Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th February 2013 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 319007)
Oh cool. So two more films to seek out :woot: . . .

Quote:

Originally Posted by sawyer6 (Post 319008)
I haven't seen the sequels either but I want to see them too !

They Call me Mr. Tibbs was extremely disappointing after the masterpiece that is In the Heat of the Night.

They shouldn't have bothered.

trebor8273 4th February 2013 05:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
some more stuff that's been seen, toolbox murders was awful and had to turn it off after 20 minutes, the fog was a pleasant surprise other times i watched this i could not get into it, granted i was either very young or it was on tv after a late night out on the town, might watch the documentary which is on the disc fear on film inside the fog, it was a very atmospheric and creepy film how did i not enjoy it:crazy::crazy:

Nordicdusk 4th February 2013 07:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 99043

Great film

Katharine Isabelle is so beautiful :love:

SShaw 4th February 2013 07:05 PM

i finally got around to watching my Secret Santa gift the DVD of Fears of the Dark While I found it diverting I am not sure I will be in a hurry to return to it (sorry santa).

Baseball Fury 4th February 2013 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 319009)
Ditto the Shaft sequels :nod:

Talking of that film, watched Django Unchained last night - thought that was an annoying and unnecessary detail that his wife was called Broomhilda von Shaft :doh: . . .

From what I gather, they're supposed to be Shaft's great grandparents or something? WRITTEN is an oddball!

Hawkmonger 4th February 2013 07:39 PM

Decieded i'm going to watch Hitchock at the cinema on friday. Hear middling things about it but excited none the less.

Baseball Fury 4th February 2013 07:42 PM

Written? I put QT! Stupid phone.

I was supposed to be seeing Hitchcock tonight, but I'm sick in bed. Booooo.

Slippery Jack 4th February 2013 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseball Fury (Post 319073)
From what I gather, they're supposed to be Shaft's great grandparents or something?

Yeah I heard that. How lame :rolleyes:

Was quite disappointed by the film on the whole. The soundtrack in particualar I found surprisingly poor, and the pacing was terrible! Sam Jackson by far the best of a rather unmemorable cast (by Tarantino standards). Fox was ok, but the Broomhilda character was woefully underdeveloped, and made a damp squib of the whole quest. A major step down from the rip-roaring Inglourious Basterds . . .

Handyman Joe 4th February 2013 08:02 PM

The Naked Kiss - imagine taking a pint of neat vinegar and adding 10 tablespoons of sugar - the queasy feeling it would induce probably feels like watching this movie. You lurch from overloaded sentiment to sexual perversions often in mid scene. There's a bonkers but weirdly haunting children's chorus musical number around the 55 min mark that had me, yet again, thinking never say you've seen everything. What else in this tale of a good girl gone bad and trying to be good again? A heinous brothel Madame luring innocent nurses, Lots of Beethoven, a tailors dummy covered in medals called Charlie - honestly, loads of crazy shit presented crazily. Another gem from Sam Fuller, one I bet John Waters adores

Baseball Fury 4th February 2013 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 319095)
Yeah I heard that. How lame :rolleyes:

Was quite disappointed by the film on the whole. The soundtrack in particualar I found surprisingly poor, and the pacing was terrible! Sam Jackson by far the best of a rather unmemorable cast (by Tarantino standards). Fox was ok, but the Broomhilda character was woefully underdeveloped, and made a damp squib of the whole quest. A major step down from the rip-roaring Inglourious Basterds . . .

I liked the soundtrack apart from the hip-hop tracks, which really pulled me out of the film. I'm not sure if he was aiming at doing a Posse kind of thing, but to me it was really jarring.

Slippery Jack 4th February 2013 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseball Fury (Post 319118)
I liked the soundtrack apart from the hip-hop tracks, which really pulled me out of the film. I'm not sure if he was aiming at doing a Posse kind of thing, but to me it was really jarring.

Yeah, apart from the original Django song and the bits of Morricone and Jerry Goldsmith, I found most of the songs detracted from the scenes they played over, the first time I've felt that in a Tarantino film . . .

Frankie Teardrop 4th February 2013 09:39 PM

FASTER PUSSYCAT, KILL, KILL - Needs no introduction and is probably officially one of the coolest films of all time. Manages to feel sleazy and hard-boiled without being remotely explicit - the violence of these women is all about chilly detachment and razor wire tongues. In fact, the sassy, poisonous dialogue is one of the main reasons I keep returning to this, that and the cartoonishly bleak misanthropy on show. It's also visually quite skewed, with weird monochrome angles warping the arid desert setting. Cool theme tune, too.

2001 MANIACS - The remake. I thought it was pretty enjoyable, if only on a 'gore' level. It strives for bad taste, but within its consumer-oriented constraints only gets as far as frat-boy gross out as opposed to any real twistedness. Still, it flies by pretty smoothly and doesn't offend with excessive characterisation, plot or narrative nicety, and, sad to say, that's all I really require from a disposable item such as this. The HG original was grim and funny, and, although not my favourute of his, had that creepy, leering vibe which I always think marks out true exploitation - that shadowy sickness all but absent from latter day imitations. But, anyway, pretty good.

DAGON - I know that 'Dagon' tends to split people a little. Maybe that depends on expectations / approach - as a H.P adaption it's, well, not very good (Lovecraft doesn't translate into cinema.at.all. imo, but that's another story). But as a trashy B picture, it almost rocks. And, weirdly enough, there were a couple of moments - ie. a misshapen figure stumbling down a street in silhouette, a crowd of gurgling fishpeople - where I caught myself thinking "Hmm, yeah maybe this could pass as an almost Lovecraftian image"... but mostly it succeeds as an atmospheric dollop of gore and low key sleaze. I liked the constant sense of rain, and the rotting seaside town, the fishperson sound fx, the tentacular moments. The bad CGI was not really an issue for me as I'm unrealistically tolerant of such, but I imagine it would've completely sunk the whole show for anyone up for anything approaching a real treatment of ...Innsmouth. Anyway, 'Dagon' - I liked it, maybe you will, maybe you won't.

PaulD 4th February 2013 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 319130)
FASTER PUSSYCAT, KILL, KILL - Needs no introduction and is probably officially one of the coolest films of all time. Manages to feel sleazy and hard-boiled without being remotely explicit - the violence of these women is all about chilly detachment and razor wire tongues. In fact, the sassy, poisonous dialogue is one of the main reasons I keep returning to this, that and the cartoonishly bleak misanthropy on show. It's also visually quite skewed, with weird monochrome angles warping the arid desert setting. Cool theme tune, too.

Yes yes yes yes yes x 100. One of my all-time favourites.

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th February 2013 09:56 PM

I think i agree with all three reviews Frankie. Spot on.

Slippery Jack 4th February 2013 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 319131)
Yes yes yes yes yes x 100. One of my all-time favourites.

Just ordered the 19 film boxset + book for £16.99 from Sainsburys :woot: . . .

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th February 2013 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 319134)
Just ordered the 19 film boxset + book for £16.99 from Sainsburys :woot: . . .

You'll certainly get an eyeful.

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/gene...tml#post274366

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/gene...tml#post275883 2 on this page. :)

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/gene...tml#post278204

Justin101 4th February 2013 11:05 PM

Just finished watching Tokyo Story, I'm blown away, such a great film, I'm on a massive downer now though, the last 30-40 minutes are so sad.

Linbro 5th February 2013 12:09 AM

'The Evil Dead'. One of my all time favourites. Not much I can say about the film that hasn't already been said, I guess.
First time I watched this was with four friends, late at night, on VHS. We were about 14(1986) I think, and had heard second or third hand stories about it - the infamous tree-rape, pencil in the ankle etc. What really set it apart was that it not only lived up to expectations, but exceeded them.

The HD picture & audio are superb, and to me the film still stands up. Even the slightly dodgy stop motion decomposition at the end works, for me. I'm sure it would be CGI'd these days.
My latest favourite shot is from the opening sequence, when the car crosses the bridge and the camera is waiting for it, then follows it to the cabin. Simple but effective.
Need to find time to check out the extras.

fuzzymctiger 5th February 2013 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linbro (Post 319146)
'The Evil Dead'. One of my all time favourites. Not much I can say about the film that hasn't already been said, I guess.
First time I watched this was with four friends, late at night, on VHS. We were about 14(1986) I think, and had heard second or third hand stories about it - the infamous tree-rape, pencil in the ankle etc. What really set it apart was that it not only lived up to expectations, but exceeded them.

The HD picture & audio are superb, and to me the film still stands up. Even the slightly dodgy stop motion decomposition at the end works, for me. I'm sure it would be CGI'd these days.
My latest favourite shot is from the opening sequence, when the car crosses the bridge and the camera is waiting for it, then follows it to the cabin. Simple but effective.
Need to find time to check out the extras.

Well the remake comes out this year. And we are being promised 97% practical effects.

Rik 5th February 2013 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseball Fury (Post 318929)
What tracks are you getting, Albini raw files or the Scott Litt tweaked ones?

I've got a copy of Albini's original mix, before the vocals and bass were tweaked and the Scott Litt remixes were done, and it's a really interesting listen. It's a big dirty noise rock sound, kind of like how "I Hate Myself and Want To Die" sounds.

I'm not sure yet, one of the tutors at college who I work in the studio with has acquired them from somewhere. I'll be sure to upload my mixes when they're done, we're finishing off mixing Superstition by Stevie Wonder this week, I'll upload that too when it's done

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 5th February 2013 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 319141)
Just finished watching Tokyo Story, I'm blown away, such a great film, I'm on a massive downer now though, the last 30-40 minutes are so sad.

When a film finishes with an elderly couple sitting down and one saying to the other "Isn't life disappointing?", it isn't exactly the cheeriest of ways to end a movie! Still, it's one of the best films ever made.

Hawkmonger 5th February 2013 10:33 AM

Did I mention I was practicaly forced to watch Project X last night? What a vile, putrid, moraly incompetant, unfunny mean spirited, crude, malicious and down right nasty piece of dog shite it is. Twilight Breaking Bad part shitstorm is no longer the worst movie of 2012 as I see it. This vulger stain on the face of film making is an insult to anyone inteligences. As a house party film, it's dull, as a reflection of humantiy I dispair. :censored:

trebor8273 5th February 2013 10:52 AM

I enjoyed project x mind that was the one with Matthew broderick and Helen hunt, the one your talking about does look pretty terrible

Justin101 5th February 2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 319188)
Did I mention I was practicaly forced to watch Project X last night? What a vile, putrid, moraly incompetant, unfunny mean spirited, crude, malicious and down right nasty piece of dog shite it is. Twilight Breaking Bad part shitstorm is no longer the worst movie of 2012 as I see it. This vulger stain on the face of film making is an insult to anyone inteligences. As a house party film, it's dull, as a reflection of humantiy I dispair. :censored:

I felt the same too, and the little coda where he 'got the girl' just made it even worse - vile film.

Demdike@Cult Labs 5th February 2013 12:09 PM

Quote:

I need to see this.

Anything that has Hawk preaching about morals sounds good to me. :nod:

Hawkmonger 5th February 2013 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 319209)
I need to see this.

Anything that has Hawk preaching about morals sounds good to me. :nod:

Oh lawks your in for a treat. it has negligable postive features what so ever, it's just a vile piece of crap.

Demdike@Cult Labs 5th February 2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 319214)
Oh lawks your in for a treat. it has negligable postive features what so ever, it's just a vile piece of crap.

I know not to trust Amazon reviews but they mostly seem very positive. Its IMDB score of 6.6 is quite high also. On Rotten Tomatoes audiences love it but critics hate it.

Hawkmonger 5th February 2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 319217)
I know not to trust Amazon reviews but they mostly seem very positive. Its IMDB score of 6.6 is quite high also. On Rotten Tomatoes audiences love it but critics hate it.

You should look at WHO likes it. Mostly 12-17 year olds who wouldn't know talent if it beat them across the face with it's genitals. :rolleyes:

Justin101 5th February 2013 12:24 PM

it's like an x-rated version of Skins without the (mostly) good acting of the first original series.

Demdike@Cult Labs 5th February 2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 319221)
You should look at WHO likes it. Mostly 12-17 year olds who wouldn't know talent if it beat them across the face with it's genitals. :rolleyes:

Ha, ha you're in that category. :tongue1:

Seriously though, its very unlikely i'll ever see it. :nod:

Hawkmonger 5th February 2013 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 319224)
Ha, ha you're in that category. :tongue1:

Seriously though, its very unlikely i'll ever see it. :nod:

12-17? Just about, but i'm in it's sister group. People who can tell when effert was put into a production.:lol:

Metallicbomb 5th February 2013 06:45 PM

I had a Vampire film marathon last night
Watched
Fright Night
The Lost Boys
Near Dark
Innocent Blood
I enjoyed all 4 had never seen Innocent Blood
Before very impressed especially enjoyed all
The cameos in it (Dario Argento:lol:Sam Raimi & Tom Savini amongst others.)

Demdike@Cult Labs 5th February 2013 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metallicbomb (Post 319321)
I had a Vampire film marathon last night
Watched
Fright Night
The Lost Boys
Near Dark
Innocent Blood
I enjoyed all 4 had never seen Innocent Blood
Before very impressed especially enjoyed all
The cameos in it (Dario Argento:lol:Sam Raimi & Tom Savini amongst others.)

Which version of Innocent Blood have you got?

Handyman Joe 5th February 2013 07:01 PM

Things To Come - As a screenwriter H G Wells was a fantastic novelist. For all its groundbreaking ideas and an excellent first 20 mins this film feels dramatically inert to me, especially in its flabby midsection where I lost track of the characters and nearly fell asleep. Things perk up a bit when the sci fi kicks in and the future city rises (or rather descends) but IMO the comparable Metropolis blows this out of the water - Lang was a visionary filmmaking genius, there's no such spark here.

mercury 5th February 2013 07:28 PM

Slugs......well it's a film about er.... killer slugs:)
Hugo......I enjoyed this film very much. I think it was because I am fascinated by the workings of mechanical watches which is the main theme of the film...Oops, just let my geek side out:o

trebor8273 5th February 2013 08:15 PM

Just finished paranorman which I enjoyed a lot more than I thought I would, loved the little refences to other movies, about to watch black Sunday now.

Slippery Jack 5th February 2013 08:18 PM

Tower Block
Good fun, like a council estate Larry Cohen. Didn’t pull its punches, and the action was varied enough to last the running time without getting dull. Most of the characters, while mostly stock types, had just enough character shading to make you care about their fates, and Sheridan Smith and Jack O’Connell were both very impressive in the lead roles. Maybe the final killer reveal was a little disappointing, but it wasn’t a major issue for me. Fine Brit thriller.

Hitchcock
I really struggled with this. There’s just no story! Famous director has a little trouble getting his film financed, but does, and the shoot goes by without any major incident. Director thinks his wife might be having an affair, but turns out she isn’t. Film does surprisingly well at the box office. The End!
Not helped by the fact that Tony Hopkins’ awkward Hitchcock performance is blown out of the water by the vastly superior Toby Jones in The Girl. While that film presented a fascinating character study/assassination, this much fluffier film is content to present superficial pleasures, ticking off imdb trivia such as the censor not allowing Hitch to film a toilet. I did enjoy the bookending scenes, with the director talking to camera a la Alfred Hitchcock Presents. I wanted more of that inventive playfulness, though the numerous fantasy sequences with Hitch chatting with Ed Gein all fall flat. Not good.

I, Anna
I’ll watch anything with Charlotte Rampling, and though I’d read mixed-to-poor reviews, I found it a pretty decent drama. It all looks gorgeous, the director/cinematographer have a real eye for great looking shots. The depressing grey London Southbank is filmed beautifully. I’ve always had a problem with Gabriel Byrne as a leading man, but he’s ok here, though his gruff detective is as clichéd as they come. Rampling is superb as ever, another of her ‘enigmatic older woman’ performances, and easily holds the film together. Worth a watch.

fuzzymctiger 5th February 2013 08:20 PM

Quote:

Funny, it's inspired by a very famous open house party that happened in my state in Australia.

If anyone's interested, the kids name was Corey Worthington.

Metallicbomb 5th February 2013 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 319325)
Which version of Innocent Blood have you got?

Innocent Blood (Bloody Marie) Uncut & Unrated
£22 Of Amazon

Metallicbomb 5th February 2013 11:26 PM

Have Just Watched
Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte
&
The Man Who Haunted Himself:pop2:
Is anyone else a fan of these I loved them both
The Man Who Haunted Himself is crying out for a UK release
I had to get the Dutch import for £15 off Amazon:doh: