Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179046Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th October 2019, 09:12 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
The Car. When a mysterious black car begins mowing people down in a small, isolated desert town, the local police understandably assume they're dealing with a madman. But they soon find out it may be something far worse, for not only is the car seemingly indestructible, but it also doesn't even have a driver... James Brolin stars in this late 70s horror flick that manages to make something effective and eerie out of a silly premise just through sheer conviction and atmosphere.
That horn still freaks me out.
Rewatch!!!
troggi and iank like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 21st October 2019, 10:59 PM
Cult Acolyte

Primal Fear. A hotshot defense attorney defends a seemingly harmless teenage alter boy accused of the brutal murder of Chicago's Archbishop. But nothing and no one - including the victim - are everything they appear. Richard Gere and Edward Norton lead a great cast (including Frasier's John Mahoney, Newsradio's Maura Tierney, Frances Sternhagen, Terry O'Quinn, Laura Linney) in this still very solid and entertaining mid-90s courtroom drama/thriller. Thoroughly enjoyable.
Old 22nd October 2019, 09:40 PM
Active Cultist

After two weeks of holiday, it's nice to come back home and find some nice packages in the mailbox, one of them was the boxset of Sammo Hung, you cannot get wrong with this movie - Action non stop, classic HK humour, non sense characters, looking forward to watch the other two.

P.s. Love this Halloween theme
Old 22nd October 2019, 10:17 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Hellboy (2019 remake)

Worst. Film. Ever.

I am a huge Hellboy fan (both the comics & the 2 GDT movies), and this was a joke. They managed to shoehorn in some of the best stuff from the comics (Baba Yaga, HB being King of england, the Warthog guy!) and ruin it! Overlong, soulless and forced, it shows you the difference between people who passionately care about story & character (GDT et al) andpeople who want to make money.

Read the comics or watch the REAL HB movies, but don't waste your time with this Resident Evil-a-like mess.

0/10
Old 23rd October 2019, 05:24 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Wild At Heart (1990, David Lynch)

A road movie where the map keeps changing. Two lovestruck fools head out on the highway to escape more than their problems. Littered with amoral monsters, the path isn't always that clearcut. But love conquers all ... ?

Still the weakest of his films for me. Too many folk being weird for weirds sake imho. But I'll take this ride again ....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 23rd October 2019, 10:41 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
Hellboy (2019 remake)

Worst. Film. Ever.

I am a huge Hellboy fan (both the comics & the 2 GDT movies), and this was a joke. They managed to shoehorn in some of the best stuff from the comics (Baba Yaga, HB being King of england, the Warthog guy!) and ruin it! Overlong, soulless and forced, it shows you the difference between people who passionately care about story & character (GDT et al) andpeople who want to make money.

Read the comics or watch the REAL HB movies, but don't waste your time with this Resident Evil-a-like mess.

0/10
I'm with you, up to a point. The film isn't the "Worst. Film. Ever." I've watched quite a few contenders for that award ("Catwoman" any one?) BUT it does come close. It does get the award for the "biggest vehicle for 'Eastenders' actors" and that will probably save those actors from being a drain on the NHS for anti-depressants.

Anyone wanting to make a film from a well-loved book or comic should really respect the source material or they will ALWAYS p*ss off the fans and lose viewers. Look at "Green Lantern," "Catwoman" (sorry to labour a point), the Joel Silver "Batman" films, I could probably go on but I'm bored now...

Monster Magnet
Old 23rd October 2019, 11:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

North v south

Despite fact quite few well known actors the acting is a bit below par,
Dialogue could have been improved ,
Tbh the whole film could have better, it just fails to deliver or grab any real Interest .
Don't really bother .

Oh the story

People are calling it a modern Romeo and Juliet, 2 young lovers are from the opposite side try to keep their romance quiet because a truce between the rival gangs fell apart when one of them kills a bloke who just minding his own business unaware he was with his daughter who was in the little girls room at the time.
Old 23rd October 2019, 11:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
North v south

Despite fact quite few well known actors the acting is a bit below par,
Dialogue could have been improved ,
Tbh the whole film could have better, it just fails to deliver or grab any real Interest .
Don't really bother .

Oh the story

People are calling it a modern Romeo and Julie because 2 young lovers are from the opposite side, and they have to keep their romance quiet A truce between the rival gangs fell apart when one of them kills a bloke who just minding his own business unaware he was with his daughter who was in the little girls room at the time.
Did you manage to watch it all the way through? I switched it off 30 odd mins into it when I found it on Netflix,
troggi likes this.
Old 24th October 2019, 12:03 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Did you manage to watch it all the way through? I switched it off 30 odd mins into it when I found it on Netflix,
Was on Netflix I watched it, I got about half way through and was dozing on and off so just left it playing and catching bits here and there, also some films can get away with constant £uck, wank c#nt and bollocks etc and other films can't and IMO this film didn't .
troggi and MrBarlow like this.
Old 24th October 2019, 05:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Crow

RIP.
Rock singer returns from the grave to revenge an almighty wrong??
That old warhorse.
Tied with the Sleepy Hollow for most chiaroscuro colour film, this is still a lot of fun, and boy has it been "influential" cough.
Lee owns the screen when he's there. I've never bothered with any of the others.

[B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!