All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179604Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st July 2019, 05:19 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Hybrid (2010)

Imagine Carpenter's Christine, but set in the largest car workshop ever seen (think multi storey car park large), add some sort of Lovecraftian creature under the hood and The Mummy's Oded Fehr as a heroic mechanic and you've got one hell of a dull film.

I've gone with the Japanese dvd cover because it's about as representative of the film as a picture of the star ship Enterprise would be.

Ocean's 8 (2018)

Sandra Bullock (Who now looks more like Michael Jackson than she does Sandra Bullock), Cate Blanchett, Anne Hathaway etal, lead an all female cast in this fun and often amusing heist movie that sticks to the same formula as the Clooney films in the series.

It's all very slick and the all female ensemble freshen things up. The Ghostbusters reimagining this is not!
Old 21st July 2019, 07:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Asphyx 1972.

Victorian England, a scientist becomes obsessed by capturing everyone's "death spirit or Asphyx" when someone is about to die, when his obsession takes over him so does his madness for eternal living.

Filmed on what seems to be a low budget turned out to be a great horror/sci-fi movie from Britain. Robert Powell and Robert Stephenson play the two scientists out to make a discovery of a lifetime. There is very little jump scenes but does play on suspense and supernatural. Peter Newbrook done a decent job as director with good cinematography by Freddie Young and music background score by Bill McGuffie. One worth the watch. 8 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg asphyx_title.jpg (74.3 KB, 4 views)
Old 21st July 2019, 07:20 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Hybrid (2010)

Imagine Carpenter's Christine, but set in the largest car workshop ever seen (think multi storey car park large), add some sort of Lovecraftian creature under the hood and The Mummy's Oded Fehr as a heroic mechanic and you've got one hell of a dull film.

I've gone with the Japanese dvd cover because it's about as representative of the film as a picture of the star ship Enterprise would be.

Ocean's 8 (2018)

Sandra Bullock (Who now looks more like Michael Jackson than she does Sandra Bullock), Cate Blanchett, Anne Hathaway etal, lead an all female cast in this fun and often amusing heist movie that sticks to the same formula as the Clooney films in the series.

It's all very slick and the all female ensemble freshen things up. The Ghostbusters reimagining this is not!

Oceans 8 I haven't seen the other 7 yet
keirarts likes this.
Old 21st July 2019, 07:43 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
Attachment 216886

I have to say that I have always felt that Bruce Campbell was a one-trick pony, most of his appearances all seemed to be variations of his more famous alter ego Ash, I may be wrong buts that's how I saw it...But I have to admit when Bubba Ho Tep came out, initially, I was very dubious that he could pull off whole Elvis impersonation, apart from the fact he looks vaguely like him in some instances, and could probably say "Thank you Very Much", the way people do when someone impersonates The KIng...But I am happy to say I was wrong, not only does he pull it off with great aplomb,but he kinds went up in my estimations as an actor, although he did revert to type when went back and did Ash Vs, but you can't have it all I guess...(although to make a living out of saying groovy every so often is not much an acting stretch is it)...Also having Ossie Davis as Jack Kennedy meant that Bruce really had to bring his up his game if he wanted to keep up with Davis, but no matter as the both of them really revel in their parts...Joe R. Lansdale story is so crazy, yet at the same time so believable because the whole story is set in a retirement home, and it's this that makes the mad story very real, even an aged Elvis has to go through the rigours of growing old and getting ill,( if he had lived that is)...Also kudos to Don Coscarelli it was so good to have him direct something without silver balls in it...(and Bruce does look pretty cool in that white jumpsuit)
Such a great movie and with a bit of social commentary as well!
Old 21st July 2019, 08:12 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Mulholland Dr.

A hayseed's dreams of stardom are tarnished somewhat when she helps a stranger retrace her steps after a chance encounter. Disgusting and perverse, well tis set in Hollywood after all
The Everly Brothers were right

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 21st July 2019, 08:36 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Watching the blue underground release of zombie, and remembering why I love this movie so much. Probably the most accessable of Fulci's zombie quartet, it packs more excitement, gore, goofieness & just sheer entertainment into 90 mins than walking dead has managed in 100 plus hours of whining & relationship drama.

Amazing stuff!

Film 10/10
Extras 10/10
Old 21st July 2019, 11:07 PM
Cult Acolyte

s-l1.jpg
JUDGE DREDD (1995)

Apart from a few bad choices such as Dredd removing his helmet and the flying Lawmaster bikes this is a good movie.
There are lots to enjoy here. The opening views of Mega City One look great and the Block War fight and crossfire are straight out of the comics.
The Grand Hall of Justice Building also looks pretty awesome.
The look of the walls of Mega City One are right and the Angel Family that Dredd meets in The Cursed Earth are well done. Mean Machine Angel looking the best. The ABC Warrior that Rico finds is also very good.
Stallone, was he the best choice at the time? He fills Dredd's boots okay and Diane Lane as Judge Hershey I have no problem with.
Well worth another view if you have not seen it in a while.
While eclipsed by the new DREDD movie in 1999, the original movie is still very entertaining.
Old 21st July 2019, 11:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
Attachment 217093
JUDGE DREDD (1995)

Apart from a few bad choices such as Dredd removing his helmet and the flying Lawmaster bikes this is a good movie.
There are lots to enjoy here. The opening views of Mega City One look great and the Block War fight and crossfire are straight out of the comics.
The Grand Hall of Justice Building also looks pretty awesome.
The look of the walls of Mega City One are right and the Angel Family that Dredd meets in The Cursed Earth are well done. Mean Machine Angel looking the best. The ABC Warrior that Rico finds is also very good.
Stallone, was he the best choice at the time? He fills Dredd's boots okay and Diane Lane as Judge Hershey I have no problem with.
Well worth another view if you have not seen it in a while.
While eclipsed by the new DREDD movie in 1999, the original movie is still very entertaining.
Surprising how many people don't like original Judge Dredd and the slagging it gets, I'm with you on this it isn't a bad film.
keirarts and Dave Boy like this.
Old 22nd July 2019, 12:16 AM
Cult Addict

I'm with you on most of the points you mention but Stallone over acts and shows his face too much and his sidekick guy is an annoying twat, these points maim the film making it half the film it could have been.
keirarts likes this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 22nd July 2019, 08:43 AM
Cult Acolyte

Crawl. When a devastating hurricane hits their Florida neighbourhood, a young woman and her father find themselves trapped in their home by rising floodwaters - and some very angry and very hungry alligators that have come with them! Kaya Scoladerio (Or Effy from Skins, if you prefer) stars in this fairly mediocre monster movie that I ultimately found very underwhelming and uninvolving, despite a promising premise. Oh well, ho hum.

Like this? Share it using the links below!