Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179450Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th July 2019, 06:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Return Of Bulldog Drummond (1934, Walter Summers)

The indomitable Ralph Richardson (and his boyfriend Algy ) fight off beastly rotters a gogo in this rather bonkers film. For a start I've never seen a more obvious beard than this "wife" of his , and his overreaction at her plight is a absolute scream (rewound it thrice )
The sixth in a series, I can only imagine what the rest are like.
Algy. A human ventriloquist's doll cough. His joie de vivre throughout is quite infectious. Decent PQ at least on this bare bones release

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 27th July 2019, 07:42 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Dracula the 1958 Hammer classic. Classic is often over-used, but not in this case. From ingeneous multiple uses of the same sets with different dressings, to faultless cinematography and superb acting from soon to be stalwarts, Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. Several set pieces are still unnerving 60 years after being filmed - the standout being the confrontation in the graveyard with 'Aunt Lucy'.

Richard Gough is a bit over grouchy much of the time, but at least comes around in time to help the assured Dr Van Helsing. However, unsung hero (or heroine) of the film has to be Melissa Stribling as Mina 'Holmwood'. Matriach of the family home back in blighty and next victim after Lucy for the randy Count, she smoulders in a matronly, yet unmistakenly sexual manner when Drac sinks his fangs into her.

One of my favourite films. I re-watch it at regular intervals and always come away wondering how they managed such a great film with their limitations and one that stands the test of time so well.
Old 27th July 2019, 08:56 PM
Cult Addict

Gonzo: The Life and Work of Dr Hunter S Thompson.
Documentary about the rise of the journalist Hunter S Thompson from his book on Hell's Angels to his views on Jimmy at the same time talking about his private life to some degree.
An interesting watch to say the least, out of the 2 Thompson documentaries I have seen this one is so much better than buy the ticket take the ride.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 27th July 2019, 09:21 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Michael

TC 2000 (1993, TJ Scott)

3rd tier actioner with the Billy Blanks.
Jason Storm (BB) is forced to go it alone when framed (and his dead partner reanimated as a killing machine cough ) in this vaguely poapoc wing ding. Ahem. Quite entertaining really.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 28th July 2019, 08:32 AM
Cult Acolyte

Default Whoever Slew Auntie Roo?

Shelley Winters second outing in a Curtis Harrington psycho biddy horror film, see's Winters as Auntie Roo who invites children from the local orphanage to a her annual Christmas party...Sounds like a case for social services if ever I heard one, but no one seems bothered, ah they were the days. With only ten of the children being invited to the party, Oliver Twist himself Mark Lester as Christopher Coombs and Chloe Franks as Katy Coombs his sister manages to hide in Lionel Jeffries as Police Inspector Willoughby car, who volunteers to take the children to the party each year... Whoever Slew Auntie Roo? has the slight feel of a television movie, but its none the worse for that as it has a great atmosphere and a fine gothic feel, mostly due to that air of decay and sombre colours that you get from low budget British trash cinema from the early 1970's.What helps of course is that there was a massive talent pool of actors in Britain during the 1970s,and because British cinema was in decline, you could always get the bigger stars to slum it,so you have Ralph Richardson as Mr. Benton, fake psychic ,Lionel Jeffries as Police Inspector Willoughby and Hugh Griffith,and not forgetting Michael Gothard.. Obviously the film is just riffing on the Hansel and Gretel story, but Winters knows how to do crazy and the two child leads are unusually likeable, compared to most child actors. Harrington manages to make good use out of Winters persona, not sure if Dame Judi Dench, would take on similarly low brow roles...If your a fan of Hammers psychological thrillers like the Nanny and the other hag horror films you should enjoy this trashy treat..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg who_slew_auntie_roo.jpg (96.8 KB, 6 views)

Old 28th July 2019, 02:15 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Death-Wish.jpg

Dr. Paul Kersey a vastly experienced trauma surgeon is used to dealing with the results of gang and other random acts of violence living in Chicago where gun crime is ever growing problem but when it directly affects him and his family how will he cope. In a city where there is a violent crime every few minutes the police are spread thin and there is no way they can solve every crime sick of waiting and seeing no results Dr. Kersey decides to track down the men that wronged him and his family himself.

It can be hard but when watching a film like this you have to try and separate yourself from this modern effort and the original films just like i did when i watch The Equalizer and it worked then but can it work this time around.

Death Wish is pretty entertaining and nowhere near as bad as i expected. Some of the scenarios are pretty stupid but when it comes to the action and kills there is no messing around he is just straight in and kicking ass or blowing heads off and mutilating people in a various ways. Bruce Willis is pretty hit and miss throughout sometimes i noticed he would be almost laughing through a serious scene and a few times when something major would happen it just felt brushed under the carpet and the film just moved on too fast from it often taking you out of the tension or emotional impact of the scene. Not a bad way to pass 2 hours.

6/10
Old 28th July 2019, 02:47 PM
Cult Addict

Arachnophobia
A photographer heads to Venezuela with an expert on spiders and discovers a new species. Unfortunately he is bitten by said spider and it hitches a lift to America, where it breeds with a house spider and starts to spread. Unfortunately the new town doctor has Arachnophobia and must stop them from spreading.
I still enjoy this flick, it's creepy and it is darkly comic. The big spider at times kinda looks silly but meh minor complaint. John Goodman is one of my favourite characters. If you hate spiders I wouldn't recommend it.

Old 28th July 2019, 02:48 PM
Cult Master

533519923686981_mainphotos.jpg

While out on a job Christie a telephone linewoman spots a man in the bushes who seems to be in some trouble when Christie goes to his aid she finds a Ninja who is badly injured laying on the ground his last act on this earth to to possess the young woman in order to get revenge of the police officers who killed him. Christie starts dating Billy one of the cops involved and when she starts to experience blackouts that no one can explain he takes er to a Japanese exorcist to remove the spirit but its too strong even for him. While the spirit is still inside her the cops involved in the Ninjas death start to drop off one by one. Can it be stopped before it takes her over completely.

Ninja III is Canon at its finest the action scenes are fantastic with plenty of hilarious overacting when someone is stabbed or shot or even just standing there with nothing at all happening to them. This is the perfect film for a few beers just non stop entertainment from start to finish no filler even the random dancing for no reason during a very dangerous situation scene

Everytime i watch Ninja III The Domination it gets better and better just a fan ass time.

8/10
Old 28th July 2019, 02:51 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Attachment 217305

While out on a job Christie a telephone linewoman spots a man in the bushes who seems to be in some trouble when Christie goes to his aid she finds a Ninja who is badly injured laying on the ground his last act on this earth to to possess the young woman in order to get revenge of the police officers who killed him. Christie starts dating Billy one of the cops involved and when she starts to experience blackouts that no one can explain he takes er to a Japanese exorcist to remove the spirit but its too strong even for him. While the spirit is still inside her the cops involved in the Ninjas death start to drop off one by one. Can it be stopped before it takes her over completely.

Ninja III is Canon at its finest the action scenes are fantastic with plenty of hilarious overacting when someone is stabbed or shot or even just standing there with nothing at all happening to them. This is the perfect film for a few beers just non stop entertainment from start to finish no filler even the random dancing for no reason during a very dangerous situation scene

Everytime i watch Ninja III The Domination it gets better and better just a fan ass time.

8/10
Great review, need to rewatch the trilogy myself again soon

Old 28th July 2019, 02:56 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
Great review, need to rewatch the trilogy myself again soon

I gotta pick up that trilogy set i only have this one from scream factory not seen the others in a long time.
bleakshaun likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!