Like Tree179449Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd July 2019, 04:19 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
House III - The Horror Show (1989)

It's much better than the first two but is a blatant rip off of Wes Craven's Shocker and some of the dumber Elm Street movies with it's dream world of dark dripping factories.

Watchable when either Lance Henriksen or Brion James' Horace Pinker like killer are on screen which thankfully is most of the time, House III is the only one of the films i'd ever consider watching again, but when all's said and done it's not as good as the vastly underrated Shocker.
Nice one Dem might even watch it after work.
Old 3rd July 2019, 06:04 PM
Cult Addict

The Fifth Cord

download (10).jpeg

An interesting Giallo but one which did'nt grip me for most of the run time, it's still good and Franco Nero is always worth watching, but the thing that struck me the most was the cinematography which was very well designed and you could tell a great deal of thought had gone into each set up.

featured-fifthcord3.jpg

The kills are generally very subdued, most of the characters do not make much impact making the whodunnit aspect a bit blunted and the motivation is not as deliriously goofy as in a lot of Giallo films.

I did like the murder scene of the crippled woman and the stalking of a young child had me on the edge of my seat so it had it's moments, also Morricone's score is good although still not as impressive as some of his other work in the genre.

Giallo-1.jpg

So a good, solid Giallo, i'll probably enjoy it more on a rewatch, but for me at the moment it's a mid tier effort.

7/10

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 3rd July 2019, 08:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Well that's another enjoyable modern horror, when the body of a nun is found a priest and young nun whos about to take her vows are sent to Romania to investigate. Things soon take a chilling and dangerous turn when it's apparent there is some type of evil at work. chilling and if your like me and found nuns creepy this only makes matters worse. 7.2/10

A true classic . Nothing I can say about this that hasn't been said before apart from the picture quality is a improvement from the old blu ray but sadly the soundtrack which is still great but has not been upgraded to atmos. 9/10

Now watching another classic The Evil Dead.

Last edited by trebor8273; 4th July 2019 at 10:38 AM.
Old 3rd July 2019, 08:39 PM
Cult Addict

Hocus Pocus
A trio of kids awaken 3 witches and must stop them from using their book to bring them life from the essence of small kids (in a pg - what? ).
A bleak childhood staple, and also my first childhood crush in the form of Sarah Jessica Parker , a fun dark family movie, only complaint is some of the effects are slightly dated.
On an irrelevant note on the blu ray there was an advert for stopping smoking for some reason .

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 3rd July 2019, 09:35 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
House III - The Horror Show (1989)

It's much better than the first two but is a blatant rip off of Wes Craven's Shocker and some of the dumber Elm Street movies with it's dream world of dark dripping factories.

Watchable when either Lance Henriksen or Brion James' Horace Pinker like killer are on screen which thankfully is most of the time, House III is the only one of the films i'd ever consider watching again, but when all's said and done it's not as good as the vastly underrated Shocker.
I'm rather disappointed we're not gonna get to read your thoughts on the fourth one. Theres a mafia midget in it as I recall with some sort of mucus disorder.

Last edited by J Harker; 4th July 2019 at 06:34 AM.
Old 4th July 2019, 09:47 AM
Cult Acolyte

theatre-of-blood.jpg
THEATRE OF BLOOD (1973)

"Where are my doggy woggies, my doggie w-woggies"?

Old 4th July 2019, 01:07 PM
Active Cultist

What a trip! Since the beginning of the movie I was hooked - maybe the end of the movie could be a little better but doesn't spoil to much.
Old 4th July 2019, 03:34 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Torso (1973)

Sergio Martino's giallo is a heady delight of gory violence and sleazy sex. Set at a Perugia university where a slightly miscast 29 year old Suzy Kendall and a bevy of gorgeous students are in fear of a hooded murderer who strangles his near naked victims with a silk scarf before fondling their corpses with his blooded hands.

Torso is a decent mystery thriller with red herrings galore although these get narrowed down somewhat as various characters are offed throughout, culminating in a very graphic climax as the killer dismembers the bodies of Kendall's friends as she watches on, in their student house.

Martino teases us in his final scene as our hero (not saying who - spoilers) fights with the killer as we witness events from Kendall's viewpoint and don't actually see what happens - just the denouement. It's an interesting aspect from Martino but i don't think it's as successful nor as gripping as seeing the fight to the death in all it's glory.

Never the less, Torso is a cracking giallo.
Old 4th July 2019, 07:07 PM
Cult Addict

Hatchet for the honeymoon.

8-hatchet.jpg

Another new Giallo film to me and one i've been meaning to watch for longtimes baby.

Anyways. This one is by Mario Bava so you can be assured of some decent visual lighting and some lurid murder.

A weird Giallo in many ways, the killer is revealed throughout and it purports to be a psychological study of the killer, but it's all done in the typical hackneyed way for this genre.

Also this one seems a crossover film for Bava with a bit of his Gothic flavourings thrown in with the murdered wife tormenting the killer.

hatchethoney2big.jpg

I really enjoyed this one, a goofy 70's style suave killer( see milk tray stalker), some sexy birds, groovy club dancing and a cool soundtrack.

Liked the scene when the killer's confronted by the police and is trying to keep his cool while his dead wife's blood drips from above.
Also her ghostly taunts were pretty entertaining.

Also enjoyed the mannequin room which was a nicely macabre touch.
With the modelling aspect this would go well with "Blood and black lace" on a Bava double bill.

hatchet-for-the-honeymoon.jpg

Good stuff, not top range Giallo for me due to it's simplicity, but a nicely entertaining confection and more enjoyable than The Fifth Cord that i reviewed the other day.

7.5/10

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.

Last edited by nosferatu42; 4th July 2019 at 07:26 PM.
Old 4th July 2019, 07:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A true classic and one the first "video nasties" I remember watching, it's was a VHS that had been copied a number of times and made vipco look like 4k. But I loved it even though it scared the crap out of the 11 year old me, especially when they start there little singing contest. 9/10

Now watching The Lost Boys.

Last edited by trebor8273; 5th July 2019 at 09:25 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!