Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

mbv 11th June 2010 10:51 AM

Watched Alien Contamination last night.
For all its flaws I really enjoyed this. Some nice gory scenes and ridiculous FX. Script is quite funny in parts.

Sargento 11th June 2010 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbv (Post 85620)
Watched Alien Contamination last night.
For all its flaws I really enjoyed this. Some nice gory scenes and ridiculous FX. Script is quite funny in parts.

MBV..... Didn't you find the scenes where the pods/eggs were breathing ready to explode incredibly drawn out? I almost found myself falling asleep waiting!!

:pound:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 11th June 2010 04:00 PM

Of all the unlikely movies, I watched Top Gun last night (and again with the commentary) as it is been ages since I had seen the film and decided to buy it on Blu-ray. It is one of those that works despite (or perhaps because of) the amount of cheese and cliché. The hairstyles are outrageous, the music extremely dated and the characters fairly standard but it does what it sets out to do, and does it very well, aided in no small part by the sheer amount of real-life fighter plane footage. They could have easily cheated and used lots of in cockpit footage and CG jets but they had the backing of the US military, so didn't need to!

mbv 11th June 2010 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sargento (Post 85661)
MBV..... Didn't you find the scenes where the pods/eggs were breathing ready to explode incredibly drawn out? I almost found myself falling asleep waiting!!

:pound:

To be fair the movie could have been trimmed to about 10 mins!!!
Can't believe its one of the nasties though. Was it the exploding rat? The lady getting a serious smack and then asking Ian McCulloch does he want to go to South America? madness!

Sargento 11th June 2010 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbv (Post 85675)
To be fair the movie could have been trimmed to about 10 mins!!!
Can't believe its one of the nasties though. Was it the exploding rat? The lady getting a serious smack and then asking Ian McCulloch does he want to go to South America? madness!

That was the 80s my friend! Mad!!!!! Just look at today's movies .... 90% would have been banned in the 80s!!! How times change.

:eek:

re.form 11th June 2010 11:50 PM

Bad Lt - Port of Call New Orleans.

Really, really funny.

Stephen@Cult Labs 12th June 2010 07:38 AM

Watched Harpoon last night.Thoroughly enjoyed it.Some nice gore effects.I've seen quite a few reviews saying the movie is crap but I don't know what thiose people were expecting from a film called Reykjavik Whale Watching Massacre.It did exeacly what it said on the box.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 12th June 2010 11:51 AM

I really liked that film and hope to watch it again pretty soon. It's a shame that the disc doesn't really have any extra features is a commentary or set of interviews wouldn't go amiss.

Like you say, it does exactly what it says on the tin and is a film about a group of people being treated as prey on the high seas around Iceland by what appear to be a group of cannibalistic neo-Nazis!

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 12th June 2010 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevoj (Post 85781)
Watched Harpoon last night.Thoroughly enjoyed it.Some nice gore effects.I've seen quite a few reviews saying the movie is crap but I don't know what thiose people were expecting from a film called Reykjavik Whale Watching Massacre.It did exeacly what it said on the box.

Agreed! I really enjoyed it - ALOT! Thought it was excellent, nice and gory too. The idea of a slasher film on a boat is very appealing. Plus the whole whale part towards the end was great.

Went to see The Room last night. Oh boy did it live up to it's hype of the worst movie ever. I've never been to a cult film screening like that before (where you have to shout/do stuff at certain points of the film). Very very enjoyable.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 12th June 2010 01:18 PM

Last night I watched The Uninvited, as the remake of the brilliant Thai horror film A Tale of Two Sisters. I didn't expect it to live up to the brilliance of the original but I didn't expect it to be as utterly devoid of imagination, suspense or horror as it was. David Straithairn is a terrific actor and I have no idea what he was doing in a piece of garbage like this.

I also watched Roman Polanski's The Tenant which is a terrific movie -- really claustrophobic and with a sense or growing unease and insanity that permeates the film. You can see a lot of Rosemary's Baby in this in the way that Polanski uses the apartment block as another character.