Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179037Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th July 2019, 08:50 AM
Cult Acolyte

Annabelle Comes Home. Judy Warren's babysitter's best friend foolishly breaks into her parents' locked room of supernatural objects, and even more stupidly takes the notorious Annabelle out of her protected case. Well, that wasn't very bright now was it? The latest in the Conjuring movieverse has nice performances from the young actresses, and of course a nice period vibe, but basically no plot and a tone more reminiscent of the Goosebumps movie than the original films. This isn't terrible or anything, but this stuff is not even remotely close to being scary anymore. 
Old 15th July 2019, 10:20 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Prom Night (1980)

Whilst out playing and causing general mayhem, four kids cause the death of a friend through bullying. Years later an axe wielding, black masked killer turns up on high school prom night to wreak revenge.

For the first hour of this 90 minute film the only notable thing is starring roles for up and coming actress Jamie Lee Curtis and character actor and soon to be comedy superstar Leslie Nielsen. The film is lifeless, very talky and in all honesty rather boring. Nothing memorable happens after the early window smashing death and the film seemingly just peters out in a tacky melee of horrible disco music.

Then come the last thirty minutes, the killer turns up at the school prom and the film cranks up a couple of gears and we finally have a movie worthy of it's slasher tag. There are two very memorable set pieces. The first, a harrowing stalk and chase through the campus which really gives the film an air of tension that had been sadly lacking before hand. The second, a gory finale that is brilliantly summed up by the phrase 'Heads will roll'. This final third just about gives the film credibility as a slasher film, but it's one that is way down the list when it comes to the best of the genre.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 220px-Prom_night_film_poster.jpg (17.6 KB, 6 views)
Old 15th July 2019, 01:17 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
A group of college friends reunite for a trip to the forest, but encounter a menacing presence in the woods that's stalking them.
Since this movie came out I want to watched - but complete forgot that was available on netflix, yesterday finally manage to watched - it's OK, but nothing special. An idea that have been done before in some many different ways. still worth a watch, but probably only once.
Old 15th July 2019, 03:05 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Laura(1944)

Laura(Gene tierney) is found dead, or is she? in her apartment after taking a shotgun blast to the face. And a police lieutenent( Dana Andrews, that chap out of Night of the Demons) is assigned to the case. and investigates the two prime suspects a rude and snobbish chap called Waldo and a playboy(vincent price, playing a rather out of character part)
but the policeman finds himself strangely falling for the murdered girl after getting obsessed with her portrait.

been watching a few noirs lately, and this is another classic from Otto preminger, with great camera work and music, although this one is more of a romantic type drama.
It is a good mystery and has a lot of great characters that play their parts well. and Gene tierney is as beautiful as ever, and hardly surprising that everyone in the film is in love with her.

Only one criticism is that it maybe just a little too talky compared to other noirs. but this is only a minor quibble. still deserving of a solid 79 out of 100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg static.politico.com.jpg (35.7 KB, 4 views)
Old 15th July 2019, 06:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Killer's Moon 1978.

A group of school girls on a trip become stranded in the country take shelter in a hotel, meanwhile four men escape from a psychiatric hospital after being exposed to LSD experiment. What should be a holiday becomes a night of survival.

This was a hit or miss movie, it seemed to have potential but is brought down by a snail pace and long unnecessary dull moments, the director Alan Birkinshaw did try to make it decent but his hands must've been tied, the violence wasn't as bad as it's made out to be and animal torture wasn't shown properly (thank god) the thing that was decent is the acting by the girls and the two happy campers. 5 out of 10.
Old 15th July 2019, 07:56 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Taking place not long after house of a thousand corpses , after a shootout with the police the firefly family and captain Spaulding are on the run from the police , but that doesn't stop them murdering and torturing. Very different style of film to be 1000, it's more of a revenge western type film than a horror, with a sheriff out for revenge on the family. 9/10

8.5/10

9/10

Now watching Human Lanterns.

Sent from my KFSUWI using Tapatalk
Old 15th July 2019, 09:20 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

Taking place not long after house of a thousand corpses , after a shootout with the police the firefly family and captain Spaulding are on the run from the police , but that doesn't stop them murdering and torturing. Very different style of film to be 1000, it's more of a revenge western type film than a horror, with a sheriff out for revenge on the family. 9/10

Really looking forward to 3 From Hell. Really hope it's not a disappointment.
Old 15th July 2019, 09:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I've posted trailer for it in up and coming films.
Old 15th July 2019, 09:44 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
I've posted trailer for it in up and coming films.
I know. I watched it and 'liked' it.
Old 15th July 2019, 10:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post

I think it looks ****ing awesome, can’t wait to watch it!
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!

Like this? Share it using the links below!