Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th December 2019, 11:46 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Jeepers Creepers

The Scream Factory edition is the best way to go for one of the last modern horror classics (see also American Werewolf) where the creature is amazing & setup is simple & engaging (see also The Hitcher), two teenagers travelking home from college encounter "something" that emerges every 23 years for 23 days and "feeds".

B EATING U

Nothing memorable since...

9/10
Old 13th December 2019, 10:18 AM
Cult Acolyte

220px-Incubo-sulla-cittÃ*-contaminata.jpg
NIGHTMARE CITY (1980)

Contaminated people burst out of a aircraft on a runway and proceed to kill and cause mayhem as the infection spreads..

Entertaining and bat shit crazy movie from Umberto Lenzi.
Love it or hate it, it is almost non stop mutated zombie action.
Shame it had to have one of those WTF endings!
Old 13th December 2019, 01:12 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
Attachment 221370
NIGHTMARE CITY (1980)

Contaminated people burst out of a aircraft on a runway and proceed to kill and cause mayhem as the infection spreads..

Entertaining and bat shit crazy movie from Umberto Lenzi.
Love it or hate it, it is almost non stop mutated zombie action.
Shame it had to have one of those WTF endings!
I think it's great entertainment and love it because of the WTF ending, which I think makes it more bizarre, interesting, and re-watchable.
Old 13th December 2019, 04:41 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
And Lalla Ward pops up in it. ( but not out unfortunately.)
20191213_163022.jpg
Old 13th December 2019, 05:49 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
GOT IT MADE ( 1974 ) really does need a Blu Ray release
Old 13th December 2019, 06:09 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Decemberdike # 9

The Horror of Frankenstein (1970)

The Horror of Frankenstein has four impressive things in it's favour. Two of those belong to Kate O'Mara, the third is Dave Prowse's excellent monster which in my opinion is as good as any since the mighty Karloff in the thirties, and the fourth and best is Ralph Bates.

Although not exactly a success in the role of Frankenstein, Bates brings an enthusiasm to the part which is unequaled. It's not a subtle performance (I don't think Bates does subtle) it's a blackly comic portrayal which unlike Peter Cushing's previous takes elicits no sympathy whatsoever. He's funny, dynamic and brashly obnoxious and utterly ruthless with it.

As far as Hammer Frankenstein films go it's not a patch on Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed (1969) or The Revenge of Frankenstein (1958) but it is a hell of a lot of fun and doesn't deserve the criticism it receives.
Old 13th December 2019, 08:38 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Die Hard 2. 1990.

A year after taking on the terrorist at Nakatomi, John McClane is thrown into another problem at Dulles airport when rogue soldiers help release a drug lord from custody.

This is a great action packed sequel, Bruce is back with his wise crack antics trying to convince airport police lead by Dennis Franz that something is going on. William Sadler plays the rogue Col. Stuart who takes control of the airport and John Amos as the guy sent to take him down. William Atherton plays the assholish Richard Thornberg again the guy who wants the big story.

The build up to the film does seem to start off slow and does build up well with plenty action and suspense sequences and great snowmobile chase. Renny Harlin takes the chair of director for this one and does a decent job keeping everything moving at a decent pace.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51PNb5efQnL.jpg (40.1 KB, 4 views)
Old 13th December 2019, 10:56 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Dear old Hans has fallen to his death from nakatomi plaza, so that means the Christmas season has officially started! 10/10
Old 14th December 2019, 07:58 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

In fabric

I really liked and enjoyed this .

A mixture of Argento early film making and Cronenberg bizarre weirdness storyline and you've got this giallo style of film.

About a dress that's possessed and doesn't end well for anyone who wears it .
Its more of a story of 2 half's one with a women and other with a bloke, 2nd half doesn't quite grab or appeal the same as first half, told in very similar circumstances where they both get a telling off from their boss.

The 70s tonne feel of the film is done to a t, the style, look, weirdness, music etc etc you could easily be forgiven in thinking this was actually a 70s lost gem that's just been rediscovered and released instead of a modern day horror .

It also concentrates more on a film being a film instead of trying bring it upto modern society or give it a modern day look.

Definitely rank it up there as one of my favourite films of recent years and will be adding it to my collection .

I know this and Midsommar are miles apart but these 2 films make a refreshing change and stray away from the same crap that keeps getting released and not relying on the same old same old ,

We need more of these instead of churning out remakes, reboots, sequels, spin offs, or another marvel and DC universe film .

PS from same director that gave us Berberian sound studio so you have idea what type film to expect.

Recommended IMO.

Last edited by gag; 14th December 2019 at 08:22 AM.
Old 14th December 2019, 11:32 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Visually it just sent me into paroxysms tbh. It's a high recommend from me still.

Beyond The Door (1974)

Batshit crazy Exorcist ripoff from the folk who brought you The Visitor. What more do you need? Juliet Mills and Richard Johnson go head to head in this prime piece of Exploitation. Just bask in its awful levivtating, spewy wonder.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!