Like Tree179623Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th December 2019, 01:44 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Decemberdike # 16

Corridor of Mirrors (1948)

Future James Bond director Terence Young's noirish thriller to my mind is the link between the European cinema of say, Fritz Lang and Cocteau and British Gothic that would hit our cinema screens in under a decade's time.

It's both experimental in it's fairy tale like story and also in it's gorgeous cinematography. Starring Eric Portman as a Bluebeard like character who seduces Edana Romney and transforms her into an ideal substitute for his lover from fifteenth century Italy.

Corridor of Mirrors ends up an intriguing blend of fantasy, fairy tale, Gothic horror and Vertigo esq Hitchcockian thriller and is a film i heartily recommend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shock_corridor_01.jpg (85.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 19th December 2019, 05:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Private Parts (1972, Paul Bartel)

Sort of a companion to Toys Are Not For Children, another tale of innocence lost in the big shitty. When her flatmate forces her out, our heroine is left with no option but to throw herself at the mercy of a distant relative. Somewhat more Exploitative than Toys ... it features a cast of ne'r do wells, one in particular taking a shine to our girl. A bit flaccid in places, the period and locale kept me entertained well enough.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 19th December 2019, 10:21 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Battle of the River Plate (1956)

The writer-director-producer team of Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger's account of the hunting down by British war ships of the German Pocket Battleship Admiral Graf Spee in the South Atlantic and finally the Uruguayan port of Montevideo.

Using actual war ships, including two who had actually fought in the battle, gives the film a high level of authenticity - 11 ships in all were used in the film - and the battle itself lasts a good twenty minutes of the film making this exciting stuff which is superbly photographed.

Rather than being a propaganda film made during the war the fact The Battle of the River Plate was made 11 years after serves it well.

Admiral Graf Spee, under Captain Hans Langsdorff (Peter Finch) is seen as a mighty scourge of the seas and it's list of conquests and sinking's of British ships is something to behold. Langsdorff is seen as a sympathetic and honourable Captain whom his British adversaries wholly respect. Following his decision to scuttle the Graf Spee rather than let it into enemy hands as it left Montevideo Langsdorff actually committed suicide once back ashore, the film simply portrays him as feeling subdued as he talks to British Naval officers.

Recommended.
Old 20th December 2019, 10:19 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Spun (Jonas Akerlund)

A rather frenetic wee thing. Follow Ross and friends in their eternal search for drugs. Meth to be precise. The visuals reflecting something of the effects of that drug. Mickey Rourke, Rob Halford and Deborah Harry pop up to alleviate the endless gibbering. A very lurid live action cartoon of a film. Recommended to insomniacs

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 20th December 2019, 05:32 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Decemberdike # 17

The Stone Tape (1972)

Originally aired by the BBC on Christmas Day 1972, The Stone Tape is a wonderfully creepy little gem.

The script by Nigel Kneale is fairly straightforward. A team of scientists who move into their new research venue which is an old but newly renovated Victorian mansion. They soon discover one room that has been left totally untouched, a room supposedly haunted.

The sounds created by the Radiophonic Workshop quite simply make the film. From ghostly footsteps to supernatural screaming, the sound design is superb and utterly chilling.

A strong cast including Jane Asher, Michael Bryant and Iain (Children of the Stones) Cuthbertson make the supernatural occurrences come across as utterly believable, in fact i'd say very scary indeed.

So, turn the lights out and the sound up and creep yourself out with The Stone Tape.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aRqll1r6Y7Rc5R9NVMVHVHEGiT8.jpg (94.1 KB, 6 views)
Old 20th December 2019, 05:51 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Stone Tape (1972)
I wanted to watch this last year and went looking for it but couldn't get a DVD of it, I think it's out of print!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 20th December 2019, 07:05 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I wanted to watch this last year and went looking for it but couldn't get a DVD of it, I think it's out of print!
You can get it and Ghostwatch together on Amazon for £6

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk
Justin101 and Demoncrat like this.
Old 20th December 2019, 08:40 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

First time in the house (found in Tesco btw!, nae as bloody cheap as Fopp either )

Follow Brad Pitt around the tail end of the sixties in that place of dreams. Daydreams of Bruce Lee for a start cough.
That aside, I still enjoyed it. There's a drinking game in every scene hahaha. He's nae in it.
Recommended!!

[B]
Old 20th December 2019, 10:14 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I bought it for £2 in this years 101 Films January sale. It's the same as the BFI dvd and has the Kim Newman / Nigel Kneale commentary track.

https://101-films-store.myshopify.co...e&type=product
Justin101 and Demoncrat like this.
Old 21st December 2019, 12:48 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Decemberdike # 18

The Axiom (2018)

A well thought out indie horror that's nicely acted but sadly let down by budgetary constraints. Taking in portals in the woods and malevolent spirits there's the strains of a good film here but i also felt it didn't quite work despite being on the whole well acted.

Following a very talky opening we get into a bit of Lovecraftian cosmic horror utilising dimensions and so forth but the ending felt a slight let down. Think a cross between The excellent 2017 film The Ritual and the well received The Void from 2016 with less budget and not as much gore.

Worth a re-watch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 81vDqBVDjfL._SY445_.jpg (28.5 KB, 5 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!