1977-blu-ray-dvd.jpg

Suzy is the newest student to be accepted in to a world famous ballet school in Germany . After a long flight from New York she lands in Germany in the middle of a crazy storm straight away she flags down a taxi and heads to her new home in the school but on arrival things go from bad to worse when she is greeted by a fleeing student who is obviously running from something or someone. When Suzy tries to gain access to school she is told they never heard of her and that she should leave. When she returns to next the to sort out the misunderstanding the cops are there investigating the murder of one of the girls from the school. Not the best welcome but it doesn't get any better from there each day the place gets stranger and stranger and the students are getting more afraid. What the hell is going on and can anyone find out before more people are murdered or go missing.

Suspiria and an audio and visual treat right from the start colour just jumps out and grabs you by the throat and doesn't stop punching you in the face until the end credits roll fantastic. As for the sound both the music and just the sound of the coven and even the footsteps moving around the school just ramps up the tension and atmosphere to 11.

Suspiria is a beautiful experience and in 4K holy shit the colours may blind you

8/10
Old 1st July 2019, 01:03 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The House That I Wish Jack Hadn’t Built (2018)

For weeks now, I’ve had the Blu Ray of this in my Amazon “save for later” waiting for a price drop because I didn’t want to spend £15 on a blind buy of a film I had a feeling I wouldn’t like. This morning, while browsing Amazon Prime Video for something to watch, I noticed it was listed, so I added it to my watchlist and have just finished watching it.
I’ve never seen any of Lars Von Tripe’s previous films, because frankly they didn’t and don’t interest me, but from reading about this online I’ve been wanting to watch it for ages to see what all the fuss was about.
2 things are gonna happen now: 1) I’ll never watch a single frame of any of his other films and 2) I’ll never get those 2 1/2 hours back!
Last time I’ve wanted a film to end out of sheer boredom was when I watched the heavily praised A Field In England!
Maybe I just don’t get it, but what a pile of shite that wasn’t even slightly shocking or gruesome, the only good thing I can say about it is the acting from Matt Dillon! This is why I don’t watch arty farty crap

**** all out of 5
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 1st July 2019, 04:35 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Rewatched 1974's The Longest Yard. Absolutely outstanding film imo. Anyone that knows me knows that I don't enjoy sports at all yet this film manages to make American football seem like one of the most engaging and enjoyable things in the world. Best ever use of splitscreen and the film is one of the greatest ever f*ck you to authority films ever made.
Old 1st July 2019, 07:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Like a lot of modern horrors it relies a little to much on jump scares, but it's still better than a lot of modern horrors and is quite creepy and is well acted and directed. A newly married couple move into a new home , on there first night there neighbours are brutally murdered by a demonic cult , and the newlyweds are also attacked, the assailants are killed , but that's just the start of the couples problems when a demonic force sets it's sites upon them . 7/10

Now watching the Nun.
Old 1st July 2019, 09:25 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Attachment 216470

Suzy is the newest student to be accepted in to a world famous ballet school in Germany . After a long flight from New York she lands in Germany in the middle of a crazy storm straight away she flags down a taxi and heads to her new home in the school but on arrival things go from bad to worse when she is greeted by a fleeing student who is obviously running from something or someone. When Suzy tries to gain access to school she is told they never heard of her and that she should leave. When she returns to next the to sort out the misunderstanding the cops are there investigating the murder of one of the girls from the school. Not the best welcome but it doesn't get any better from there each day the place gets stranger and stranger and the students are getting more afraid. What the hell is going on and can anyone find out before more people are murdered or go missing.

Suspiria and an audio and visual treat right from the start colour just jumps out and grabs you by the throat and doesn't stop punching you in the face until the end credits roll fantastic. As for the sound both the music and just the sound of the coven and even the footsteps moving around the school just ramps up the tension and atmosphere to 11.

Suspiria is a beautiful experience and in 4K holy shit the colours may blind you

8/10
Only 8 on this masterpiece? Where is the report button?

On topic

Creed II - or remake of Rocky IV with new characters - - I enjoyed - I have a soft spot for Rocky movies.
Old 1st July 2019, 09:44 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

House (1985)

Slickly made but juvenile horror comedy about an uninspired author who moves into his aunt's former house to get away from it all and write a new novel about his experiences in the Vietnam war until he starts getting tormented by a horde of evil spirits in the guise of rubbery monsters.

Not remotely scary nor is it funny barring the odd scene with George Wendt, this is an uncoordinated effort from director Steve Miner which often seems like a series of vignettes clumsily shaped into a film. One of those movies whose stills make it look a far superior affair to what we actually get on screen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg house-movie-poster-1986-1020194531.jpg (37.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 1st July 2019, 09:45 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
House (1985)
I'm not fond of this one either.
Old 1st July 2019, 09:52 PM
Cult Addict

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
A group of high school students get sucked into a video game and must complete it in order to escape.
Essentially a sequel/soft reboot of the original. I wwnt in rather weary of it as Jumanji was a childhood favourite of mine. But I enjoyed this a lot, fun little adventure flick. Timing was kinda decent seeing as the trailer for the next one has dropped.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 1st July 2019, 11:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
The House That I Wish Jack Hadn’t Built (2018)

For weeks now, I’ve had the Blu Ray of this in my Amazon “save for later” waiting for a price drop because I didn’t want to spend £15 on a blind buy of a film I had a feeling I wouldn’t like. This morning, while browsing Amazon Prime Video for something to watch, I noticed it was listed, so I added it to my watchlist and have just finished watching it.
I’ve never seen any of Lars Von Tripe’s previous films, because frankly they didn’t and don’t interest me, but from reading about this online I’ve been wanting to watch it for ages to see what all the fuss was about.
2 things are gonna happen now: 1) I’ll never watch a single frame of any of his other films and 2) I’ll never get those 2 1/2 hours back!
Last time I’ve wanted a film to end out of sheer boredom was when I watched the heavily praised A Field In England!
Maybe I just don’t get it, but what a pile of shite that wasn’t even slightly shocking or gruesome, the only good thing I can say about it is the acting from Matt Dillon! This is why I don’t watch arty farty crap

**** all out of 5
Me and Angie tried to watch the film earlier, her words were "if she was to slap the sh@te out of me, both of us would get more pleasure out of it than watching this" there was more choice of words said but better not rephrase them
Rik, keirarts and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 1st July 2019, 11:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Spookies 1986.

A group of people looking for a place to party come across a mansion unaware that a sorcerer plans to kill them and bring his bride back to life.

Not a horror to be taken seriously, but still find myself returning to watch it again, cheesy bad acting, weird farting zombies in the basement, mutant hobgoblins and a spider woman. Even the cast I don't recognise did their careers take a dive after this film? For laughs and giggles check it out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg imagemagic.jpg (31.8 KB, 5 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!