Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179475Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd June 2010, 07:22 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

just finished watching The Girl Next Door, which although brilliantly acted and also quite compelling and powerful, is also a sick, nasty, depraved and quite frankly disturbing film, that i found at time a little hard to bare, The scenes with the family and the girl, are not only shocking but a little too realistic for my liking, although i would recommend this over that peice of shit Anti-Christ Anyday...

but the film does have an appearance from 80s hotness and star of Night Of The Comet, Catherine Mary Stewart who at 51 is a bonafide MILF, seriously she's still quite hot...
Old 22nd June 2010, 07:59 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post
I watched the theatrical version which I still consider to be superior to The Version You've Never Seen which does have its plus points but the negatives still outweigh the positives. It just goes to show that William Friedkin is a better director than William Peter Blatty!
I think Blatty's Exorcist III is a terrific horror movie! Blatty's way of creating atmosphere and tension is fantastic ... although it did go to the Silly Ending Shop! But I still think it is overall one of the best horror movies of the 90s!!

Old 22nd June 2010, 11:18 PM
Active Cultist

Watched Green Zone tonight. Twas ok. Felt like an episode of '24' though.

Not particulary a bad thing.
Old 23rd June 2010, 08:02 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargento View Post
I think Blatty's Exorcist III is a terrific horror movie! Blatty's way of creating atmosphere and tension is fantastic ... although it did go to the Silly Ending Shop! But I still think it is overall one of the best horror movies of the 90s!!

I completely agree; I try to think of Exorcist III as he 'true' sequel to The Exorcist and forget that John Boorman's ghastly Exorcist II: The Heretic ever existed!

The only problem is the cast as, fine actor that he is, George C. Scott isn't Lee J. Cobb and it is slightly different to reconcile the two different actors playing Lt. Kinerman.
Old 23rd June 2010, 11:18 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

i watched EXAM last night, i quite like those kind of films where it's set in one room and everything goes to shit. Exam is no exception, it's well acted and cleverly written but does have some slight pot holes. the blurb on the back of the box says it's the usual Suspects meets SAW, it's not. it's like a film called The Killing Room about a test that went wrong. i recommend it as it's an interesting thriller which has shades of CUBE in it..
Old 24th June 2010, 12:14 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Hercules Against The Moon Men - Not really a fan of sword & sandal films, but I thought this was a lot of fun.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 24th June 2010, 06:56 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Zodiac
David Fincher's based on true events serial killer thriller is well acted by an ensamble cast but it does go on a bit. It runs for a little over two and a half hours and doesn't give you a satisfactory conclusion. (The killer has never been identified so how could it?) I can see why it got such critical acclaim, but I have to confess that it left me just a little cold. A longer "Director's Cut" does exist though I can't see myself having the desire to sit through this again just to compare the differences.

Shock
Mario Bava's final film, also known as "Beyond The Door 2", is a pretty standard ghost story with a creepy kid and a woman who is experiencing her guilt (She murdered her abusive husband.) through a series of strange dreams. There are few touches of Bava's magic and some of the directing was actualy handled by his son, but the bigest drawback is the fact that the film takes itself a little too seriously for what it is. The dubbed voice stuck on the kid is a bit annoying too.

Golden Ninja Warrior
Bad IFD film. Really bad. The Ninja action is played at double speed and although more of an attempt is made to intergrate it into the original film than most it just doesn't mix well at all. I love the way a puff of yellow smoke and normal dress becomes full Ninja outfit but this was just a little too much laugh at rather than laugh with for my enjoyment.

My style? .........You could call it the art of fighting without fighting!

Last edited by DeadAlive; 24th June 2010 at 12:19 PM. Reason: I'll call it a typo.
Old 24th June 2010, 11:34 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post
I completely agree; I try to think of Exorcist III as he 'true' sequel to The Exorcist and forget that John Boorman's ghastly Exorcist II: The Heretic ever existed!

The only problem is the cast as, fine actor that he is, George C. Scott isn't Lee J. Cobb and it is slightly different to reconcile the two different actors playing Lt. Kinerman.
I have some great memories of seeing Exorcist III for the first time, in the cinema. Remember the hospital corridor scene, that slowly builds tension? You hear a cracking noise, the nurse goes to investigate and we get a jump edit of a patient waking and surprising the nurse, and the audience. I sat laughing at the rest of the cinema jumping four feet in the air. How silly, I had thought. Then the scene carries on. When the killer with the shears came stalking the nurse from behind, ALL of us jumped! I missed four minutes of dialogue because we were all laughing at ourselves.

George C Scott seemed to be acting as if he was in a different movie most of the time, it was distracting. I still like the movie. I seem to recall that Blatty received studio interference that insisted he put in an exorcism. Their argument was that it was called the Exorcist III. The book was called Legion but that escaped them all.
Old 24th June 2010, 12:07 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I've also read that post, let's face it even with the studio's PR machine in full flow saying that 'From The Writer of the Exorcist Comes a New Tale of Terror', not many people would have gone to see a film called Legion.

Even with William Peter Blatty's name attached, The Ninth Configuration (a terrific and much overlooked movie) didn't exactly set the world alight, did it? I'm very pleased to say I have my DVD sleeve of that movie signed by Stacy Keach. I know the chances are very slim, but I wish they would re-release it with an anamorphic transfer.
Old 24th June 2010, 12:41 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromonkey View Post
i watched EXAM last night, i quite like those kind of films where it's set in one room and everything goes to shit. Exam is no exception, it's well acted and cleverly written but does have some slight pot holes. the blurb on the back of the box says it's the usual Suspects meets SAW, it's not. it's like a film called The Killing Room about a test that went wrong. i recommend it as it's an interesting thriller which has shades of CUBE in it..
I watched Exam recently too and agree with what you've said. Another film that is sort of similar is a Spanish movie called Fermat's Room which I also enjoyed.

I also watched Tom Savini's Night of the Living Dead recently. I thought it was a decent effort as far as remakes go but maybe that was more because of Tony Todd being in it.
What do you guys usually do for spoilers? I'll improvise for now.

****SPOILER ALERT****

Not much of a spoiler really but a question about the end. At the end they're hanging zombies from the trees and using them as target practice. I know I've seen this in a movie before but I'm sure it wasn't the original NOTLD. Any ideas anyone? I know I'm gonna feel like an idiot when I hear the answer.

Like this? Share it using the links below!