All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179616Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th December 2019, 10:53 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs;616987
The Horror of Frankenstein (1970)
It's a shame you can't see the extra on the Scream Factory disc that is not on the UK studio Canal version 'Veronica Carlson: A Portrait Of Hammer'
An excellent 20 min interview with Veronica which is at times quite emotional as she talks about working with actors which are no longer with us. (Portions of this interview are on the UK disc). A very personal talk which remains one my favourite extras on a Hammer disc. I have been lucky to meet Veronica on a number of occasions and so this extra is just the icing on the cake for me.

Staying with Hammer, I watched..

THE-DEVIL-RIDES-OUT.jpg
THE DEVIL RIDES OUT (1968)

Awesome Hammer production in all ways. Remains my favourite Hammer Film. Shout Factory's 'The Devils Bride' version blows all others out of the water and is recommended if you can play region A discs.
Old 14th December 2019, 11:05 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
It's a shame you can't see the extra on the Scream Factory disc that is not on the UK studio Canal version 'Veronica Carlson: A Portrait Of Hammer'
An excellent 20 min interview with Veronica which is at times quite emotional as she talks about working with actors which are no longer with us. (Portions of this interview are on the UK disc). A very personal talk which remains one my favourite extras on a Hammer disc. I have been lucky to meet Veronica on a number of occasions and so this extra is just the icing on the cake for me.
I've still got the Optimum dvd which has the Sangster commentary and 13 minute interview with Carlson.
Dave Boy likes this.
Old 14th December 2019, 11:54 AM
Cult Veteran

The Apartment (1960)

Finally got around to watching the blu-ray that Arrow mistakenly sent me for free last year! What a film, fantastic!

First Christmas film of the year too

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 14th December 2019, 02:44 PM
Cult Acolyte

Manhunt of Mystery island.jpg
MANHUNT OF MYSTERY ISLAND (1945)
REPUBLIC SERIAL - 15 CHAPTERS

Captain Mephisto, a long ago dead pirate appears alive and kidnaps a scientist working on a remote control invention. An investigator and the scientists daughter head to Mystery Island to find her father.
It turns out that Captain Mephisto is really a descendant of the dead pirate, living on the island who is able to use a machine to change in to Mephisto. But which one?

Exciting serial. Loads of chases, fights and explosions.
My favourite serial girl Linda Sterling, who gets knocked out quite a lot, does hold her own in the fight scenes, in fact saving the day in some scenes.
In 1945, movie serials were on the way out but this is a good example that there was life to had in these cliffhangers yet.

Old 14th December 2019, 03:15 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
The Apartment (1960)

Finally got around to watching the blu-ray that Arrow mistakenly sent me for free last year! What a film, fantastic!

First Christmas film of the year too
Caught this on sky last year as part of my attempt to watch more "classic" films.

Genius! 10/10, i went straight out & bought the Arrow edition. Must watch again sokn, thanks for reminding me of this gem!
Old 14th December 2019, 04:40 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Decemberdike # 10

The Convent (2018)

Director Paul Hyett's third horror film following 2012's brilliant The Seasoning House and werewolf film Howl (2015)

Whilst not as good as either of those two, The Convent is still a decent trip into Gothic Nunsploitation territory. Set in the seventeenth century the film looks the part, and it's plot involving demons and necromancy and of course nuns strikes the right notes. Perhaps it is a bit too flabby with talk during it's middle third but the gory gruesomeness that interjects, such as eyeballs being pulled from their sockets, certainly ensures i maintained an interest in the film.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg covenant-1-2019-691x1024.jpg (97.6 KB, 5 views)
Old 14th December 2019, 07:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Exorcist III: Legion

Lt. Kinderman investigates three murders that were linked to a serial killer who died 15 years earlier and a connection to patient in the disturbed ward of a hospital.

Blatty's original version before it was edited and had added in extra scenes and some scenes deleted that were to be lost and forgotten about.

This version adds in more questions than answers and does tie up some loose ends that the original cut didn't explain, Jason Miller didn't make a appearance as well as Nicol Williamson due to their characters being added in by the studio. There is some extended scenes and one intense scene with Kinderman and the university president. Also added in is a alternate opening scene. View with a open mind and try not to compare with the original release version.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (6.7 KB, 6 views)
Old 14th December 2019, 09:03 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
The Exorcist III: Legion

Lt. Kinderman investigates three murders that were linked to a serial killer who died 15 years earlier and a connection to patient in the disturbed ward of a hospital.

Blatty's original version before it was edited and had added in extra scenes and some scenes deleted that were to be lost and forgotten about.

This version adds in more questions than answers and does tie up some loose ends that the original cut didn't explain, Jason Miller didn't make a appearance as well as Nicol Williamson due to their characters being added in by the studio. There is some extended scenes and one intense scene with Kinderman and the university president. Also added in is a alternate opening scene. View with a open mind and try not to compare with the original release version.

It's a shame that they weren't able to locate the negative for Blatty's original version, but it's still nice to see what they were going for before the reshoots. Definitely prefer the more low key ending on the Legion version.
trebor8273 and MrBarlow like this.
Old 14th December 2019, 11:00 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Decemberdike # 11

The Dark (2018)

Not so much a horror film as an exploration of friendship between a blind boy and the undead teenage girl he meets in a forest.

It did however feel much too long and would have worked better as a half hour short. Not enough actually happened to warrant it's 90+ minute run time but the acting was very good in a film that certainly strayed far from the normal horror tropes.

At times brutal at others hauntingly sad. A re-watch is in order in the new year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thedark2018poster-212x300.jpg (6.7 KB, 7 views)
Old 15th December 2019, 05:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Dredd. 2012.

In the future, police force serve the hall of justice, they are called Judges. Most feared is Judge Dredd, assigned the task of training a rookie they go to Peach Trees slum tower. Gangland drug Lord Ma-Ma seals the tower and places a bounty on the judges.

After watching the 1995 film I wasn't going to give this film a glance I was persuaded to watch it and loved every minute of it, Karl Urban brings out the perfect persona of the comic book character with the deep raspy voice, and no holding back on anything. Lena Headey role as Ma-Ma is amazing, a woman that wants to control the drug trade and handing out punishment her way with no remorse on who gets caught in the crossfire.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (14.0 KB, 7 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!