Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179037Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th October 2019, 09:40 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Dredd. My third viewing of this i think, but first one for a few years. Karl Urban is brilliant as Judge Dredd of Mega City 1. He takes out rookie Judge Anderson for a trial 24 hours to see if she makes the grade after she fails her exam by a 'few percentiles'. She's given an extra chance because she's a psychic and Dredd is told to throw her in the deep end. Well, Anderson chooses a crime scene - Peach Trees mega block. Big mistake as a drug war is going on and Ma-Ma (Lena Headey) is pushing a new drug on the unsuspecting city.

Then Dredd and Anderson get there and all hell breaks loose. Great adaptation of the spirit of the comic strip, if not too deep on the politics, and both leads, as well as Headey are good. One of the best lines of the film come at the end after the two judges walk away from the liberated building where possibly hundreds have died. Dredd's superior asks him what happened and he just deadpans - "Drugs bust."

Spookily similar in both story and execution to another film released in 2012 - The Raid, which i would also recommend.
Old 26th October 2019, 11:51 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
Dredd. My third viewing of this i think, but first one for a few years. Karl Urban is brilliant as Judge Dredd of Mega City 1. He takes out rookie Judge Anderson for a trial 24 hours to see if she makes the grade after she fails her exam by a 'few percentiles'. She's given an extra chance because she's a psychic and Dredd is told to throw her in the deep end. Well, Anderson chooses a crime scene - Peach Trees mega block. Big mistake as a drug war is going on and Ma-Ma (Lena Headey) is pushing a new drug on the unsuspecting city.

Then Dredd and Anderson get there and all hell breaks loose. Great adaptation of the spirit of the comic strip, if not too deep on the politics, and both leads, as well as Headey are good. One of the best lines of the film come at the end after the two judges walk away from the liberated building where possibly hundreds have died. Dredd's superior asks him what happened and he just deadpans - "Drugs bust."

Spookily similar in both story and execution to another film released in 2012 - The Raid, which i would also recommend.
Raid a great film, I went to see raid 2 at the cinema, no news on the 3 rd yet of when its suppose to be released .
Deadite likes this.
Old 27th October 2019, 09:18 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

In Fabric (Peter Strickland)

WHAT did I just watch? Slightly self indulgent , bewildering, funny, silly and somewhat disturbing. Yet again, the sound design is of equal importance to the visual element. Ahem. Rewatch soon. In a landscape filled with grave robbers, at least he has tried to produce something unique. Has he succeeded??
YOU decide. I've just got to nip down the shops me ...
Recommended

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 27th October 2019, 09:41 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Crawl (Alexandre Aja)

Stoooopid time. I don't think it would have been a lot of fun making it either. Trapped by circumstance under your own house?? In a horrendous storm??? With guests?????
Ahem. Haute Tension seems far away from here tbh .....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 27th October 2019, 10:56 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Having watched Joker at the cinema (first film in years that actually deserves all the praise), and whenever people ask me to describe it I've told them "Taxi Driver, but with The Joker instead of Travis Bickle",I thought I'd revisit Scorcesse's best film.

What can be said about Taxi Driver that hasn't been said already? Masterpiece is an understatement, gritty, real, complex, truthful study of society creating a man. I watch it & see even more of the references in Joker, I see a character study of the creation of a hero, socially awkward but morally sound, surrounded by $hit but still being a good person.
Endlessly watchable, every scene a classic (personal fave is Scorcesse in back of the cab!), if you haven't seen it, just please seek it out!

10/10
Old 28th October 2019, 09:23 PM
Cult Acolyte

Hot Fuzz. A London supercop whose zeal is showing up his superiors is "promoted" to a sleepy country village where nothing ever happens - until he begins to suspect a murder conspiracy around a spate of so-called "accidents". Simon Pegg and Nick Frost star in this wildly entertaining genre fusion of comedy, thriller, horror and action movie that is still an absolute blast from start to finish.
Old 28th October 2019, 11:00 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Another Wolfcop

I needn't have worried. It's just as entertaining as the first. Evil types have created a liquid nemesis. It's up to our furry felon snatcher (and friends) to quench that thirst. Lawdy etc.

[B]
Old 30th October 2019, 08:27 AM
Cult Acolyte

Ready Or Not. A young woman marrying into a wealthy family discovers that the rich really are different when, on her wedding night, her new family invite her to play a game of Hide and Seek - a game she's not expected to survive. Adam Brody and Andie MacDowell co-star in this darkly comic 2019 horror flick that's a thoroughly wicked and thoroughly entertaining ride.
Old 30th October 2019, 06:35 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Showed a mate Lords Of Chaos as he wanted to see it. Factual inaccuracies aside, it's still quite hard to watch those deaths imho.

[B]
Old 30th October 2019, 07:01 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Showed a mate Lords Of Chaos as he wanted to see it. Factual inaccuracies aside, it's still quite hard to watch those deaths imho.
That Varg Vikernes writes thinly veiled white supremecy bloody rolepaying games now. I know i had heard his name a while back.

Rik and bleakshaun like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!