Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th August 2019, 02:06 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Saw this online, statham and rock have contracts stating they can't lose in a fight.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertain...ulations.html/
Old 6th August 2019, 04:19 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981)

One of the classic slasher films and the one i consider that really began the Friday the 13th series.

Although so much is cut out of the film gore FX wise to gain an R certificate back in the day, this second film in the series is still one of the high points in slasher cinema. It works because the cast are (largely) likable and the enthusiasm with which debutant director Steve Miner goes about introducing masked killer Jason Vorhees with original atmospheric music to his victims all ripe for the slaughter somehow remains fresh almost forty years later as do the sheer number of differing kill scenes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg friday-the-13th-part-2.jpg (93.7 KB, 7 views)
Old 6th August 2019, 10:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Black Cat 1941.

At a isolated mansion an old woman gathers her greedy relatives to find out what they will inherit after her death but nobody wants to wait for her to die.

This was a comical thriller that does serve up good one liners and everyone blaming each other. Basil Rathbone leads the cast with Broderick Crawford, Anne Gynne and a sinister Bela Lugosi who has very little lines but enjoys peering in the shadows and windows. It's perfect shot by Stanley Cortez, the set is brilliant and creepy as well with a good background score.. One to check out for fans of dark houses.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (9.2 KB, 3 views)
Old 7th August 2019, 12:39 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

One Minute Before Death 1972.

A woman is possessed by the ghost of another woman who's painting resides in the home where she is staying.

Based on Edgar Allen Poe's story The Oval Painting, I have put off watching this, deciding during the rain to watch it, for what it's worth the story was good but the actors are a bit of a let down, they just seem plain and wooden. Filmed between Mexico and Canada, this is one of those Victorian period with a gothic manor that mostly plays on the psychological side rather than a full blown ghost story. It does start off well then slides a bit towards the end to pick up the pace. Wouldn't say it's a gem, but on a quiet night it's watchable. 4-5 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oneminutebeforedeath.jpg (8.3 KB, 4 views)
Old 7th August 2019, 07:45 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

American Bigfoot

Zach Galligan should know betterer
Enjoyable enough ... the cast all have their motivations etc. 15, so it's not a charnel house . Clint Howard pops up to amuse old codgers

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 7th August 2019, 08:45 AM
Cult Acolyte

1200x630bb.jpg
THE WILD BUNCH (Directors Cut) (1969)

Excellent, violent western in which after a bloody gunfight after a bank hold-up goes wrong for 'Wild Bunch', they head into Mexico to do one last job.
When a Mexican General holds and tortures one of the group, they head off to get him back which leads to an incredible gun fight.
There is also an amazing stunt here, in which a group of bounty hunters are on a bridge when it is blown up and both men and horses plunge into the river.

Old 7th August 2019, 02:02 PM
Seasoned Cultist

The Child(1977)

a young women goes back to the place she grew up to work as a nanny looking after a weird little girl called Rosalie, who has lost her mother and lives with her hillbilly father and brother. and discovers that she has creepy zombie friends in the nearby cemetery.

Produced by harry novak, this is a strange and rather compelling film.with a very spooky atmosphere and with weird characters, especially the old lady neighbour whose acting has to be seen to be believed.

Special effects are cheap but still quite effective given the low budget feel, with some rather nasty eye gougings and face mutilations. and even the rather badly made up zombies still are worth a watch in the final scenes where they are laying siege night of the living dead style.

Good 70s style fun, and again more interesting than what PC hollywood churns out lately. Just a shame about the rather annoying soundtrack. 71 out of 100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the-child-1977-23_orig.jpg (18.3 KB, 6 views)
Old 7th August 2019, 03:08 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Alien (1979)

Despite HR Giger's alien creature being possibly the most convincing er' alien, in screen history, Ridley Scott's classic film still leaves me a little cold at times. Mainly in it's first hour. It's clearly a very good film and it's mixture of sci-fi and dare i say it, Gothic horror, works quite well, i do think it tends to plod along, albeit around tremendously designed sets, with for the most part under written characters - I mean, let's be honest. In a cast of just seven people, both Yaphet Kotto (Practically a crime when you consider his scene stealing villain in Live and Let Die a few years prior) and Veronica Cartwright are instantly forgettable. The same could also be said of John Hurt up to the fifty minute mark when he features in the movies' best known scene.

Giger's alien creature is fascinatingly hideous. The fact it's merely a man in a rubber suit is superbly hidden by both Scott and the behind the scenes crew thanks to eerie lighting and ingenious photography, but when we are afforded glimpses of the creature in full focus it really is a thing of beauty. If the first half of the film moves at a crawl the second half is pure cat and mouse horror (especially cat in the case of ginger moggy Jonesy who definitely has more screen time than Cartwright) and touches on both our sense of horrified wonder at the creature itself and our morbid fear of the dark and what may be lurking in it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 81lrPEEJ2WL._SY679_.jpg (32.5 KB, 6 views)
Old 7th August 2019, 04:54 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Alien (1979)

Despite HR Giger's alien creature being possibly the most convincing er' alien, in screen history, Ridley Scott's classic film still leaves me a little cold at times. Mainly in it's first hour. It's clearly a very good film and it's mixture of sci-fi and dare i say it, Gothic horror, works quite well, i do think it tends to plod along, albeit around tremendously designed sets, with for the most part under written characters - I mean, let's be honest. In a cast of just seven people, both Yaphet Kotto (Practically a crime when you consider his scene stealing villain in Live and Let Die a few years prior) and Veronica Cartwright are instantly forgettable. The same could also be said of John Hurt up to the fifty minute mark when he features in the movies' best known scene.

Giger's alien creature is fascinatingly hideous. The fact it's merely a man in a rubber suit is superbly hidden by both Scott and the behind the scenes crew thanks to eerie lighting and ingenious photography, but when we are afforded glimpses of the creature in full focus it really is a thing of beauty. If the first half of the film moves at a crawl the second half is pure cat and mouse horror (especially cat in the case of ginger moggy Jonesy who definitely has more screen time than Cartwright) and touches on both our sense of horrified wonder at the creature itself and our morbid fear of the dark and what may be lurking in it.
I've always considered Alien to be the weakest installment in the franchise personally. It looks grand and all that but it just lacks something. It's a very cold affair in which I find it hard to really care.
I honestly prefer parts 3 and 4. And Prometheus for that matter. Covenant was ok too but felt more of a popcorn flick than a Ridley Scott film.
Old 7th August 2019, 05:46 PM
Cult Master

jan2005splash.jpg

Black JFK and Elvis working together to rid their retirement home of an ancient Egyptian Mummy that is stalking the place and sucking the souls out of the residents.

I have watched this film a few times and i just can't get into it i find it slow and boring even the humor does not work for me. Maybe i'm missing something because most people seem to love it or really like it at least but its just not for me.

Like this? Share it using the links below!