Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179626Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th August 2019, 07:25 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Plague Of Zombies 1966.

Young people begin to die mysteriously, the Doctor sends for help in the guise of his professor who uncover the truth.

John Gilling directs this only hammer horror take on the zombie genre which these zombies are controlled by the mind and not running around eating people turning others to the mindless state of Hunger and flesh.

Brook Williams (Where Eagles Dare) plays the young Doctor who cannot find the answers to the death of the villagers. André Morell
(Ben-Hur) plays the professor summoned to the village with his daughter Sylvia played by Diane Clark (The Haunting) who believes the squire Clive Hamilton (John Carson, (Captain Kronos) has dabbled in Voodoo.

This holds up better than some of the recent Zombie films that have been released, no blood or guts are needed for entertainment purposes but more traditional gothic background and decent acting with a eerie background score. At 53 years old this film is still worth watching
Attached Images
File Type: jpg plague_of_the_zombies_climax.jpg (17.1 KB, 4 views)
Old 18th August 2019, 09:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Reptile 1966.

After his brother dies, a couple decide to live in the house after being warned to move on and find out that a mysterious plague swoops over the community.

Ray Barrett (Australia) plays the grieving sibling out to find out how his healthy fit brother died, intends to find answers with his wife Valerie (Jennifer Daniel, The kiss of the Vampire). Noel Willman (Doctor Zhivago) plays Doctor Franklyn who seems to persuade the couple to leave. Jacqueline Pearce (Blake's 7) plays Franklyn's daughter Anna who seems quiet and mysterious. There is a small appearance by John Laurie (Dad's Army Pte Laurie) as Mad Pete to the villagers.

Hit with problems due to production costs, the film was made back to back with the plague if zombies, the same set was re-use for this film, and some few re writes of the script and make up, so we don't see the creature till almost the end but the twist was decently built up for the film even though the make up is laughable now back then it was effectively done well. 6 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (3.8 KB, 5 views)
Old 18th August 2019, 09:47 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
The Plague Of Zombies 1966.

Young people begin to die mysteriously, the Doctor sends for help in the guise of his professor who uncover the truth.

John Gilling directs this only hammer horror take on the zombie genre which these zombies are controlled by the mind and not running around eating people turning others to the mindless state of Hunger and flesh.

Brook Williams (Where Eagles Dare) plays the young Doctor who cannot find the answers to the death of the villagers. André Morell
(Ben-Hur) plays the professor summoned to the village with his daughter Sylvia played by Diane Clark (The Haunting) who believes the squire Clive Hamilton (John Carson, (Captain Kronos) has dabbled in Voodoo.

This holds up better than some of the recent Zombie films that have been released, no blood or guts are needed for entertainment purposes but more traditional gothic background and decent acting with a eerie background score. At 53 years old this film is still worth watching
I love this movie! Wish to have enough money to buy the blu ray
MrBarlow likes this.
Old 18th August 2019, 10:20 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Heat (1995)

Michael Mann's crime thriller about a cop (Al Pacino) on the trail of Robert De Niro's criminal gang is as epic in scale as it is in length.

Essentially a character study sporting a great ensemble cast, the film is also punctuated by bursts of gripping action, including a running battle in downtown LA that ranks as one of the greatest action sequences ever put on celluloid. Yet it's also the quieter moments that are just as memorable (thinking the coffee shop scene here) meaning when it all comes together, Heat is one of the best crime thrillers ever made.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg heat-poster.jpg (92.7 KB, 3 views)
Old 18th August 2019, 10:33 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Braveheart (1995)

Mel Gibson directs and stars in this 13th century epic based on the life of William Wallace, a Highlander who led the Scottish revolt against the tyranny of English King Edward 'Longshanks' - a sneering Patrick McGoohan.

Although factually all over the place this is stirring stuff with heroic characters who rally us with even more heroic speeches in true classic Hollywood epic style giving the film a wonderful emotional impact, but it's the superb (and graphic) battle scenes involving hundreds if not thousands of extras, in which Gibson thrusts the viewer into the midst of the blood soaked mayhem, that both shocked and exhilarated at the same time and changed big budget action scenes forever.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51WhM9qfycL.jpg (39.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 18th August 2019, 11:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Rasputin:The Mad Monk 1966.

After being exiled by the monastery, Grigori Rasputin claims to have healing powers worms his way to the royal family of Russia through the Czarina's lady in waiting.

Decent Hammer Horror thriller/chiller with Christopher Lee as the mad monk who claims he can cure the sick with his mind and hands and hypnotise people with his eyes. This might not be the an accurate tale of his life but Lee brought out the dark side of him and made the character his own that no other actor could have pulled this off. Worth a watch 6-7 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images (1).jpg (6.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 18th August 2019, 11:58 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Rasputin:The Mad Monk 1966.

Lee brought out the dark side of him and made the character his own that no other actor could have pulled this off.
Oh i don't know, can't remember much of the film but Tom Baker seemed like a good choice in Nicholas and Alexandra.

MrBarlow likes this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 19th August 2019, 12:06 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
Oh i don't know, can't remember much of the film but Tom Baker seemed like a good choice in Nicholas and Alexandra.

Never seen that version before, is it worth a watch?
Old 19th August 2019, 01:04 AM
Cult Addict

Like i say i can't remember much, its generally a historical film not horror, but remembered Tom was Rasputin, certainly has the booming voice, a hypnotic stare and a slightly unhinged quality though in general i'd say.
MrBarlow likes this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 19th August 2019, 01:13 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
Like i say i can't remember much, its generally a historical film not horror, but remembered Tom was Rasputin, certainly has the booming voice, a hypnotic stare and a slightly unhinged quality though in general i'd say.
The other version i saw was the 1996-97 version Alan Rickman played Rasputin, he didn't have the menacing eyes or deep voice, felt a bit let down by it, It was good for Ian Mckellen as Tsar Nicholas II.
trebor8273 and nosferatu42 like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!