Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

nekromantik 6th February 2013 07:03 AM

Project X was interesting to say the lease....and not in the good way!
I did not find it vile, just meh. Dont really have a opinion on it.

Slippery Jack - Glad someone else enjoyed Tower Block! When I first saw the trailer last year I was like this will be bad but was presently surprised! Plus I am a O Connell fan! ha ha
Not that im into the "thug" stereotype!

Slippery Jack 6th February 2013 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 319409)
Slippery Jack - Glad someone else enjoyed Tower Block! When I first saw the trailer last year I was like this will be bad but was presently surprised! Plus I am a O Connell fan! ha ha
Not that im into the "thug" stereotype!

Yeah he does 'thug' very well :lol: If a new Clockwork Orange adaptation were to happen, he'd be a top Alex :nod: . . .

Hawkmonger 6th February 2013 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger (Post 319344)
Funny, it's inspired by a very famous open house party that happened in my state in Australia.

If anyone's interested, the kids name was Corey Worthington.

Doesn't negate from the fact that everyone in the film is a law breaker (all the characters are clearly underage, awkward when sex scenes are involved) and a vile turd, beating and attempting to murder anyone who dissrupts the party (neighbour, father of two. How nice thse little shits are to kill a loving father who's concerned to expose his children to there act's of putridity). This may well be the worst film i've seen in my life now I come to think about it.

fuzzymctiger 6th February 2013 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 319412)
Doesn't negate from the fact that everyone in the film is a law breaker (all the characters are clearly underage, awkward when sex scenes are involved) and a vile turd, beating and attempting to murder anyone who dissrupts the party (neighbour, father of two. How nice thse little shits are to kill a loving father who's concerned to expose his children to there act's of putridity). This may well be the worst film i've seen in my life now I come to think about it.

Well I haven't seen it, but the party they based it off didn't get that nuts.

Just a destroyed house, a couple of ransacked front yards, a lot of drunk people, and a dickhead becoming famous because of a news interview.

Baseball Fury 6th February 2013 09:10 AM

Quote:

I don't remember anybody getting beaten to death?

You do seem to get an your moral high horse a lot, whilst being a "lawbreaker" yourself, and purchasing 18 rated films whilst underage.

fuzzymctiger 6th February 2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseball Fury (Post 319425)

You do seem to get an your moral high horse a lot, whilst being a "lawbreaker" yourself, and purchasing 18 rated films whilst underage.

OH SNAP! :cool:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 6th February 2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

I watched it a month or so ago (recorded from Sky Movies) and didn't think it was anywhere near as bad as you found it to be. Not everyone in the film is a lawbreaker as some of those who turned up at the party were over 21 so were legal to drink and engage in consensual sex.

Of the three main characters, I found one of them (I can't remember his name) to be completely obnoxious, irritating and a generally horrible human being. However, when the shit really hits the fan, I don't remember anyone at the party killing anyone – it was all down to the psychotic neighbour with a flamethrower!

Demoncrat 6th February 2013 10:32 AM

come on girls........I watched ZFE for the first time when I was 14.....sound familiar??

Ahem, bit later than expected, but here's the rest of that review....

Paranorman. EEEK!! Is this meant to be a kids film??? Because it flipping terrified me in parts. (the tree). Cough cough. Will be watching this again, along with.....

Frankenweenie. More or less the story of a boy and his dog (and a love of Kenneth Strickland), I cried at the end (as usual), some stunning use of composition and a great wee turn from Martin Landau, what more could you ask from a film.

Eldorado (2013). Well, this is the life of a genre film fan. basically a queasy mishmash of 2000 Maniacs & The Blues Brothers, a cast of stalwarts (and Rik Mayall) chew the scenery and Bill Moseley sings (!!!!:rockon:) If this doesn't intrigue, c'est la vie, I'm not here to tell you what to think.;)

Berberian Sound Studio. Toby Jones (staid englishman) goes to work for hotheaded foreign types. hilarity ensues. Or was it a Burroughsian nightmare brought on by fear of sheds?? As puzzling as you want to make it, this may turn out to be my FILM of the year. And to prove that the Osc*rs are IRRELEVANT, was this nominated for Best Sound (whatever), I doubt it.

Cat In The Brain. Can't get enough of Lucio's version of Day For Night really, though I wouldn't recommend it as an introduction to the man's work.;)

Dreams That Money Can Buy (1947). When I watch stuff like this, I remember why I love cinema....but that usually fades so I can steel myself for.......

Boss Nigger (Jack Arnold, 1975). Yet again Turdantino rips a film off wholesale, plasters a different title on it again, everyone calls him "edgy" (though not on this site, kudos folks!!) Ahem. Fred Williamson takes on William Smith whilst on a horse. SOLD!! Better soundtrack than DU as well....

Hawkmonger 6th February 2013 11:15 AM

Bit of a difference between buying a movie and beating a guy for no reason other than he asked you to turn you music down. I've never harmed anyone out of any other reason other than self diffence, so frankly the whole 'get wasted and beat the shit out of some normal guy' thing makes me sick. This film glorifies it. A horrible piece of crap.

Baseball Fury 6th February 2013 11:18 AM

Have a word with yourself, seriously. IT. IS. A. FILM.

I guess slasher films glorify murdering people too?

fuzzymctiger 6th February 2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseball Fury (Post 319463)
Have a word with yourself, seriously. IT. IS. A. FILM.

I guess slasher films glorify murdering people too?

Was just thinking that myself.

Hawk, maybe next time you watch a movie, and you think it's vile, and it makes you feel horrible, maybe just sit down and do or watch something else, and forget about it.

It's no real use getting riled up about it, because you are only going to stay upset about it, and being a forum for discussion, discussion will occur, and sometimes, it isn't exactly the best thing when it's about something that has offended someone.

So maybe, if you see a film like this, maybe just think, I'll forget about that, watch something else, and then write about that instead. :nod:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 6th February 2013 11:34 AM

This exchange between Mulder and Scully in the X-Files episode Wetwired is really good, with Mulder spot on:

Quote:

MULDER: So you think that because Patnik saw this war criminal on television, he was somehow inspired to go out and murder these people?

SCULLY: Well, recent studies have linked violence on television to violent behavior.

MULDER: Yeah, but those studies are based on the assumption that Americans are just empty vessels ready to be filled with any idea or image that's fed to them like a bunch of Pavlov dogs and go out and act on it.

SCULLY: But they believe that the causal connections are there, Mulder.

MULDER: They, studies have also shown causal connections between cow flatulence and the depletion of the ozone layer. What you're talking about is pseudo-science used to make political book.

Hawkmonger 6th February 2013 11:38 AM

Problem is that murder will always be considered a sin to society. The horros done in this film are becoming increasingly considered 'cool', being part of said generation it just break my spirit when something like this encourages such behaviour. :crazy:

keirarts 6th February 2013 11:39 AM

I actually liked project x. Sure the teens in the cast were hateful little swine but they behaved like out of control horny idiots in too deep..

teenagers basically.

fuzzymctiger 6th February 2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 319469)
This exchange between Mulder and Scully in the X-Files episode Wetwired is really good, with Mulder spot on:

This is pretty much my response to any one who try's to say that video games or movies cause people to do violent things.

They also said the same thing about rock and roll in the 50's too :rolleyes:

Hawkmonger 6th February 2013 11:43 AM

But rock and roll has never encouraged the spread of assault has it? Nor have slashers come to mention it, there have been considerable reconstructions of this film across the UK and the states. Childish behaviour, theres fact then theres fiction. If this movie had tride to sell itself as a self contained film (like it's older counterpart Animal House) and not tried to influence peoples actions I wouldn't mind, but it's deliberately produced to envoke a wave of copy cat scenarios. :rolleyes:

fuzzymctiger 6th February 2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 319475)
But rock and roll has never encouraged the spread of assault has it? Nor have slashers come to mention it, there have been considerable reconstructions of this film across the UK and the states. Childish behaviour, theres fact then theres fiction. If this movie had tride to sell itself as a self contained film (like it's older counterpart Animal House) and not tried to influence peoples actions I wouldn't mind, but it's deliberately produced to envoke a wave of copy cat scenarios. :rolleyes:

But it doesn't really ENCOURAGE it as such.
I really don't think a movie encourages such things.
The Hangover doesn't encourage you to go out and get smashed off your face.
Ferris Bueller isnt exactly encouraging you to skip school.

All these teens movies and things never exactly encourage these things. It's a piece of entertainment. I will never understand why people like the American Pie movies, as I just cringe my way thought them. But some people enjoy movies like these, and I have a couple of friends who enjoyed this movies, but if anything, it put them off having a big party rather than encouraging it.

Sure, you may get copycats, but that can happen for anything. Do you really think that David Fincher directed Fight Club thinking, "Aw man, this is going to make so many people start fight clubs, it's going to be sweet"

Hawkmonger 6th February 2013 11:51 AM

And BTW, if I had been tazzered in the neck and had access to a flame thrower i'd show those little shit's what was coming to thema also! Go all Robert Ginty on there arses!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 6th February 2013 11:51 AM

Back on topic, I watched for films yesterday:

Looper – second viewing which showed it doesn't diminish with repeated viewings and is an intelligent piece of science fiction. It was a rental from Lovefilm and I'll buy it sooner rather than later.

V/H/S – not your typical found footage film as it's compiled of vignettes rather than one narrative arc. My eyes had trouble with some of the flashing images and it was one of those films where the end credits rolled and I didn't know what to make of what I'd just seen.

Gandhi – going back to the Best Picture Oscar winners with this immense epic which fails because it feels like a hagiography, never getting to the heart of the central figure.

Platoon – after watching Gandhi I didn't feel like another three-hour film so gave Amadeus a miss and went on to Oliver Stone's multiple Oscar winner from the year after (I'll watch Amadeus later today) and it's still one of the best films set in the Vietnam War – rather than after – along with Apocalypse Now, The Deer Hunter and Full Metal Jacket.

fuzzymctiger 6th February 2013 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 319479)
And BTW, if I had been tazzered in the neck and had access to a flame thrower i'd show those little shit's what was coming to thema also! Go all Robert Ginty on there arses!

Alrighty, so the movie is encouraging you to go out and burn youths?

:rolleyes:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 6th February 2013 11:59 AM

A decade or so ago in Darlington, one of the lads at the sixth form college told people he was having a party as his parents were away and the house was completely trashed, with a sofa being thrown through the front window and mess everywhere. It made the front page of a couple of local newspapers and the local news. It wasn't on the scale of the one in Australia, but still cost his parents a great deal of money.

Delirium 6th February 2013 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 319188)
Did I mention I was practicaly forced to watch Project X last night? What a vile, putrid, moraly incompetant, unfunny mean spirited, crude, malicious and down right nasty piece of dog shite it is. Twilight Breaking Bad part shitstorm is no longer the worst movie of 2012 as I see it. This vulger stain on the face of film making is an insult to anyone inteligences. As a house party film, it's dull, as a reflection of humantiy I dispair. :censored:

Up next, folks. Hawkmonger's review of Movie 43.

fuzzymctiger 6th February 2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 319483)
A decade or so ago in Darlington, one of the lads at the sixth form college told people he was having a party as his parents were away and the house was completely trashed, with a sofa being thrown through the front window and mess everywhere. It made the front page of a couple of local newspapers and the local news. It wasn't on the scale of the one in Australia, but still cost his parents a great deal of money.

Haha now that I think about it, I think I saw Corey Worthington wiping car windshields at an intersection coming home from sport once :pound:

Hawkmonger 6th February 2013 12:07 PM

I see i'm not going to win anyone over. :lol:
Sometimes a film comes along that is just so awful I feel the need to tell people to avoid it. Ken Park, now Project X. Hopefully I can go longer without watching such a dire film again.:rolleyes:
Oh well, Hitchcok on friday. Should enjoy that, can't say i'll be seeing Movie 43 tbh.:pound:

Justin101 6th February 2013 12:17 PM

I'm no prude myself but I'm with Hawky on this one Project X made me want to kill myself :lol: It was utterly vile.

fuzzymctiger 6th February 2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 319490)
I'm no prude myself but I'm with Hawky on this one Project X made me want to kill myself :lol: It was utterly vile.

Haha, I actually want to see it now.

It'll be one of those films a mate forces me to watch at some point I can just tell.

First The Hangover, then American Pie, then Harold & Kumar. What next?

(Excelt Haold and Kumar was good)

Justin101 6th February 2013 12:23 PM

I think the main difference is this particular film isn't played out like a comedy - think Superbad meets Skins but without the jokes.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 6th February 2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 319494)
I think the main difference is this particular film isn't played out like a comedy - think Superbad meets Skins but without the jokes.

As it wasn't real, I thought it was pretty funny when you had the whole neighbourhood in uproar and someone so wound up he was blowing up cars and burning down everything in sight with a flamethrower.

Of course, if it was a documentary, I'd have very different feelings about the party and the fallout. As it was, it was a case of repeating 'It's only a film. It's only a film. It's only a film…'.

Justin101 6th February 2013 12:53 PM

:D I'm totally with you on that point - I just didn't like it!

g053584398 6th February 2013 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 319470)
Problem is that murder will always be considered a sin to society. The horros done in this film are becoming increasingly considered 'cool', being part of said generation it just break my spirit when something like this encourages such behaviour. :crazy:

I share your concerns about the state of society in one sense, although you have to be careful when drawing conclusions because the media expands and distorts reality so that it fits a specific agenda.

The causes of violence and criminal behaviour in our society differ on a case to case basis, although generally you would find that bad parenting and a lack of social and moral guidance, poverty, peer pressure, mental health problems or revenge would probably account for much of it.

I don't believe that anyone watching an act of murder, for example, in a film would go out and commit such a crime. The willingness to do so would have to be already present within the mind of an individual, for some reason, before that would happen. Films are not dangerous, but some people most certainly are.

antmumford 6th February 2013 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g053584398 (Post 319506)
I share your concerns about the state of society in one sense, although you have to be careful when drawing conclusions because the media expands and distorts reality so that it fits a specific agenda.

The causes of violence and criminal behaviour in our society differ on a case to case basis, although generally you would find that bad parenting and a lack of social and moral guidance, poverty, peer pressure, mental health problems or revenge would probably account for much of it.

I don't believe that anyone watching an act of murder, for example, in a film would go out and commit such a crime. The willingness to do so would have to be already present within the mind of an individual, for some reason, before that would happen. Films are not dangerous, but some people most certainly are.

That is the most accurate description I've read of the whole "films influence people" discussion. Well put my friend, well put

keirarts 6th February 2013 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 319483)

I suspect these things are a mixture of teenage stupidty ( I had a few parties that got out of hand as a teenager in the late 90's lots of britpop and cheap larger) and social networking that encourages these things to get way out of hand. There have been a few of these mental parties before project x hit the shelves, I really dont belive its all that films fault when these things happen.

Nemesis 6th February 2013 02:50 PM

The Woodsman and the Rain

It's a very nice film - it's a Japanese drama with a few comic touches. A woodcutter is roped into helping out with a zombie movie being made near where he works. He slowly connects with the director, who has absolutely no confidence at the beginning - and you see how this friendship brings out the best in both of them. Highly recommended.

Rik 6th February 2013 03:24 PM

My word, that was a load of pointless bullshit to read through :lol:
Anyway, I watched The Raid this afternoon, cracking film with some of the best choreographed fight scenes I've ever seen in a film and pretty much non stop action from the opening scene, fantastic.
Got my eldest boy at home all day with me tomorrow suffering with tonsillitis, so we've got Hotel Transylvania and Pirates lined up to watch

Susan Foreman 6th February 2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 319449)
come on girls........I watched ZFE for the first time when I was 14.....sound familiar??

You call?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseball Fury (Post 319425)

Judas Priest - Breaking The Law - YouTube

Justin101 6th February 2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 319579)

Reminds me of Beavis and Butthead so much this song!

Huhhh huh Judas Priest, like huhh huh Rock!

Yeaaahhhhh! Huerhh Huhh huh :cool:

pedromonkey 6th February 2013 05:15 PM

I hated PROJECT X with a passion, so much so that i had to write my thoughts down...Here's my review for this piece of :censored:

PROJECT X (2012) Dir: Nima Nourizedah ~ Cine-Apocalypse

Demoncrat 6th February 2013 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 319618)
I hated PROJECT X with a passion, so much so that i had to write my thoughts down...Here's my review for this piece of :censored:

PROJECT X (2012) Dir: Nima Nourizedah ~ Cine-Apocalypse

Well put, the trailer made me sigh and shake my head. Over The Edge...now THERE was a film.....;)

Invid Ninja 6th February 2013 05:27 PM

I'm honestly surprised people are remembering Project X at all. Like most modern comedies, it just looks near identical to every other film aimed at my age group (20 somethings) which I avoid whenever possible.

Justin101 6th February 2013 05:38 PM

I saw this on FaceBook today and thought it was interesting, I think I agree with most of it - I'm assuming 'Batman' is referring to the 80's/90's incarnation and not Nolan.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/IwM8PIQ02...to1_r1_500.jpg