Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179040Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th December 2019, 11:24 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Die Hard. 1988.

A NYPD officer arrives in Los Angeles to spend time with his family, his wife is attending a party in her office tower. When terrorist takes control, John McClane tries to save everyone and stay alive barefooted.

Classic 80s film that never gets old, and always good for one liners in a action movie. Made before the incredible CGI effects where the action sequences did look real and well done. Bruce Willis plays the bad ass sarcastic cop McClane taking on German Hans Gruber played brilliantly by Alan Rickman who seems calm and then goes to being very upset at times. Plenty of action, and explosions along the way.

"Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenShot2016-03-11at11.33.16AM-5b94a9c7.jpg (32.8 KB, 5 views)
Old 12th December 2019, 01:14 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Decemberdike # 8

Incident in a Ghostland (2018)

No story, no scares, no suspense.

This was so ****ing boring!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3312865.jpg (97.2 KB, 5 views)
Old 12th December 2019, 02:05 PM
Cult Acolyte

1451882911_1.jpg
PHANTOM FROM 10,000 LEAGUES (1955)

Bodies with burn marks are washing up on the shoreline. The culprit, a sea creature that has mutated due to a experimental radioactive rock on the sea bed..

Low budget creature feature which uses the man in a rubber suit monster.
It's an okay movie but spends far too much time on land matters than going underwater to see what the actual creature is up to.

1955-the-phantom-from-10000-leagues-007-norma-hanson-e1486764688492.jpg thKPJUHJ20.jpg
Old 12th December 2019, 04:14 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

KILLER CROCODILE – Another late-in-the-day Italian exploitation entry, this ventures into swampy ‘Jaws’ rip off territory with Fabrizio D’Angelis at the helm and Gianetto De Rossi in the make-up chair. It’s all as mechanistic as might be expected, but also lots of fun if, like me, you find incompetent acting and an overall sense of plastic unreality intoxicating. As always with this kind of thing, it’s the little eccentricities that add sparkle, like the the slo-mo flying ranger’s hat moment near the end… I guess you had to be there. If that doesn’t float your boat, there’s a bit of gore and some nice monster fx.

THE CHILL FACTOR – This seems to have met with a decidedly underwhelmed response from those who’ve picked it up via Arrow’s recent attempt at canonisation. I jest re the latter of course, it’s nice that they’re still dishing out the obscurities. This one certainly is (obscure). It’s an early nineties horror flick about some snowmobilers who end up stranded in a shack or a church with some kind of dark ritualistic past. Many have dissed it for being boring, and it is a bit; there’s a by-the-numbers aspect, as well as a healthy dose of non-event in places. But give it a chance – if you’re into a murky, at times surreal atmosphere you’ll find that here, as well as occasional flashes of inspired imagery and a general sense of “Uh… that’s odd” – the enigmatic voiceover, for a start. I actually really quite liked this strange, awkward film.

UPGRADE – One that many seem to have raved about, ‘Upgrade’ appears to promise a return to the kind of low budget sci-fi-action-horror template beloved of fans of, well, the obvious examples, ‘Terminator’ etc. It has a lot in its favour – a nice look, lush visuals, a general feel that transcends its means. It also seems unafraid of pushing stilted performances along with the old ultraviolence and the cyborgy thematics. I thought it was good, but not great. The idea of being gradually colonised by a prosthetic self was probably the stronger but relatively unexplored aspect of a film that was more content to pander with lavish gore moments (not all that many, even) and a retro vibe.

SEE NO EVIL – From Richard Fleischer, around the time of his seventies directorial heyday (’10 Rillington Place’ et al). It has Mia Farrow as a blind woman being terrorised by an unseen creepo on a large country estate. If you were in that situation, would you want Boon to come to your rescue? It doesn’t quite pan out like that, but almost. A good film from when British horror was shaking off its gothic mantle, although I guess it’s more like a thriller really, if genre matters. Whatever, there’s a nice spooky atmosphere at work – it’s those boots, the way they move. What does it take to make boots look evil? That’s the mark of a cinematic genius. I also like how they make a small-town British high street temporarily look a bit like Times Square at night during the opening credits.

THE VINEYARD – Yeah, I’ve seen this a few times over the years, weirdly. I tend not to watch many movies more than once or twice, particularly stuff like ‘The Vineyard’, which seems tailor-made to blink once in the flotsam of the mind, then disappear for ever. And yet here we are, for the third or fourth time. I’m quite glad though, cos I don’t think the true lunacy of ‘The Vineyard’ was ever as clear to me before I slipped in the new VS incarnation, which showcases so many eighties moments of rancid cheese to HD perfection. This particular brand of cheese seems to have developed a mould-based delirium-inducing toxin that, once consumed, will expand neither the mind nor the soul, but will during rare moments of lucidity make you question why there’s this sorcerer dude with a vineyard, a cellar full of chained-up underwear models, and a garden full of zombies who kind of flounce around looking not very arsed. That’s pretty much ‘The Vineyard’, sequence after sequence of what I’ve just described in every conceivable permutation. Maybe that’s a good thing, maybe that’s a bad thing. How can we ever really know for sure?
Old 12th December 2019, 05:21 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

As always, Frankie, kudos!
Old 12th December 2019, 05:33 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
What does it take to make boots look evil? That’s the mark of a cinematic genius.
Old 12th December 2019, 06:46 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Midsommar,

Well what can I say, it's beautifully shot with a very atmospheric soundtrack, I enjoyed it but at same time I can also understand why other people don't, maybe it's the length of the film or the fact it's a slow burner is a possibility of what puts some people off. People are always saying the film industry needs something new and fresh and not remakes, sequels, reboots or the same old same old and that's exactly what midsommar is something new and fresh. As much as I enjoyed It i don't feel it's a film that can be rewatched a lot more occasionally here and there .
Old 12th December 2019, 09:20 PM
Cult Acolyte

Dementia 13. The reunion of a wealthy family with a tragic past unleashes an avalanche of murder and mayhem in this early 60s chiller directed by Francis (minus the Ford here) Coppola. Nothing overly special but watchable and atmospheric and even proto-slasheresque in places.
Old 12th December 2019, 09:56 PM
Cult Addict

Vampire Circus.

Found this later Hammer offering pretty dull and silly in places if I'm being honest. Some effective scenes but on the whole it felt unbalanced and just didn't grab me.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old 12th December 2019, 10:27 PM
Cult Addict

Burn the heretic.

( To steal a phrase...cough.)

I really like Vampire Circus as it's unusual compared to a lot of hammer output.

There's a disjointed feel to it that kinda reminds me of weird Euro cult 70's films.

Also maybe it was because it was a racier Hammer offering that used to turn up on T.V quite a bit as an impressionable youngster back in the day.

And Lalla Ward pops up in it. ( but not out unfortunately.)

tumblr_pg7fu9I3Lx1sqf5tdo2_500.jpg

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.

Like this? Share it using the links below!