Like Tree179448Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd December 2019, 04:25 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Decemberdike # 20

The Witches (1966)

Joan Fontaine gives an excellent performance as a teacher haunted by the ghosts of witch doctors from her time in Africa, in what would prove to be her final film role.

Hammer's Occult thriller is quite low key, lacking much in the way of exploitation and luridness which both adds to and takes away from the film.

The story is quiet and unsettling and performance driven as witchcraft appears rife in a sleepy English village in what is an early example of British Folk horror.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the-witches1.jpg (79.8 KB, 8 views)
Old 23rd December 2019, 06:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A modern retelling of a Christmas Carol with Murray on top form as tv executive who only cares about business , whom is visited by the ghost of Christmas present, past, and future before it's too late for him . Lots of great moments and characters . 9/10

Now watching the Bishops wife which not seen before and could easily end up my favourite Christmas movie or at least in the top 5.
Old 23rd December 2019, 07:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Absolutely wonderful and uplifting film. Angel Dudley ( Gary Grant who has to be the most suave Angel ever) is sent to earth to help a bishop ( David Niven) who has becoming to involved in the building of a cathedral, that he has neglected is parishioners and more importantly his wife , Dudley sets around to help those around him and makes up seen hes moving in on the Bishops wife, making him jealous. Going to be regular Christmas viewing from Now on and if you haven't seen recommend seeing it. It's quite funny how every women gets wet once they come into contact with Dudley. Superior to a wonderful life. Fantastic performance from the two leads, they don't make them like this anymore.9.6/10

Next up a Christmas horror story.

Last edited by trebor8273; 23rd December 2019 at 07:42 PM.
Old 23rd December 2019, 07:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Witches (1966)

Joan Fontaine gives an excellent performance as a teacher haunted by the ghosts of witch doctors from her time in Africa, in what would prove to be her final film role.

Hammer's Occult thriller is quite low key, lacking much in the way of exploitation and luridness which both adds to and takes away from the film.

The story is quiet and unsettling and performance driven as witchcraft appears rife in a sleepy English village in what is an early example of British Folk horror.
Love this film.
Demdike@Cult Labs and Deadite like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 23rd December 2019, 07:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Blue Murder At St Trinians (1957, Frank Launder)

I Say! Sadly Lionel bleedin' Jeffries in drag is no replacement for the Sim. Luckily the girls (with some help from TT, Grenfell etc) are the focus. Here, they traipse over Europe, destroying all before them. Michael Ripper drives the bus, and steals the film with the line "If it gets any 'otter ... I'll have to take me jumper off" when they hit Italy

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 25th December 2019, 10:25 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Christmas vacation.

A classic that gets a viewing ever year. Like Hans Gruber falling too his death it doesn't feel like Christmas till those immortal words shitter was full are heard. 9/10

Elf

A baby whom climbs into Santa's sack is raised as an elf and years later finding out that he is not an elf sets out to new York to find his father, festive and funny and usual don't like Will Ferral . 8/10

Home alone

When young Kevin is left his alone when his parents and relatives goto France, what starts out every 8 years old dream soon turns sour when he starts missing his family and has to.defend his home from the wet bandits who have been robbing the neighbourhood. Lots wince inducing Tom and Jerry violence . 8.5/10

Now watching Godzilla king of monsters ( 1956)
Old 26th December 2019, 11:10 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Love this film.
Same. Might even go as far as to say it's one of my favourite Hammer films. "Give me a skin for dancing in".
Demoncrat and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 26th December 2019, 09:31 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Just watched Paddington 2 on the telly. Great film. Hugh Grant and Brendan Gleeson are great in it.
Old 27th December 2019, 06:38 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
Just watched Paddington 2 on the telly. Great film. Hugh Grant and Brendan Gleeson are great in it.

There were tears in our house when we watched this!
Demoncrat likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 27th December 2019, 11:49 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
There were tears in our house when we watched this!
I didn't watch it on TV and saw it at the cinema and don't mind admitting that it also brought tears to my eyes, and did again when I saw it at home. It probably will do again the next time I watch it.

Paddington 2 is a wonderful family film, probably better than the first.
Justin101 likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!