Like Tree179480Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th December 2019, 10:16 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Superstition (1982)

Fans of splatter will adore this low-ish budget Amityville clone in which a minister's family move into a home under the spell of a witch's curse.

Characters end up drowned, sawed, spiked, slashed and even microwaved in squishy delightful practical FX sequences.

Oh and speaking of Amityville. This is so much more schlocky fun, so much so that it feels Italian.
Think this is absolutely better of a underrated gem, films like these knocks spot of vast majority of films today.
Old 17th December 2019, 06:13 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Catch up time for some of the non-horror films i've watched recently.

Ghost in the Shell (2017)

Merely so-so. For the first half hour i thought this was excellent but then it seemed to get bogged down in stuff and nonsense and by the credits i was only watching it for the excellent cityscapes and street views which were Blade Runner lite. Had Scarlett worn that white catsuit throughout then i'd certainly have paid more attention.

A Simple Favor (2018)

Hitchcockian style thriller in which Anna Kendrick is asked by high flyer Blake Lively to do, well, a simple favour for her, and a web of deceit and blackmail ensues.

I thought this was a hell of a lot of fun. Think Desperate Housewives on acid. Loved the idea of Blake Lively playing against type as an obnoxious bitch, but then i would. Damn! How i hate Ryan Reynolds.

Justice League Dark (2017)

A lack of familiarity with some of the characters prevented me loving this slickly animated film as much as some of the other DC movies, but the breakneck speed of the plot definitely held my attention. Kudos for having John Constantine as a sweary Scouser rather than Keanu Reeves (Haven't seen the series so no idea regarding his accent in that) and several appearances from the mighty Swamp Thing. The rest of the characters, Wonder Woman aside, went straight over my head. Thank heavens for Batman who held it all together.

The Tit and the Moon (1994)

I was hoping for basically A Hairdressers Husband part two, but sadly director Bigas Luna took the film down a more symbolic route than merely simple story telling.

A bit of a disappointment.

The Time Machine (1960)

Lush visuals, excellent special effects and a fascinating storyline which is as much about the small human elements as it is the high concept of time travel make The Time Machine quite simply a timeless classic, if you'll pardon the pun. Take note BBC. This is how to adapt H.G. Wells.

Juliet of the Spirits (1965)

No, sorry. Fellini and i quite simply do not get along. I hated Roma and i hated this. In fact i turned it off which is unprecedented for me. Never again shall our paths cross. I'll stick to Gialli when it comes to Italian cinema.

There's a Cult Films Bd/dvd going cheap in this vicinity.
Old 17th December 2019, 07:38 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:

Ghost in the Shell (2017)

Merely so-so. For the first half hour i thought this was excellent but then it seemed to get bogged down in stuff and nonsense and by the credits i was only watching it for the excellent cityscapes and street views which were Blade Runner lite. Had Scarlett worn that white catsuit throughout then i'd certainly have paid more attention.

A Simple Favor (2018)

Hitchcockian style thriller in which Anna Kendrick is asked by high flyer Blake Lively to do, well, a simple favour for her, and a web of deceit and blackmail ensues.

I thought this was a hell of a lot of fun. Think Desperate Housewives on acid. Loved the idea of Blake Lively playing against type as an obnoxious bitch, but then i would. Damn! How i hate Ryan Reynolds.

Justice League Dark (2017)

A lack of familiarity with some of the characters prevented me loving this slickly animated film as much as some of the other DC movies, but the breakneck speed of the plot definitely held my attention. Kudos for having John Constantine as a sweary Scouser rather than Keanu Reeves (Haven't seen the series so no idea regarding his accent in that) and several appearances from the mighty Swamp Thing. The rest of the characters, Wonder Woman aside, went straight over my head. Thank heavens for Batman who held it all together.

The Tit and the Moon (1994)

I was hoping for basically A Hairdressers Husband part two, but sadly director Bigas Luna took the film down a more symbolic route than merely simple story telling.

A bit of a disappointment.

The Time Machine (1960)

Lush visuals, excellent special effects and a fascinating storyline which is as much about the small human elements as it is the high concept of time travel make The Time Machine quite simply a timeless classic, if you'll pardon the pun. Take note BBC. This is how to adapt H.G. Wells.

No, sorry. Fellini and i quite simply do not get along. I hated Roma and i hated this. In fact i turned it off which is unprecedented for me. Never again shall our paths cross. I'll stick to Gialli when it comes to Italian cinema.

Johns very close to how he is in the comics, he's a fouled mouth bisexual chain smoking Scouser , the Reeves version was as far away from the character as you could get.
Old 17th December 2019, 07:50 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The weakest of the prequels with suffers from a poor script and dialogue . 6/10

Easily the best of the prequels. 7.7/10

When Santa falls from Tim Allen's roof, he has to become the new Santa and has a year to get his affairs in order, life becomes complicated when he starts gaining weight and white beard and his ex wife and her new partner believe he might be losing hes mind . Enjoyable but instantly forgettable. 6/10
Old 18th December 2019, 11:22 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Revisited The Offence (Sidney Lumet)

It's the structure here than fascinates. Told in a shuttle style, ambiguity is the keyword here. A policeman interrogates a suspect. Don't all rush to the exit cough. Connery about as far away from Bond, without a jockstrap , as you can get and Ian Bannen snivelling away for England like a good 'un. High Recommend from this lair.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 18th December 2019, 07:39 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Corpse Bride. 2005.

When a shy nervous groom practices his wedding vows in the woods he accidentally rises a dead bride who thinks that she is now married.

Classic dark gothic animation movie from Tim Burton that's like a horror film for kids but do we actually grow up. The stop motion is great and second best to The Nightmare Before Christmas. Burton regular Johnny Depp provides the voice of shy Victor who bumbles his vows and says them perfectly with a bad consequence. Only downside I felt with the movie it wasn't long enough, still happy to watch it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg download.jpg (6.8 KB, 40 views)
Old 18th December 2019, 08:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Nightmare Before Christmas. 1993.

Jack Skellington, King of Halloween Town, discovers Christmas Town and tries to bring it to his home and causes confusion and the residents can't quite get things right.

Based on the story by Tim Burton with his style of a gothic tale with a horror character imitating a festive season and trying to look like jolly old St. Nick. It's a decent animated film with Chris Sarandon providing the voice of Jack while Danny Elfman doing the singing voice. A great film with a tale of wicked humour.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 268x0w.jpg (16.2 KB, 3 views)
Old 18th December 2019, 10:02 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:

That's is always a problem with "cult" directors, you love or hate - I saw a movie or two from Felline and was enough - but if you still want to explore Italian cinema outside Gialli maybe try Ettore Scola.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 18th December 2019, 10:08 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Decemberdike # 15

Tam Lin (1970)

An obscure British semi-horror film based on the Scottish poem The Ballad of Tam Lin.

When i say obscure i say this meaning as obscure as any film can be that was directed by Roddy McDowall and stars American screen icon Ava Gardner.

There's a fine British support cast - Ian McShane (Who Gardner clearly has a lot of fun with), Richard Wattis, Stephanie Beacham, Joanna Lumley, Bruce Robinson and others but the film remains a curio, a fascinating glimpse back to the sixties age of Aquarius hedonistic lifestyles of the wealthy and drugged out. At it's heart Tam Lin is a story of witchcraft but McDowell keeps it well hidden in a cloud of LSD hallucinogens.

Tam Lin may not be much of a horror film per se but it is certainly quirky and bizarre and even if, like me, you wonder exactly what the **** is going on for half the film it's a grower and well worth sticking with.
Old 18th December 2019, 10:30 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Mortal Engines (2018)

Wow! Somewhere in the script there's a bloody awesome film just desperate to get out. The beginning and end were quite superb. I love the steam punk idea of the city of London transforming itself into one gigantic motorized machine which wanders the planet integrating smaller towns into it's colossal engines.

The problem with Mortal Engines is that the rest of the film, you know, that whopping great 90 minutes in the middle, is a load of derivative metaphorical bollocks.

I don't know if the film's frankly superb concept far outweighed it's budget but world building beginning and end aside this proved so disappointing as it slowly went downhill. Basically when the brilliant visuals gave way to characters and plot development it all became a crushing disappointment.

But, damn! Those mechanized cities were awesome spectacles
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 71B7Ur5-ulL._SY741_.jpg (58.3 KB, 5 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!