Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179037Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th July 2019, 02:03 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

The-Bloody-Judge-1970.jpg A.K.A The Bloody Judge

Lord George Jeffreys judge and Lord Chancellor hands down tough justice upon the rebels against the King of England but he mainly focuses his vengeance upon the beautiful woman across the lands accusing them of witchcraft and being in league with the SAAAAAATAN of course the devil will only allow the most beautiful wenches in his flock .

Christopher Lee is in top form in this role he looks like it is in his element enjoying every second he is on screen smugly ordering the torture and death of everyone who is brought in front of him. One problem for me was that he seemed to get off on the torture of the women but he never gets involved or even witnesses any of it maybe its just the idea and power of it that gives him the thrill or maybe i'm reading too much into it

The Bloody Judge moves along at a steady pace with many scenes of half naked woman put through varying different forms of brutal torture in between battle scenes and courtroom drama well i say drama but everyone who enters court is only going to leave guilty no matter the circumstances.

There is a sex scene with Christopher Lee and thankfully all we see is a hand and it was definitely not his hand there are just some actors you never want to see in any sort of sex scene and that includes even kissing a woman

If this film tells us anything its to not push woman too far cause when they get the upper hand your F###ed son

7/10
Old 14th July 2019, 03:09 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Horde (2016)

A teacher and her students are captured in the back woods by a group of inbred mutants. Luckily a former Navy SEAL is along for the ride.

It's a while since i've bought a gruesome gore fest and a very long time since i bought one that was an action film as well. The Horde is certainly brutal and would have come a cropper with the BBFC back in the day - Tongues are cut out, legs sliced off by band saws and a girl is nailed to a table before being raped...and then along comes John Logan. An actor with presence, so much so that i thought i'd actually seen him in a lot of things prior, but looking at his CV only Mega Piranha springs to mind.

Inbred mutants are no match for an action star in the making and Logan makes swift work of the cannibals but has more problems with the likes of Bill Moseley, Vernon Wells and Costas Mandylor, who are using the mutants for their own nefarious ends, hell even Don 'The Dragon' Wilson pops up a couple of times to help.

So if you fancy an ass kicking gore fest mash up of Wrong Turn meets Commando then The Horde might be something you'll enjoy.

Definitely a pound well spent in the Screenbound sale.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MV5BMjI4MjI4NTQyMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjE5ODAyNTE@._V1_.jpg (105.5 KB, 6 views)
Old 14th July 2019, 04:29 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Sounds right up my street, as the other Dem would say...sold!
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 14th July 2019, 04:32 PM
Cult Master

s-l640.jpg

Paul Bonnard arrives in Timbuktu seeking a guid into the Sahara Desert in search of a lost city filled with riches. He recruits Joe January a no nonsense American who is never far from trouble fighting drinking and smashing up the local watering hole. Joe spends most of his nights sleeping in a cell and forever trying to pay off his deaths the to chief of police who is as corrupt as they come. Paul has taken a shine to Dita a local thief who Joe is more than aware of how manipulative she is and he is determined to keep her away from their expedition so his pay is not compromised and he can finally get out of Timbuktu. On an expedition like this its not only the unforgiving harshness of the desert you need to worry about but where there are wealth and riches there is also the greed of men and women.

John Wayne is his usually hard nosed hard fighting hard drinking hard living man but under his hard exterior he is a loveable character who only has the best interests of the people around him at heart. Sophia Loren is a woman battling many demons but she is well able to stand up for herself she is tough as old boot she may be fragile emotionally but physically she can stand up with the best of them and on more than one occasion she socks Joe with a few haymakers worthy of winning any boxing title and its fantastic to see both the hard and the soft vulnerability of both Joe and Dita it makes them more relatable and human. I have to mention that there are some beautiful shots of the desert especially where the sun id setting over the horizon as they ride past on their donkeys really stunning with the blood red sun just peaking over the dunes. Fun and entertaining little adventure with Wayne and Loren playing off each other perfectly and you can really feel the tension between them and the emotions they have for each other no matter how hard they try to hide it. Romance betrayal action and a look at how wealth can make a person forget all their values and forget the person they really are.

7/10
Old 14th July 2019, 04:49 PM
Cult Acolyte

daredevils-of-the-red-circle-movie-poster-1938-1020200664.jpg
DAREDEVILS OF THE RED CIRCLE (1939)
12 CHAPTER REPUBLIC SERIAL

When their kid brother is killed in an arson fire at an amusement pier, the three remaining Daredevils help track down who is responsible.
The villain is escaped prisoner 39013 who is trying to destroy all the business interests of millionaire Horace Granville who put him in prison.
39013 has a perfect disguise of Granville and takes his place while the real Granville is held in a basement prison..
Exciting and action packed serial. All the stops are pulled out for the opening pier fire and a cliffhanger which sees water flooding a tunnel is very well done and looks superb even today.
Excellent.
Old 14th July 2019, 06:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Alien Nation 1988.

When a alien species arrives in Los Angeles, they are called "newcomers"", after three years quarantine, they are released to live along the human population. Detective Matt Sykes and his partner are involved in a gun fight with a couple of newcomers. Sykes is teamed up with a newcomer Sam Francisco and believe there is something going on with a new breed of underworld crime and a drug.

Decent 80s Sci-Fi movie that doesn't rely on special effects but more on special make-up, and really good acting, from Jame Caan as Matt Sykes a racist discriminating officer of the newcomers until he is teamed with Sam Francisco which he calls his partner "George". Terence Stamp stars as William Harcourt, newcomer interested in politics and introducing his new wonder drug. As much as this can be a buddy cop film it also shows how people would react if aliens like these were to arrive and how different species would get on. 8 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg alien nation.jpg (92.0 KB, 4 views)
Old 14th July 2019, 07:18 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Drunk Parents

Alec Baldwin and Salma Hayek star as desperate suburbanites who are faced with some tough decisions after their only child leaves for college. Hilarious. Hayek swearing is really fonny . Quite cruel in places. A good thing.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 14th July 2019, 07:18 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Bubba Ho-Tep (2002)

bubba-ho-tep-5024679b42ebf.jpg

I have to say that I have always felt that Bruce Campbell was a one-trick pony, most of his appearances all seemed to be variations of his more famous alter ego Ash, I may be wrong buts that's how I saw it...But I have to admit when Bubba Ho Tep came out, initially, I was very dubious that he could pull off whole Elvis impersonation, apart from the fact he looks vaguely like him in some instances, and could probably say "Thank you Very Much", the way people do when someone impersonates The KIng...But I am happy to say I was wrong, not only does he pull it off with great aplomb,but he kinds went up in my estimations as an actor, although he did revert to type when went back and did Ash Vs, but you can't have it all I guess...(although to make a living out of saying groovy every so often is not much an acting stretch is it)...Also having Ossie Davis as Jack Kennedy meant that Bruce really had to bring his up his game if he wanted to keep up with Davis, but no matter as the both of them really revel in their parts...Joe R. Lansdale story is so crazy, yet at the same time so believable because the whole story is set in a retirement home, and it's this that makes the mad story very real, even an aged Elvis has to go through the rigours of growing old and getting ill,( if he had lived that is)...Also kudos to Don Coscarelli it was so good to have him direct something without silver balls in it...(and Bruce does look pretty cool in that white jumpsuit)

Old 14th July 2019, 10:14 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Gunpowder (1986)

Norman J Warren directs this wonderfully loopy spy thriller / Bond knock off that's obsessed with gold and dairy products.

Remember that cool scene in The Living Daylights as the rogue milkman enters that high security mansion and kidnaps the KGB defector? Well said scene is recreated in it's entirety here, only this film came first.

The whole thing is really clunky with Martin Potter and David Gilliam as the ridiculously named Powder and Gunn - special agents and Cheshire, especially Macclesfield, standing in for the South of France. It's an action film done on the cheap but it's all terrifically entertaining and races at such a pace that you just move on from the sublime to the ridiculous, or is that the ridiculous to the ridiculous without batting an eyelid.

I got this from the Classic Films Direct sale and urge all Warren fans to do the same because this is highlyy recommended.

https://www.classicfilmsdirect.com/p...ilm-collection
Old 14th July 2019, 10:23 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Four people (That's me and three others) have seen Gunpowder on the film logging site Letterboxd.

Talk about a 'lost' film.

Like this? Share it using the links below!