Like Tree179616Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th August 2019, 07:41 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
Midsommar
A woman who's boyfriend is thinking of splitting up with her loses her family and is destroyed, a few months later she tags along with her boyfriend and his friends to a Swedish festival that only happens once every 90 years.
Em........ I don't know how I feel about this one, looks visually beautiful some great acting throughout and it doesn't rely on jump scares. I think a rewatch in the future.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Noted b!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 5th August 2019, 08:10 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
Midsommar
A woman who's boyfriend is thinking of splitting up with her loses her family and is destroyed, a few months later she tags along with her boyfriend and his friends to a Swedish festival that only happens once every 90 years.
Em........ I don't know how I feel about this one, looks visually beautiful some great acting throughout and it doesn't rely on jump scares. I think a rewatch in the future.
I saw this at the cinema and completely forgot to write anything about it.

Okay, this is coming from someone who loved Hereditary and didn't want to be disappointed by Midsommar, Ari Aster's follow-up. Perhaps fortunately, it is nothing like his previous film in terms of narrative, though tonally and aesthetically there are similarities.

What it does have is a pervasive and long-lasting sense of weirdness to the point where you are never quite comfortable – I never had a chance to relax or have any 'breathing room' because the whole setup is so incredibly strange and, like every viewer, I knew the visitors are completely out of their depth. That's really as much as you do know, because the titular festival is completely unknown to outsiders and fiercely protected by those in the (for want of a better word) commune. I wasn't quite sure if the drink they passed around (is it inspired by Jim Jones' 'Kool-Aid'?) was safe or not

It's a film that doesn't rely on jump scares, but does benefit from the unexpected, and when something catches you unexpectedly, it does have an impact. It would be obvious and a little lazy to draw parallels with The Wicker Man, but it also has a lot in common with Tarkovsky's The Sacrifice, and I would guess they were both reference points when Aster was writing Midsommar.

I'd be lying if I said it was a film I liked because it isn't really 'fun', but it was a film I appreciated and admired a great deal and will buy it when it's available. There were moments where I didn't quite know whether to gasp or laugh, probably laughing and then felt a little awkward having done so. I think it'll be one of those which grows in my estimations with time and repeated viewings, and I hope I'm right in that assessment.
Old 5th August 2019, 08:15 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Default hello Darkness my old friend.....

Well, I didn't see that coming. If you know from 'magic realism' ... then you'll know what to expect. But if all you know is the Magic Roundabout ....
Ahem.
trebor8273 likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 5th August 2019, 08:16 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Hot Fuzz. Not seen this for a few years and forgot how good it is. The best of the Cornetto Trilogy, this very English take on the hollywood action movie references most of them to be fair, along with Crocodile Dundee and countless others. The script is top stuff, as is Nick Frost, "He's not Judge Judy and executioner!" as Danny and the 'Andies' featuring Paddy Considine, "Don't go being a twat now." Also features pretty much every comedy actor in the UK, along with The Hound, James Bond and The Queen.

Very quotable.
Old 5th August 2019, 08:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
Hot Fuzz. Not seen this for a few years and forgot how good it is. The best of the Cornetto Trilogy, this very English take on the hollywood action movie references most of them to be fair, along with Crocodile Dundee and countless others. The script is top stuff, as is Nick Frost, "He's not Judge Judy and executioner!" as Danny and the 'Andies' featuring Paddy Considine, "Don't go being a twat now." Also features pretty much every comedy actor in the UK, along with The Hound, James Bond and The Queen.

Very quotable.

I fit all the lights and did the fire alarm in the supermarket from Hot Fuzz, it’s actually (or was) a Somerfield
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 5th August 2019, 09:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I Walk The Line (1970, John Frankenheimer)

The usually morally upright Gregory Peck for once plays a more tarnished sort this time. Yes, there are Johnny Cash songs on the ST
Had to laugh at this ... Scene with Peck and his deputy, who you first see ogling a nudie book. Camera switches ... and it's a young Charles Durning!!!

[B]
Old 5th August 2019, 10:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Adventures of Robin Hood 1938.

Sir Robin of Locksley rebels against Prince John he fights back as an Outlaw with a small army of men.

This was a classic and delightful adventure movie, Errol Flynn portrayal of Robin Hood was amazing aswell as Claude Rains as Prince John with Basil Rathbone as Sir Guy. Oliva De Havilland plays Maid Marian. There is some good comedy moments and even the tights Errol wears look a bit to uncomfortable. Tony Gaudio and Sol Polito do manage to capture great cinematography even without any special effects that are out today this was a great film.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg errolflynnasrobinhood.jpg (80.7 KB, 6 views)
Old 6th August 2019, 02:31 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Blood Legacy 1971.

A family arrive at a victorian house for a reading of a will only to die one by one.

This had a good star cast from John Carradine as the father and abuser of the household, Merry Anders, Jeff Marrow, Faith Domergue, and Brooke Mills as the siblings who will inherit a fortune if they stay in the house with the servants. This was a messed up film that seems to drag on slower than an old age pensioner driving down a road, how I managed to watch this all the way through to the end I don't know, if boredom is something you want check it out, but other times avoid.
Old 6th August 2019, 05:11 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
Hot Fuzz

Very quotable.
Yarp!
Demoncrat and Deadite like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 6th August 2019, 12:10 PM
Seasoned Cultist

And now the screaming Starts(1973)

Charles (Ian Ogilvy) and Catherine Fengriffen(Stephanie beacham) are newlyweds who move into his posh castle. And she starts seeing visions of a chap with no eyes and a missing hand. and discovers that there is a family curse.

a full length feature film from Amicus that is pretty entertaining and well worth a watch. And with a great cast including Patrick Magee and herbert lom. Peter cushing also gets lead credit as his role of a doctor, but it is a good 45 minutes before he even makes an appearance in the film. Stephanie beacham gives a solid performance too even if it is a little hammy at times. but her heaving bosom is always a pleasure to watch.

Recommended for all gothic Hammer type film fans, with nice sets and period costumes. and with a mean spirited flashback were a chap's new wife gets raped by the squire and then cut off his hand. 72 out of 100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2018-02-11 at 12.24.55 PM.jpg (19.8 KB, 6 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!