Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd November 2019, 08:36 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Ghosthouse 1988.

A ham radio operator discovers a voice pleading for help and decides to look into it, the signal leads him to a abandoned house where grizzly murders took place regarding a young girl and a creepy looking doll.

Another Filmirage movie directed by Humphrey Humbert (Umberto Lenzi) this is a ghost story meets haunted house with murder. The story line was decent but the acting wasn't that great even that it looks dubbed. It's decent enough to pass time and a lot better than the movie Witchery that came out after this film.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 31560-ghosthouse-0-230-0-345-crop.jpg (34.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 2nd November 2019, 09:50 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
I love all five Death Wish films so entertaining.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
A minor Halloween round-up;

NIGHTWISH – A ‘one that got away’ type film from the late eighties – I say that because it’s never been around that much, I mean I’d sort of heard of it before Unearthed put it out on Blu-ray recently, but I’d certainly never clapped eyes. Being from the late eighties, it has that stone-washed-jeans-under-desert-skies look to it, a kind of ad-style slickness even though it’s low budget. That dollar deficit betrays itself in some pleasantly rickety visual effects i.e badly animated ectoplasmic worms, but we also get some good, authentically gloopy stuff from KNB back in their heyday. There’s not really enough of that particular good stuff, but it is worth sitting around for because even the draggy bits are elevated by a certain hokeyness / weirdness – it’s not quite ‘Hellgate’ bizarre, but it is loaded with things going on that feel like they’ve accidentally walked in from other adjacent B-flicks and have decided to stick around to see if it works. It doesn’t, really, but there’s enjoyment to be had in the lop-sidedness of a constant clash between random bugs, cannibalism, finger-hacking and an unreasonable amount of wandering around endlessly with psychic giger-counters. It’s an alternate reality / dream-within-a-dream type set-up, somewhere between ‘Nightmare on Elm Street 3’, ‘Flatliners’ and ‘The Cell’ (though it predates the latter two), in which some dream researchers experiment on themselves to find out what consciousness is like at the moment of death (or something). I liked it.

DHOGS – A sort of meta-movie about some people in a cinema watching a flick about a man abducting a woman and tangling with a murderer before a kid starts messing around with a computer and controlling characters in the movie that he happens to be part of (I think). It’s definitely a comment on media consumption, societal power relationships and representations of violence, but beyond that I can’t tell you. Well made and interesting, but if you just want tits and ketchup I doubt you’ll be that happy.

MANHATTAN BABY – I dunno, I just really like this moronic, senseless film. It’s borderline genius, the way it’s so portentous and yet so flimsy – how did he get away with things like this? It’s really just a load of steals from bigger, better flicks like ‘Poltergeist’ rammed together with total narrative carelessness – “Oh, let’s have some lasers coming out of someone’s eyes in this bit, then maybe someone can get lost behind a mirror or something and come out later as if nothing’s happened” – but maximum cheap style. As always with Fulci, maybe it’s all about those obsessive little trademarks, those close ups of the eyes, the whole look of the thing, the ways the music works. And, of course, the pre-eminence of total f?ck-off bits like the mental stuffed bird attack. Light on gore but heavy on Fulci, and in my (massively zoomed in on) eyes, a success.

3 FROM HELL – Rob Zombie is back with his personal little gang of desperados (minus S Haig, for the most part) for another wallow in a butcher shop world of cool psychos versus fascist squares. It’s pretty entertaining, with some mean-spirited gore in places (though not that much), but it all feels a bit samey. Maybe I shouldn’t grouse, but I get the sense Zombie had another kind of film in mind. I do prefer him when he tries for much more visionary, pretentious stuff – ‘Lords of Salem’, for example, was flawed but on some levels excellent – and the only bit of that kind of playfulness here is a very effective snippet where Baby hallucinates the cat-man personification of her ‘lost innocence’ whilst in prison, a wonderful bit of inspired surrealism.

WOUNDS – Unexpectedly good Nathan Ballingrud adaption – I say that because I wasn’t convinced Ballingrud’s elegant prose and shadowy scenarios, with their pained relationships and sometimes off-page horrors, would translate all that well into Netflix terms. Well, I was wrong on that count – ‘Wounds’ builds a very convincingly ominous atmosphere that finally erupts into disturbing WTFery in its rendering of a New Orleans barkeep’s tangle with weird and inexplicable forces. I really don’t understand all the bad reviews on IMDB at all, this is very moody stuff and I found it quite compelling, I guess with Ballingrud you just need to know that a lot of the time it’s about estrangement and discordant undercurrents rather than people being stabbed by killer dolls, though there is still a bit of gloop in places, esp. cringy if you don’t like cockroaches. Worth a watch, and a read too definitely if you haven’t (it’s based on ‘The Visible Filth’.)

As always ... Hail!!!!!
troggi likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 2nd November 2019, 09:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

This Midsommar is shit btw. It's taking too long. Europeans don't say fall neither geezer

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 2nd November 2019, 10:18 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Death Wish V: The Face Of Fear

Paul living a life under the witness protection as Professor Paul Stewart, is dating fashion queen Olivia who was married to mobster Tommy O'Shea, when he muscles in on her business, Paul goes to the D.A. and Olivia is killed, he decides to wage a war on the mobster and his gang.

The final chapter for Bronson to be Mr Vigilante, even though a 6th was planned but never surfaced to anything, at 71 it shows Bronson can still pull a decent punch and have the skills to put down a few people. Michael Perks stars as the mobster Tommy who thinks he can outsmart Kersey. Leslie-Ann Down plays the fashion model Olivia and Robert Joy plays henchman Freddie with a dandruff problem. This was listed as a poor ending but I beg to differ.

Well said. I know it plays like a tv movie, but I really like Death Wish V. Michael Parks as the villain, deaths by remote controlled footballs and cyanide filled Cannolis. What's not to like?!
Old 2nd November 2019, 10:24 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Default Is he still going on aboot Midsommar then???

Ahem. It looks amazing. But it's a bit predictable. Sound design a definite improvement over the last one. But still ....

Next!!!
troggi and nosferatu42 like this.

[B]
Old 2nd November 2019, 10:30 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Eaten Alive 1980.

A young woman searching for her sister teams up with a adventurer travels to the jungle of New Guinea and finds a religious cult and cannibals.

Another classic by Umberto Lenzi film with Robert Kerman (Cannibal Holocaust), Janet Argen (City Of The Living Dead). Part of the film seemed loosely based on Jim Jones with the fresh cool aid drink. Ivan Rassimov (Deep River Savages) takes on the role as religious fanatic Jonas. This film does have it's errors and laughable moments and has it's splatter parts, some bits seemed to be missing or edited out (Vipco edition) is there a new version of this been released.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Eaten-Alive-1980-movie-4.jpg (20.1 KB, 3 views)
Old 2nd November 2019, 10:54 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Speed Kills (2018)

A watchable if uninvolving biopic of Don Aronow, a speed boat racing champion who lead a double life in which he has dealings with the Mob as he tries to keep one step ahead of the DEA.

A film which looks great throughout but it's difficult to argue that this is simply an ego trip and a chance to play in speed boats for heavily Botoxed star John Travolta.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg travspeed-poster.jpg (63.2 KB, 3 views)
Old 2nd November 2019, 11:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

IT Chapter Two

Remember the fun you had reading the novel? Sadly the filmmakers don't seem to have had that pleasure. Or have read anything at all. I kind of want the clown to kill them all

[B]
Old 3rd November 2019, 12:21 AM
Cult Master

MV5BMzFiYWQxYzgtOThmYi00ZmIwLWFlZWMtMzk2NTI2YTYzMjkyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTkxNjUyNQ@@._V1_.jpg

Rudy Ray Moore moved to LA to escape his country upbringing and live the Hollywood dream but he is caught in a rut and feels his life is going nowhere. During the day he works in a record store but at night he is the MC in a night club and he is still holding on to the name in lights dream. Listening to old stories from the local homeless population Rudy adapts the stories to create a character and start doing some stand up comedy. One night instead of his usual MC routine before the main attraction Rudy breaks out Dolomite and his adult only jokes and stories and that are in instant success. Rudy starts recording albums his stand up and takes his show on the road. At first he is on top of the world but after a night at the movies he decides he wants to go bigger and be known to the whole world he wants to bring Dolemite to the big screen. Rudy is no stranger to being told no and still making it and this time is no different and he goes and makes the movie himself. Will it be a box office hit or a complete disaster.

Dolemite Is My Name is fantastic its a great story with great characters its foul mouthed its sexy its raunchy and is funny as f***. Its the old saying that truth is stranger than fiction and you forget that this is a biopic not just a comedy. Eddie Murphy is amazing right from the first line he cracked me up i have always been a fan of Eddie Murphy from his stand up to SNL to all the amazing films i grew up with and its great to see him back where he belongs.

When people come to see a movie they wanna see

Car chases Kung Fu and Ti**ies and that what we gave em

8/10
Old 3rd November 2019, 01:58 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Terror Train 1980.

Three years after a prank goes wrong, the students decide to have a graduation party on a train and someone on-board is slowly killing them one at a time.

This is one of those like or yeah it's ok movie, Jamie Lee Curtis stars as one of the Sorritory sisters who seems a bit mean spirited who helped pull a prank. On a train and nowhere to run seemed like a good idea with a blend of magic from David Copperfield. It does have it's feel of claustrophobia and a killer changing costumes. There is a fair amount of suspense only downside some of the murders seem to happen off screen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 268x0w.jpg (38.0 KB, 4 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!