Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

MrBarlow 18th July 2019 05:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Raven 1963.

A sorcerer who has been turned into a raven by another magician, turns to someone for help, they go to the man who done it and end up in a wizard's duel to the death.

Roger Corman film based on Poe's story, Vincent Price stars along with Peter Lorre in this cheerful not to be taken seriously film, it has the hallmarks of their other films camp comedy style with a dash of horror. Boris Karloff stars as Dr Scarabus, who thinks he is the better magician than anyone. Hazel Court and Olive Sturgess star with a young Jack Nicholson in this classic film even though its 60s, the stunning colors and visual effects make it worth watching.

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th July 2019 06:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Laurel Canyon (2002)

A film inspired by the LA music scene in the late sixties / early seventies where everyone who was anyone in music Stateside hung out, got drunk, smoked pot, had sex and made great music. From Joni Mitchell to Jim Morrison, Alice Cooper to the Mamas and the Papas, Zappa to Zeppelin, and many more all sampled the life around Laurel Canyon.

However this film is set in the here and now as newly engaged couple Christian Bale and Kate Beckinsale move to the Canyon to further their careers. What they don't know is that Bale's record producer mother (Frances McDormand) is still at the house making a new disc for her boyfriend's (Alessandro Nivola) band.

What follows is a clash of cultures, attitudes, sex and lifestyles as the naive and insecure Bale and Beckinsale fall headlong into an illicit affair (Bale) and the rock n' roll lifestyle (Beckinsale). The film is a beautifully written, beautifully filmed character study, especially the relationship between a never better Beckinsale and McDormand whose steamy sexuality really comes to the fore.

I love this film. I love LA, i love the music played, and i love the hedonism on screen. It pulls me in, completely immerses me, makes me want to drink bourbon and beer and become part of events. Easy Rider, American Graffiti and Dazed and Confused are the same, films i adore that i can get lost in each and every time i watch them.

MrBarlow 18th July 2019 08:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Remo: Unarmed and Dangerous 1985.

A New York police officer is killed in the line of duty, his death is faked and he has been recruited by an office of the president called CURE and trained to be their top assassin.

Fred Ward takes the lead role of Remo, trained by Korean Chiun played by Joel Grey (Cabaret) who makes it a bit more comical in his style of training and quick comebacks. Wilfrod Brimley (The Thing) plays the bank manager and main organiser of Cure. Major Rayner Fleming played by Kate Mulgrew (Star Trek:Voyager) believes there is corruption with the ranks as politician George Groves who CURE are interested in may be creating weapons for other countries. This film was giving really bad reviews at being a bit too far fetched, story being thin or action sequences being daft but its the 80s, it certainly still enjoyable for a night time or Sunday afternoon flick.

Demoncrat 18th July 2019 09:17 PM

Love Remo. Remowatch :lol:

Beyond The Darkness

My kinda romcom :lol:
Unable to be parted from his betrothed, Mark finds a new and exciting alternative to grief :laugh:.
Still really horrible btw.
Just had to check etc. Infamous because of all sorts of reasons. A joy to behold.
Quick before they remake it with Scarlet and Shannon :laugh::laugh:

MrBarlow 18th July 2019 11:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Exterminator 1980.

When his friend get's attacked and left paralysed, ex Vietnam Vet John Eastland wages a one man war on the gang then goes after a mobster, detective James Dalton is in close pursuit to stop the vigilante know only as The Exterminator.

Christopher George plays the detective in this pursuing the vigilante and also trying to pursuit the nurse Samantha Egggar that's treating the victim at the hospital. Robert Ginty plays John, who seems to think that New York has turned into a battlefield for crime and corruption. James Glickenhaus does do a good job as writer and director, there is some nasty moments in this that i forgot about with the "chicken place" and how Eastland gets revenge on the guys in there and how to get money from a mobster who didn't tell him about a dog. Still a good movie that's enjoyable to rewatch again.

Nostalgic 19th July 2019 06:44 PM

Skeleton Key....

Not as gripping as the first time i watched it, but still fun!

Watched the first half sobre, second half druuuuunk now........

:whip:

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th July 2019 08:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Banger Sisters (2002)

Don't let the cutesy poster fool you, The Banger Sisters is not your typical sweetly amusing Goldie Hawn film.

From the opening crawl down a sweaty, neon lit Sunset Strip, to entering the famous rock hangout The Whisky A Go-Go where sleaze rockers Buckcherry are ripping it up, to Hawn's ageing rock chick / groupie Suzette offering blow jobs to all and sundry, The Banger Sisters is the kind of movie some people will just 'get' and for others it will pretty much pass them by.

It's a film that captures a time and place and i see parts of my youth in this film (Not giving Jimmy Page a blow job though) discovering music, seeing bands, hanging out in rock dives and just generally having a great time without any hang ups or inhibitions.

This isn't a typical comedy it's more poignant than that and almost falls into the last day of term greatness of Dazed and Confused (almost). Both Goldie Hawn and Susan Sarandon are both excellent as is Geoffrey Rush in his support role as the loner who sets out to kill himself.

And why are Hawn and Sarandon known as the Banger Sisters? You'd better ask Frank Zappa, but it's not hard to figure out for yourself.

MrBarlow 19th July 2019 08:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Exterminator 2 1984.

John Eastland has kept the streets of New York safe, when his dancer girlfriend is attacked by a gang he goes after them the only way he knows.

Welcome to a Cannon production sequel, Robert Ginty returns as John the flamethrower welder mask vigilante, this time teamed up with old army friend Be Gee played by Frankie Faison. Mario Van Peebles plays gang leader X, who tries to over act but doesn't do him much help. Mark Buntzman who produced the first film returns as writer/director. His vision of this film was to be different but producers wanted it changed as well as deleting some scenes which messes up parts of the film and somethings don't make sense, however some scenes are extended which makes up for the mess. 6-7out of 10.

Demoncrat 19th July 2019 10:06 PM

Hustler Squad (1976, Cesaro Gallardo)
Cirio H Santiago production ;)
I presume this was WWII set, as the enemy are in period costume even though the remaining cast are dressed contemporarily ???. Regardless, some sleaze and a muddy print and I'm happy :lol: See also training montage set to jaunty big band music.

The Cassandra Crossing (1978, George Pan Cosmatos)

It's still my favourite disaster movie. Harris and Lancaster compete to see whom can be the most earnest etc.
When a diseased terrorist evades capture by boarding a trans European train, it's down to decent doc Dickie and Sophia bleedin' Loren cough. Plus it's horribly paranoid like all the best 70s films :nod:

Demoncrat 19th July 2019 10:25 PM

In The Woods (2006, Lynn Drzick)

"Creepier than TBWP" is the quote on the sleeve. How I am unsure :laugh:
Is it that the dialogue is spoken in such a stilted manner ... by the entire cast! It seems deliberate. Hmm. Two massively repressed firefighters wander ... go on have a guess? Where due to their basic lack of civic duty are fooked

Ahem. Featuring some hilariously gory moments, this is a laugh riot. The awful rawk ST just jars. Must see what else she has done :nod:
:laugh: