Cult Labs Radio Contributor

My booby scenes were tingling so i had to pop in

gorilla-specialty-anti-slip-tape-60030-64_1000.jpg
Dave Boy and bleakshaun like this.
Old 26th September 2019, 06:45 PM
Cult Acolyte

the-house-on-sorority-row-poster.jpg
THE HOUSE ON SORORITY ROW (1983)

Pretty decent slasher. I found the scenes where the girl is searching the attic quite creepy with a good music score.
Also if you are not expecting it, the final scenes in the attic with the wind up jack in the box and what comes after are great.
Old 26th September 2019, 11:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Charlie Says

A cheap holiday in other peoples misery. Songs even. No mention of Shorty Shea either. Creepy crawl away ....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 27th September 2019, 03:08 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Ready or Not

The film begins with a flashback in which two masked young boys see a man being killed with longbows. Events then move forward 30 years to when a couple, Alex Le Domas and Grace, are getting married in the grounds of the mansion belonging to Alex’s wealthy family. You can tell by Alex’s body language that he is uncomfortable to be around his family members and in the mansion, but Grace is generally happy to be having a ‘dream wedding’, only being a little embarrassed about her smoking with Alex’s mother, lying about being a smoker when the older woman is lighting up.

After the wedding, it is explained that they are going to play a game that night and it could be checkers, old maid, or something else. Everyone sits around a fairly ornate table and a little more background to the history of this tradition is provided: Alex’s great, great-grandfather made a deal with a Mr Le Ball in which he would help the Le Domas family become rich in return for this tradition where everyone who joins the family must play a game when the clock strikes midnight on the wedding night. When Grace pulls a card from the box which reads ‘hide and seek’ some people round the table look a little surprised and uncomfortable.

This surprise and discomfort is not unfounded because once Grace has gone off to hide with a head start with the other family members counting to 100, they began pulling antique weaponry from the walls with the clear intention to hunt her down and kill her.

The tone of the film is established at this point when unexpected deaths begin to happen with an amount of gore and violence which is just on the right side of gratuitous, and played for laughs with the darkest of dark humour involving accidental deaths, an unhelpful telephone operator and a homicidal butler.

The characters are great and entirely plausible when you have a large and obscenely wealthy family, ranging from the alcoholic brother to the bloodthirsty elderly aunt and the accident-prone sister, who is also terrible at keeping her cocaine use a secret. It is written with dark humour that wouldn’t have been out of place in The League of Gentlemen and directed with a real sense of flair and energy.

I don’t really want to say any more so as not to spoil this for anyone (there are a surprising number of spoilers in the trailer), but will say that it is a highly enjoyable, smart and gruesome movie which you can watch while relaxing with some popcorn and/or a drink. I can understand why it received a lot of critical praise and people including Guillermo del Toro and Stephen King have sung its praises.

Old 27th September 2019, 03:12 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Nice one, Nos.

I read a review in Empire the other day and their reviewer said it was also very good.

Will definitely blind buy it on disc.
Old 27th September 2019, 03:21 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Nice one, Nos.

I read a review in Empire the other day and their reviewer said it was also very good.

Will definitely blind buy it on disc.
It's one I would happily see again at the cinema and will probably buy from HMV when it's released for home viewing.

I didn't mention the wonderful setting and excellent set decoration and production design, which managed to make it look like a period drama and contemporary horror at the same time. Because it takes place in an old mansion with antique weaponry and there are wealthy family members and the staff (a few mates and Butler), it's probably what would happen if people went on a killing spree in Downton Abbey!
Old 27th September 2019, 03:55 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
It's one I would happily see again at the cinema and will probably buy from HMV when it's released for home viewing.

I didn't mention the wonderful setting and excellent set decoration and production design, which managed to make it look like a period drama and contemporary horror at the same time. Because it takes place in an old mansion with antique weaponry and there are wealthy family members and the staff (a few mates and Butler), it's probably what would happen if people went on a killing spree in Downton Abbey!
Sold!
Old 27th September 2019, 09:20 PM
Cult Acolyte

End of Days. Big Arnie takes on his biggest opponent yet - Satan himself! Arnie's an ex-cop, embittered following the murder of his own family, who becomes embroiled in a conspiracy surrounding an innocent young woman who has been chosen to bear the Devil's child and bring about the end of the world... Gabriel Byrne, Kevin Pollak and The Mentalist's Robin Tunney co-star in this late 90s action/horror hybrid. As with a few others from this time, including Con Air and Arnie's Eraser, I wasn't a massive fan of this at the time but thoroughly enjoy it now. Great ludicrous OTT fun.
Old 27th September 2019, 10:12 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
End of Days. Big Arnie takes on his biggest opponent yet - Satan himself! Arnie's an ex-cop, embittered following the murder of his own family, who becomes embroiled in a conspiracy surrounding an innocent young woman who has been chosen to bear the Devil's child and bring about the end of the world... Gabriel Byrne, Kevin Pollak and The Mentalist's Robin Tunney co-star in this late 90s action/horror hybrid. As with a few others from this time, including Con Air and Arnie's Eraser, I wasn't a massive fan of this at the time but thoroughly enjoy it now. Great ludicrous OTT fun.
End-less fun. Arnie pissed. Gaaaabriel Byrne. Rewatch!!!
trebor8273 and iank like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 27th September 2019, 10:57 PM
Cult Master

rambo-last-blood-banner.jpg

John Rambo is back on the ranch where he was born just trying to live out his days with his horses and his adopted family. When his niece goes to Mexico to find her birth father she gets kidnapped and forced into prostitution. Soon uncle John comes to town and shit starts to hit the fan but at first is a wind of shit that later turns into a shitnado.

Last Blood is a great throw back to no holds barred action its just straight up over the top gore that would fit perfectly into any horror. Stallone is not messing about here he's straight in no kissing head explode faces are smashed in ripped off punched off shot off arms legs and collar bones are tore off of bodies this is amazing and it was so over the top i couldn't stop laughing in the cinema. It may sound stupid and over the top but you can feel Rambos rage and emotion while this is going on and the actions he takes you can understand because of the pain his loved one has been put through.

Hell F***ing Yeah

8/10

Like this? Share it using the links below!