Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179616Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th July 2019, 10:03 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Produced by the bloke who brought us The Visitor
Amazingly it's a lot saner than that classic (sorry D, I cry with laughter all the way through it), but that's not much help.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 10th July 2019, 10:38 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
I quite enjoyed "Madhouse" a few weeks ago so i guess it's just down to personal taste.
It was your review that helped me out buying it I was in two minds to buy it or not, maybe a second viewing may help
Old 10th July 2019, 10:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Edna, The Inebriate Woman. 1971

Edna is a drunk and homeless woman going from police stations and a psychiatric hospital for just to have a roof over her head. When she finds a hostel she seems more happy till the government announces they are not going to fund hostels for homeless.

This was a TV movie that aired on the BBC in the 70s and repeated them in the 90s called Play For Today, Patricia Hayes plays down on her luck Edna, full of joys and cheekiness with very bad hardships. It can be seen a very realistic even in today's society with homelessness. As well as having some comedy in it the drama makes it more enjoyable and make you teary eyed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15157384139.jpg (92.5 KB, 5 views)
Old 10th July 2019, 10:59 PM
Cult Addict

Sorry about that Mr B...still, either way it's another Video Nasty off the list.

I guess i didn't expect much and was pleasantly surprised, whereas you may have expected more and been underwhelmed.
keirarts and MrBarlow like this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 10th July 2019, 11:44 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
Sorry about that Mr B...still, either way it's another Video Nasty off the list.

I guess i didn't expect much and was pleasantly surprised, whereas you may have expected more and been underwhelmed.
No need to apologise I have bought worse and expected them to be better
keirarts and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 11th July 2019, 01:41 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Walter 1982.

Walter is a young man with learning disabilities, cared for by his parents, when his parents die nobody has any idea what to do with him and place him in a institution.

Sir Ian McKellen portrayal as Walter is brilliantly done, but can be tough to watch at times with the bullying that is seen and how people torment a disabled person. Keith Allen stars along as a factory worker and main antagonist. Jim Broadbent is the orderly who seems to care for his charges and has a heart. Worth a watch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hqdefault.jpg (16.4 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by MrBarlow; 11th July 2019 at 05:56 PM.
Old 11th July 2019, 03:26 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Hellraiser III Hell on Earth (1992)

Inspired by Demoncrat saying (in a roundabout way) that Deep Space 9's Terry Farrell took the lead in this film, and seeing as i'd just seen her character Dax, killed off after six seasons in the show, i decided to go with another slice of the gorgeous Ms. Farrell.

And she's pretty decent in it too. Incidentally, that's two of my favourite Star Trek characters (Both from DS9) that have starred in Hellraiser films.

Whilst not as good as the first two films in the series, Hell on Earth is still an enjoyable watch. The ante has been upped when it comes to action sequences with a couple of terrific set pieces in a night club and on the streets of New York. It takes a while to see Pinhead but there's gore galore throughout including a young woman losing all her skin to the devilish chains that haunt this inspired series of films.

Despite Pinhead taking a while to show up in the flesh so to speak, this film gives Doug Bradley more screen time than any of the first two films and he makes the most of it with a fine performance that is both arch villain and blackly comedic too.
Old 11th July 2019, 03:42 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Walter 1982.

Walter is a young man with learning disabilities, cared for by his parents, when his parents die nobody has any idea what to do with him and place him in a institution.

Sir Ian McKellen portrayal as Walter is brilliantly done, but can be tough to watch at times with the bullying that is seen and how people torment a disabled person. Keith Allen stars along as a factory worker and main antagonist. Jim Broadband is the orderly who seems to care for his charges and has a heart. Worth a watch.
keirarts and MrBarlow like this.
Old 11th July 2019, 05:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Fooking auto correct
Old 11th July 2019, 05:59 PM
Seasoned Cultist

out of The Past(1947)

Robert Mitchum plays an ex private eye with a dodgy past trying to build a new life running a petrol station with his sweet girlfriend .but his past comes back to haunt him leading him into trouble with gangster Kirk douglas who he double crossed after carrying on with his girlfriend.

Another classic film noir starring the ever reliable Robert Mitchum. and complexly plotted and stylishly directed by cat people director Jacques Tourneur.
and co starring Jane Greer as the ruthless and manipulative bad girl, who has great on screen chemistry with Mitchum's character, Jeff bailey.

Well worth a watch, and with great one liners. another well made film before the days when hollywood became obsessed with CGI and superhero nonsense. 80 out of 100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg out-of-the-past.jpg (95.8 KB, 3 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!