Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179015Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd January 2020, 06:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Lighthouse

Wasn't really "feeling" this follow up to The VVitch, so may try again laterer. Was it Dafoe's accent??

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 2nd January 2020, 06:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Monster Club. 1981.

A writer of horror stories in invited to a club and told three stories. A woman takes a job cataloguing books for a recluse who is hiding a secret. Second story a quiet boy bullied at school is told that his father was a count and is watched by a clergyman. Third story, a film director looking for a place to film his new movie finds a village populated by monsters.

Vincent Price plays the non lethal vampire and meets Author John Carradine who introduces him to the Monster Club. Both lead actors (although may be minor roles) seem to have great personalities to the charachters. All three stories last about 20 minutes and are very enjoyable with some last minute twists at the end. Donald Pleasance, Britt Eckland and Patrick Magee star alongside with some 80s pop.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200102_180225.jpg (28.0 KB, 33 views)
Old 2nd January 2020, 07:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
The Lighthouse

Wasn't really "feeling" this follow up to The VVitch, so may try again laterer. Was it Dafoe's accent??
It was pretty decent just not 100% sure what the whole point of the story was, left a tadge baffled.
Old 2nd January 2020, 07:39 PM
Cult Addict

Really pleased you liked "The white reindeer" Dem, as i found it enthralling when i saw it a few years back.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 2nd January 2020, 07:46 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
Really pleased you liked "The white reindeer" Dem, as i found it enthralling when i saw it a few years back.
Have you seen November, nos?

It was also released by Eureka this year and although made recently is practically a perfect viewing partner to The White Reindeer. It's definitely more bizarre.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/November-Du...2&s=dvd&sr=1-1
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 2nd January 2020, 07:48 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Tolkien (2019)

This biopic of JRR Tolkien is beautifully performed and staged but much like the work of the man himself, some passages are overlong - the Cellar Door sequence - whilst others could have done with expanding.

I didn't know an awful lot about the author of The Hobbit prior to this and to be honest i still don't, other than he made up languages and drank a lot with his toff mates at Oxford and lay wounded in a very muddy, very bloody trench at the Somme as visions of dragons and Mordor danced before his eyes in the smoky mist.

Having said that, i found the last half an hour quite an affecting watch and my final thoughts were that as with Tolkien's prose this film was all about friendship.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 220px-Tolkien_film_promotional_poster.jpg (19.0 KB, 4 views)
Old 2nd January 2020, 08:04 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Have you seen November, nos?

It was also released by Eureka this year and although made recently is practically a perfect viewing partner to The White Reindeer. It's definitely more bizarre.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/November-Du...2&s=dvd&sr=1-1
I hadn't even heard of it but looking at the synopsis it sounds like something i would enjoy. I've added it to my wish list.
Justin101 likes this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 2nd January 2020, 10:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Seven Dead In The Cat's Eye. 1973 (La Morte Negli Occhi Del Gatto).

In a small Scottish village, murdered bodies turn up and suspicion falls on the residents of a castle haunted by a Curse involving a cat.

Nice dark horror/giallo movie by Antonio Margheriti, this may not be perfect as it has the hallmarks of suspicious people, dark gothic castle and a ape that makes no sense to be there. Jane Birkin plays the young girl who returns to her family estate when people being killed around her. The aftermath of the killings is visible and briefly seen in blink and miss it moments. Does have its decent moments with a good cast and plot twists than can keep you guessing, entertaining.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (11.0 KB, 4 views)
Old 2nd January 2020, 10:47 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Seven Dead In The Cat's Eye. 1973 (La Morte Negli Occhi Del Gatto).

In a small Scottish village, murdered bodies turn up and suspicion falls on the residents of a castle haunted by a Curse involving a cat.

Nice dark horror/giallo movie by Antonio Margheriti, this may not be perfect as it has the hallmarks of suspicious people, dark gothic castle and a ape that makes no sense to be there. Jane Birkin plays the young girl who returns to her family estate when people being killed around her. The aftermath of the killings is visible and briefly seen in blink and miss it moments. Does have its decent moments with a good cast and plot twists than can keep you guessing, entertaining.
One of my fave Italian genre films.
nosferatu42 and MrBarlow like this.
Old 2nd January 2020, 11:07 PM
Cult Veteran

Little Women is fantastic, it's not remotely cult so I'll leave it there.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Like this? Share it using the links below!