Like Tree179448Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st August 2019, 07:43 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Doom Asylum 1988.

When a man survives a car crash that leaves him disfigured, he makes an asylum his home and killing ground.

I don't think this film was to be taken seriously, the acting was never that great, the killings were not original and very 80s cheesy, the special effects and make up look very amateurish, there doesn't seem to be much plot and some goofs are very noticeable and some dark humour mixed in, but if you want a laugh and hear a different version of The House of the rising sun check it out
I had a lot of fun with this just could of done without the scenes of the killer watching the movie throughout the film.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 1st August 2019, 08:07 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

^
To be fair ... after the performance from the band in it, I was sort of in a trance
Rewatch!
Nordicdusk likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 2nd August 2019, 07:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Polaroid

Do you believe that the camera can steal your soul when it takes your picture?
Well, forget that
When a shy loner acquires an old camera, things get slightly blurred. It's a reasonable premise ... just naffly imagined. Grace Zabriskie squandered. Avoid.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Last edited by Demoncrat; 2nd August 2019 at 07:32 PM. Reason: rmph
Old 2nd August 2019, 09:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The last of Cormans , Poe films and for me probably the weakest . The usual Poe tale with madness, premature burial and black cats. Price is excellent as usual. 6.5/10

Now watching The Blood Beast of Terror.
Old 2nd August 2019, 10:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Has a bit of a bad rep, it's not the greatest of films but I've have a soft spot for. Peter Cushing is a police inspector in small village were a number have taking place, it's soon becomes apparent that something none human is responsible for the deaths. 6.5/10

Now watching The Man from Planet X.
Old 3rd August 2019, 03:06 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Delirium Photos of Gioia (1987)

The past couple of times i've seen this i found it thoroughly enjoyable but on third viewing (Don't think i've seen it this decade i might add) it seemed a little ho-hum.

It really doesn't have a lot going for it other than allowing the viewer to see victims from the killers absurd viewpoint giving them grotesque and honestly a bit silly, facial features.

It's other main selling point is it's star Serena Grandi. Voluptuous doesn't really begin to describe her, and co-star Sabrina Salerno. Lads of a certain age will remember Sabrina for her raunchy pop video Boys, boys, boys...in fact Salerno's death scene in this is basically a sped up run through of that music video as she does the same arms in the air choreography, it's just that in the pop video she wasn't being attacked by fake wasps.

So what we are left with is a pretty average giallo that nicks elements from better films such as Blood and Black Lace but is ultimately a case of style (and boobs) over substance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-asset.jpg (95.3 KB, 4 views)
Old 3rd August 2019, 06:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

You had me at boobs
Very even handed review D. I thought it was pond scum

Saturday Night Fever (John Badham)

Dance Demon Dance!!
Tony Manero knows his time is running out ... the weekly vid on TOTP sorta put me off this for years. But a friend showed me this version back in the late 80s. Far grittier than you would think. Based on a Nik Cohn short story, we follow Tony and his pals chasing skirt and dealing with big city life.

[B]
Old 3rd August 2019, 08:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A couple of scientist , a reporter and one of the scientist daughter discover that a rogue planet has entered our solo system , not long after a craft from the planet lands near the scientists , they come upon the occupant in a state of distress and take it back with them, one of the scientists tries to force the alien to give up its scientific knowledge, when it won't comply he leaves it to die. But it doesn't and it starts controlling members of the village to seek its revenge . Atmospheric with a surprising gothic feel to it. 6.5/10

Now watching Project : Metal Beast.
Old 3rd August 2019, 09:59 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

That's The Way Of The World (1975, Sig Shore)

As "music biz" films go, it's fairly honest if not a little meta really , a Bryanston release no less ahem.
The Bad Lieutenant is an A&R man with his finger on the pulse baby. But when the higher ups foist a "family act" on him, his conscience is severely pricked. If I ever hear their muzak again, I will not be held responsible
Ahem. It's a bit rough round the edges, but Earth, Wind & Fire smooth over the cracks.

[B]
Old 3rd August 2019, 10:44 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Dumbo (2019)

Tim Burton's reworking of the early classic Disney cartoon is in my opinion an improvement on the original. During a first half that goes down the cutesy route you might expect, the second half which takes place at the very Burton esq Dreamland is at times a scary fantasy which evokes Batman Returns more than once and certainly has that Burton visual flair especially when accompanied by Danny Elfman's thunderous score which again evokes Batman Returns at times.

It's more an exercise in style over substance as the script has various plot holes but i enjoyed the performances from stars Colin Farrell, Danny Devito, Michael Keaton (There's that Batman Returns link again) and the always watchable Eva Green. The totally CGI elephant with huge ears is the star of the show of course and at times it looks wonderfully realistic.

Depressingly the film goes down the 21st century route of shaming the past especially circus animals which grated somewhat and completely ignored ideas from the original such as the other animals basically bullying the young elephant. It's no surprise that there ain't a crow in site either. The words MUST NOT OFFEND were surely at the top of all production dossiers.

As 100 minutes entertainment it certainly did the trick, but how memorable it actually was remains to be seen. I have my doubts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6a103c26e8254b6bd384697428504286.jpg (96.0 KB, 4 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!