Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th November 2019, 10:01 PM
Cult Addict

Samurai Cop
A police force get a cop from San Diego to help fight the katana (translation - Japanese Sword) gang.
I love it, my mate hated it though.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 25th November 2019, 10:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

To Kill A Mockingbird 1962.

1932 small town Alabama, lawyer and single parent Atticus Finch is defending a black man for the rape and beating of a white girl, while his children seem to be intrigued by their neighbours and a hermit.

This was a truly great film, first time ever seeing this as heard so many (good) things about it that it was generally spoiled so never gave it a view, wish i had seen it earlier till now. Gregory Peck gives an amazing performance as Atticus, who seems to be outcasted in defending a black man and being labled as a "negro lover" and the way racism is shown is powerful and portraying a person who see's other as humans and a loyal father figure. The actors playing the children were brilliant as little mischief's spying on their neighbours making up stories.

From the start it does seem a little bit slow with the introduction to everyone in the area and the new boy staying with his aunt but the pace is quickly picked up to the dramatic court scene and to finish a film with a ending i didn't expect made it a bit more heart warming. Defiantly one to watch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg man.jpg (61.2 KB, 5 views)
Old 25th November 2019, 11:03 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Wounds (Babak Anvari)

Bartender with drink problem starts seeing things, but The Lost Weekend it ain't
Arne Hammer finds more than he bargained for in the aftermath of a pub brawl. His girlfriend is suspicious of his new interests. Rightly so, it turns out. An odd one for sure. Not a bad thing.

The Retrievers (1982, Elliot Hong)

Occidental high kicking anyone? A more gritty, realistic film I didn't watch
As Burroughs says "... watch whose money you pick up ..", when a down at heel whatever is recruited into a shadowy cabal, tea & crumpets are not on the agenda
Lots of fun in this unintentionally hi-larious flick.
Recommended.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 25th November 2019, 11:10 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Pet sematary remake.....

First Hellboy remake, then Midsommar, I should have learned.

Slooooooooooooow depressing drama with bits of the book/first film thrown in here & there. Looks very staged, not fun! 2/5
Old 26th November 2019, 05:33 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Green Hornet (2011)

An action, comedy, sort of superhero film that is sporadically decent but sadly let down, at least for myself, because it stars Seth Rogen, a comedy actor who basically sucks in everything. Meanwhile Christoph Waltz cements his reputation as a parody villain with the same performance he phones in for all his bad guy roles.

Whilst some scenes work, for the most part this is quite unfocused, apparently playing out more for laughs which never arise than anything approaching an exciting or indeed interesting storyline.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The_Green_Hornet-842509168-large.jpg (97.9 KB, 6 views)
Old 26th November 2019, 05:53 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Indeed. When Chow is on screen, it picks up full stop. But then the tv series was similar ... flabby caucasian kept in business by lithe asian
Ahem.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 26th November 2019, 06:07 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Indeed. When Chow is on screen, it picks up full stop. But then the tv series was similar ... flabby caucasian kept in business by lithe asian
Ahem.
Much of it seemed like a new version of Clouseau vs Cato in the Pink Panther films.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 26th November 2019, 06:38 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Aye, there is that as well ....
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

[B]
Old 26th November 2019, 10:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Spartacus 1960.

A slave leads a revolt against a Roman Republic in 73 B.C.

Amazing spectacular film from Stanley Kubrick's (who later hated the film), Kirk Douglas plays slave Spartacus who is put to the test in gladiatorial skills and leader of the revolt against superiors. Peter Unison stars as the teacher of the up and coming new gladiators and Charles Laughton as the Roman Senator and Tony Curtis as Antoninus who joins the revolt. Kubrick handled this film well with great cinematography from Russell Matt (although Kubrick wanted to do it himself) and some good stylish effects with the great fight scenes. It may not be accurate or close to the truth but it is exciting to watch with a great background score.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spartacus 1.jpg (23.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 27th November 2019, 06:59 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Sir Henry At Rawlinson End (1980)

Enter this void ....
Down at heel aristo blunders his way through life. His extended family are either looney tunes cubed or are chinless hangers on.
Never mind the POW camp hidden in the grounds
Trevor Howard resembles Vivian's finest creation ably, and a cast of familiar faces shore up the rather ambling script. Keep an eye out for the 'bird impersonation" cough

[B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!