Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179471Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th September 2019, 11:36 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Just watched "Appleseed" (2004). Great visuals with CG animation and "cell shading" which is fantastic to watch after the initial surprise to the eyeballs. Stunning action sequences and the storyline is cool but it tends to get a bit "wordy" at times, a fault with quite a few Anime Action films.

I loved it, it's a visual feast and deserves it's score of 28/19!

one of these days I'll work out what the damn all those scores mean, I really don't get numbers, especially on Thursdays!

Monster Magnet
Old 19th September 2019, 10:22 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Mummy's Hand. 1940.

A muummy is awakened to destroy the invaders of a Egyptian princess.

This is the start of the Universal remake and quadrilogy of movies made in the 40s. This had its moments of horror and comedy moments from Dick Foran and Wallace Ford as the archeologyist who seek the Tomb. Eduardo Ciannelli plays the High Priest but also has a sinister look about him and Peggy Moran plays the heroine in this. The film does have its slow and stop moments and may seem to drag on but certainly still worth watching but don't expect special effects just great costumes and gothic light to make it more horror.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The-Mummys-Hand-1940-3.jpg (80.7 KB, 3 views)
Old 19th September 2019, 07:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Mummy's Tomb. 1942

Thirty years after after wakening Kharis, a high priest revives the mummy in order to seek revenge on those who distrupted the tomb.

Watchable decent sequel to The Mummy's hand this time Lon Chaney Jr plays the mummy Kharis, Dick Foran returns and spends half the movie telling his story on how he found the tomb. This is a bit more serious B movie with no comedy element to it and more darker tone added even Lon Chaney jr looks more menacing as the mummy Kharis. The running time is only 61 minutes would be better if it was a bit longer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mummys-Tomb-The_main.jpg (40.3 KB, 4 views)
Old 19th September 2019, 07:41 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The entire population of a small town are dead apart from an old man and a baby, a group of scientist are sent to a secret facility along with the survivors, the figure out what happened , it soon learned that a dangerous extra terrestrial bacteria was responsible and could treating all life on earth. Quite slow moving with next to no action and comes of more like a documentary at times, but still found it engrossing as the scientists investigate what happened. 7.4/10

Now watching Capricorn one.

Last edited by trebor8273; 19th September 2019 at 08:01 PM.
Old 19th September 2019, 08:06 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Returning to Thunderball for a jot.
It was easily the most crazed thing I have seen passed off as popular entertainment since I witnessed that there Mummy with Cruise

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 19th September 2019, 08:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Love TAS t. Annual rewatch for me here.

Catch-22 (1970, Mike Nichols)

All star satire set in WWII. I always cry with laughter at points reading Heller's novel, but have never truly loved this nonetheless brave attempt. It's not Arkin. His mania aptly suits the role for once. And Welles is a hoot. It will always get returned to. It's the first film that I saw someone get cut in half in ...

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 19th September 2019 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Fixed the bold tags
Old 19th September 2019, 09:29 PM
Cult Acolyte

Mean Girls. A teenage girl who's been home-schooled in Africa since she was a child is forced to attend high school for the first time when her parents return to the US - and finds it a much fiercer jungle than the one she left behind. Lindsay Lohan and Rachel McAdams star in this wickedly funny teen comedy that has to be one of the best comedies of the 2000s. Still very funny.
Old 20th September 2019, 06:23 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Mummy's Ghost 1944.

An Egyptian High Priest travels to America to reclaim the body of the princess and her bodyguard unaware of the consequences.

Lon Chaney jr reprises his role as the Mummy Kharis along side John Carradine as the new high priest who wants to resurrect Kharis and the princess. This has some mild little humour but blends in with the horror genre. I wouldn't say this installment is the best as it seems to be done quickly and on a cheap budget but the ending is different from the previous films.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mummy-main-2.jpg (64.0 KB, 4 views)
Old 20th September 2019, 08:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Mummy's Curse 1944.

During a drainage project at the Louisiana bayou swamp, Kharis the Mummy is awoken and Princess Ananka.

This would have been a great end to the Mummy films but seemed like it was all rushed and more flashbacks from what may be from the Boris Korloff movie than its previous installments. The plot isn't the best but has its good moments especially with the rise of Ananka resurrection scene, and Chaney's movements seem limited from the last two films, decent to watch but don't expect too much.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mummys-Curse_main-530x350.jpg (43.4 KB, 8 views)
Old 20th September 2019, 09:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Fast & Furious Present Hobbes & Shaw

Which doesn't sadly feature a high kicking tiger
More like Homo Erectus: The Movie . Where two grown men struggle with their intense attraction to each other, well the way they preen, there's not a lot of subtext
Without conflict, there is no action flick. Fear not, as tis crammmmmed. SBU cubed. I still don't 'get' Kevin Hart. C'est la vie.

[B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!