Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

SharonLynette 30th January 2013 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 316772)
I really like 'Aerobicide' - it's just sheer eighties awfulness incarnate (I must admit, I do have an irrational hatred / fear of aerobics and gyms so maybe I'm a bit biased). I seem to remember the copy I have has really bad audio.

I've only just got round to watching it, I seem to have been wearing sweatbands around my wrist so it appears like I'm joining in.

Pure cheese, slightly ridiculous a bit daft but fun and a fairly good soundtrack. The fight scenes are pretty amazing. The copy I've seen had poor audio too but at some points I think the actors are just quiet because, well, the acting is pretty poor.

SShaw 30th January 2013 07:53 PM

American Mary (blu-ray) - one of my favourite films of last year.

Rik 30th January 2013 07:53 PM

Couple of recent watches of films I haven't seen in years via Netflix. Both from the awesome imagination of Clive Barker, Candyman and Lord of Illusions and both bloody good films, I've no idea why I don't own either film :crazy:

Dave Boy 30th January 2013 08:38 PM

City Of The Dead (1960)
The Creeping Flesh (1973)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 30th January 2013 08:44 PM

Just started watching The French Connection – my fourth Best Picture Oscar winner of the day. Earlier on today I was able to cross A Man for All Seasons, How Green Was My Valley and Patton off my Oscar winners list.

sawyer6 30th January 2013 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 317834)
Just started watching The French Connection – my fourth Best Picture Oscar winner of the day. Earlier on today I was able to cross A Man for All Seasons, How Green Was My Valley and Patton off my Oscar winners list.

All four are great :nod:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 30th January 2013 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sawyer6 (Post 317838)
All four are great :nod:

It shows that the Academy sometimes gets things right!

trebor8273 30th January 2013 09:26 PM

just got back from django unchained and as good as everyone said it was, fantastic movie, everyone was good but found Christoph Waltz and Samuel L. Jackson where amazing, Quentin Tarantino best film in years.

Stephen@Cult Labs 30th January 2013 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 317850)
just got back from django unchained and as good as everyone said it was, fantastic movie, everyone was good but found Christoph Waltz and Samuel L. Jackson where amazing, Quentin Tarantino best film in years.

I thought it was a great film. Some might disagree, but It's also one of my favourite Tarantino soundtracks. The use of music from other westerns is inspired.

http://youtu.be/k4PYRdb71_w

http://youtu.be/zazSM-DjYNU

Another great song, not from a western, but The Last American Hero...

http://youtu.be/MXDQjgiTICk

Handyman Joe 30th January 2013 09:55 PM

Bigger Than Life - there's not many actors who've played slave abusing plantation owners, Nazi commanders, pedophiles and ruthless assassins yet still convey the image of a perfect English gent. Bravo James Mason, one of the greats - here he is as a drug addled all American father on the slippery road to hell, and yet again he pulls it off. This is an edgy, shadowy film from Nicholas Ray, it's like the flip side of Mad Men's chic retro 50s gloss - here's the real thing and its pretty excruciating. The climactic fight scene with Walter Matthau, accompanied by blaring carousel music is truly a classic. Check this one out folks.

Rik 30th January 2013 10:00 PM

Dredd-After the 4th attempt, I managed to make it to the end and although not completely blown away, I did enjoy it, at least I managed to stay awake, unlike when I saw Judge Dredd at the cinema back in the day.So, there you go Hawk, no reason to kill me anymore ;)
I'll probably add it to my collection if I find it cheap

keirarts 30th January 2013 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 317789)
You're right, it's anime talk, you call your friends -kun, your same age peers -chan and sempai is someone of authority such as a teacher or elder :D

I thought chan meant cute, little ect,

keirarts 30th January 2013 11:11 PM

The LAST STAND.

This got a critical drubbing so I went in with low expectations....

AND REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY enjoyed my self immensly.

Its daft, arnies acting is as ropey as ever but its a gunuinely fun film with plenty of chuckles, a fair bit of violence and daft stunts and its very well photographed and the action scenes and gunplay are well handled.

It actually kind of stinks that this didn't get a better reception.

fuzzymctiger 30th January 2013 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 317857)
I thought it was a great film. Some might disagree, but It's also one of my favourite Tarantino soundtracks. The use of music from other westerns is inspired.

Trinity (Titoli) (Annibale E I Cantori Moderni) - YouTube

05. "His Name Was King" - Luis Bacalov DJANGO UNCHAINED SOUNDTRACK [HD] - YouTube

Another great song, not from a western, but The Last American Hero...

10 I Got a Name 'Django Unchained' Soundtrack - YouTube

If I remember correctly, during the raid scene, as they're riding down the hill, the Battle Royale theme starts playing.

monkeyscreams 30th January 2013 11:46 PM

Berberian Sound Studio (2012) Peter Strickland
The second time I've watched this, and I will watch it again. It is a great film about the genre I love so much. The idea behind this film is very original, and that, and the way it is executed, makes it good film. Toby Jones plays an unforgettable character. He will stick with you for a long time.
Strickland mentions Herz's The Cremator as one of the main influences for this film. To be honest, I don't really see this influence in Berberian Sound Studio. The Cremator is a masterpiece still after 40 years or so. But Berberian is a great film nonetheless.

monkeyscreams 31st January 2013 12:00 AM

American Mary (2012) Soska Sisters
American Mary proves that (real) horror films aren't dead yet. Liked it very much. Shot in 15 days with a limited budget, but much better than the stuff that is oozing from your screen nowadays.

Ranarchy 31st January 2013 07:28 AM

Another weird day....a lotta films I have my best friend hasn't seen, so it's more for her to see

The Last Unicorn: Beautiful, I'm still such a sucker for animation. I love it.

Hostel 1 and 2: Had a huge discussion about how ungodly terrible the third movie was afterwards

Army of Darkness: BECAUSE!

Hawkmonger 31st January 2013 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 317864)
Dredd-After the 4th attempt, I managed to make it to the end and although not completely blown away, I did enjoy it, at least I managed to stay awake, unlike when I saw Judge Dredd at the cinema back in the day.So, there you go Hawk, no reason to kill me anymore ;)
I'll probably add it to my collection if I find it cheap

......'whisper'Sniper. Stand down.'whipser'

:laugh:

Femina Ridens (AKA The Frightened/ Laughing Woman-Piero Schivazappa-1969): this one should take no introduction. A deeply unnerving, strange film with an amazing atmosphere and amongst the best cinematography i've seen from a 60's soft core film (though it's a stretch to call it even that, it's a bit of a genre bender). A must for any self enfused art house chump.

trebor8273 31st January 2013 01:51 PM

not a film but been watching some mash, like how you have a audio track without the god awful laugh track which really doesn't suit mash.

Beyond72 31st January 2013 03:04 PM

The Fan
(The Robert De Niro & Wesley Snipes film.) Meh.

Blow

Jackie Brown

sawyer6 31st January 2013 04:21 PM

Recent viewings
1)2)3)Three films by Wim Wenders,Alice in the cities is his first Road Movie starring a journalist and an abandoned girl in search of the girl's Grandmother,next is about a film crew who halt filming ,until the mysterious producers return with the money,based on the director's personal experience and finally one of my all-time favorite movies with Bruno Ganz as an angel who tries to heal a depressed Berlin,4)great prison drama with two very good performances by Steve McQueen(probably his best) and Dustin Hoffman,5)Nightmare,a rare Greek horror movie from the 60's with a few Psycho elements,6)7)two famous Peter Weir films,8)Hungarian animated spoof of Snow White,which I found very funny,9)a Pedro Costa films about the slums of Portugal,not for everyone,I wasn't ready too! 10)Stephen Frears' Neo-noir,11) Vincent Gallo's personal film is an indie film about a sad man who tries to find love after his girlfriend's departure,the movie is vastly known for the real fellatio scene,12)they should have left the series,dead and buried!very inferior than the rest,the characters were laughable,the twist at the end was good but the climax scene was hilarious,13)the ten year hunt of Usama Bin Laden after 9\11 that caused a lot of controversy regarding torture,but I believe that it doesn't support torture as a mean of interrogation,not completely accurate but overall very good,the final scene is well orchestrated,14)I loved it, not as good as Inglourious Basterds,people find it long but I wanted it more! excellent performances especially Samuel L. jackson,15)A dramedy about mental disorder which I enjoyed a lot,16) I won't say the obvious about Daniel Day-Lewis' performance,overall I liked it but I must inform that politics is the main theme ,If you're bored with that don't watch it!

http://i50.tinypic.com/96lt85.jpg

trebor8273 31st January 2013 07:58 PM

Just finished phantom of death, might watch videodrome which have been keep putting of watching for a while

Hawkmonger 31st January 2013 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 318011)
Just finished phantom of death, might watch videodrome which have been keep putting of watching for a while

Long...live...the new...flesh...'BDAM!'

It's one of my favourate movie of all time, so I hope you enjoy it.:nod:

SShaw 31st January 2013 10:01 PM

A Force of One arrived this evening and with nothing else to occupy myself on this cold, wet and windy night I decided to watch it. With the exception of the Missing In Action franchise Chuck Norris films completely passed me by in the 80's - to be honest I was not a big fan of karate films as a kid. So this was the first time I had watched it. I was pleasantly surprised, its clearly a film of its time but its a quite competent "thriller"/karate film. Norris is a little wooden, but I guess he wasn't selected for his acting talents. I was also surprised by how sparingly the fight scenes were presented - I had expected long, elaborate sequences, but instead this aspect is presented in a more realistic manner with relatively short, but explosive fights. Well worth watching.

JoshuaKaitlyn 31st January 2013 11:48 PM

Feline Follies (1919)
The Cabinet of Doctor Caligari (1919)
Broken Blossoms (1919)

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/memb...tml#post318082

ThePopeofCOSDS 1st February 2013 04:18 AM

Django Unchained - What a piece of garbage. Church Review

sawyer6 1st February 2013 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePopeofCOSDS (Post 318094)

Ok.. Since you have a problem with the director,stealing ideas etc why did you watch it in the first place ?And what was that about reverse racism,most of white men were stupid at the time,they used black people as slaves!So you're angy with the depiction of white men but not with the mistreatment and torture of black people?
P.S. I don't want to start a debate

Hawkmonger 1st February 2013 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePopeofCOSDS (Post 318094)

Sure. What ever you like to think man. :loco:

keirarts 1st February 2013 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sawyer6 (Post 318110)
Ok..

Each to their own. I enjoyed Django but the jonah hill bit felt out of place. Tarantino is a very self indulgent director so he's not everyones cup of tea.
I find myself wincing when people slate him for plagerism though. He references pop culture more in the style of andy warhol imo cutting and pasting bits of exisiting iconography and mixing it with his own material to create something new, if he was a musician he'd be the equivalent of a DJ with a mixing deck. Also its funny how Martin scorsese never got the same flack for lifting stuff from films he loved. He borrowed from bava for films like cape fear and last temptation of christ just as one example.

Dave Boy 1st February 2013 11:20 AM

The Omen (1976)
Damien Omen II (1978)
Omen III The Final conflict (1981)

Hawkmonger 1st February 2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 318123)
The Omen (1976)
Damien Omen II (1978)
Omen III The Final conflict (1981)

The Omen is a classic for sure, I think Damien desserves better recognition, and...well...I at least enjoyed The Final Conflict.:loco:

fuzzymctiger 1st February 2013 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 318139)
The Omen is a classic for sure, I think Damien desserves better recognition, and...well...I at least enjoyed The Final Conflict.:loco:

Damien is my almost my favourite, and Final Conflict was terrible in my opinion.

But I actually didnt mind the 4th one :fear:

PaulD 1st February 2013 01:24 PM

Damien always felt like a poor retread of the original whereas The Final Conflict had something new to offer. Love the third one. The fourth one is really silly.

Baseball Fury 1st February 2013 01:55 PM

I shall review my recent watches with only five words.

Django Unchained - Pretty great. But the regulators?

The Last Stand - Good. Less Corvette, more Knoxville.

Rock of Ages - No Kiss or Crue? Average.

50/50 - Shaves head. Talks a bit.

One Night in Turin - Great drama with naff reconstructions.

Susan Foreman 1st February 2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sawyer6 (Post 318110)
most of white men were stupid and the time,they used black people as slaves! So you're angy with the depiction of white men but not with the mistreatment and torture of black people?

Isn't that the concept behind the television show 'Love Thy Neighbour'?

The 'honky', who thought he was supreme, was actually the joke foil for the 'nig-nog', who ended up on top of the situation in all the shows!

White man = stupid, black man = superior!

Justin101 1st February 2013 02:37 PM

I watched Looper last night, it was disappointingly average - i'm glad I never forked out the extra cash for the steelbook. I don't understand how people are saying it's the greatest thing to happen in movies for ages...

I watched Michael Cera in Youth In Revolt the evening before and found it to be a much more entertaining way to spend 2hrs :lol:

Invid Ninja 1st February 2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 318173)
I watched Looper last night, it was disappointingly average - i'm glad I never forked out the extra cash for the steelbook. I don't understand how people are saying it's the greatest thing to happen in movies for ages...

I watched Michael Cera in Youth In Revolt the evening before and found it to be a much more entertaining way to spend 2hrs :lol:

Will definetly agree with you in part on Looper, I thought it was an entertaining enough sci-fi thriller but I'm always confused over people saying it's 'game changing'. Clearly these people have forgotten The Terminator, Logan's Run and Akira still very much exist. :crazy: I thought it was solid fare, but nowhere near groundbreaking or my favourite of last year.

Dave Boy 1st February 2013 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 318139)

With the first two films, there was a real sense of dread. People who knew or had suspicions about Damien being the Anti Christ were terrified. That seemed to be missing from The Final Conflict. It all starts off well enough, with the death of the Ambassador but then it just can't keep up the uneasiness that the previous films had. The monks that were sent to kill Damien, knowing full well just who and what they were dealing with, decide then to confront him on a one to one basis ! Damien is killed with just one dagger.It was explained in the first film that it needed to be the full set, in the shape of a cross to kill him.
A disappointing end to the films, but it does have it's moments, and Jerry Goldsmith's score is once again a joy to listen to.

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st February 2013 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 318173)

Don't dislike Cera. Probably my favourite of the comedy stars to break out in recent years.

Invid Ninja 1st February 2013 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 318201)
Don't dislike Cera. Probably my favourite of the comedy stars to break out in recent years.

I know it's unpopular to say now speaking of Cera, but I enjoyed Scott Pilgrim Vs The World. :fear: