All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179618Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th January 2020, 04:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Coherence (James Ward Birkit)

Just watched this. Worth a look .... Buffy alert, Xander's aw grown up now
Ahem. An evening in with some dear, close friends? What could possibly go wrong?
Well ....
Worth it, but needs a rewatch, like Primer did cough.
Would make a great double bill with The Invitation, though that's no spoiler , as it's nowt like that except superficially.
Ahem. Recommended.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 19th January 2020, 10:46 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

As Dem said it's feels like a totally different movie compared to George's bastardised versions, which I don't think I will ever watch again.

Think Disney could make a tonne of money if they released these on blu ray but of course that will never happen because of George being such a Helen Hunt with either destroying the originals or locking them away.

Strange behaviour for a man who once said films were the property of film goers and not the director, but hey since then he become ever thing he despised.

Now watching Laitude Zero.

Last edited by trebor8273; 19th January 2020 at 10:58 PM.
Old 20th January 2020, 05:37 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Woods (2006)

Lucky McKee's second horror film following the excellent May (2002) is an interesting but slow burn supernatural thriller which has echoes of Suspiria and Evil Dead but none of those films visceral thrills.

It's a nicely acted piece with great turns from Agnes Bruckner, Patricia Clarkson and Bruce Campbell in what is basically an elongated cameo. McKee gives the film a great atmosphere and kept my interest throughout as the secrets of Falburn girls academy are gradually unlocked.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51K5GYVoUfL._SY445_.jpg (33.0 KB, 8 views)
Old 20th January 2020, 06:12 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Collateral. 2004.

Max who drives a taxi in L.A. dreams of having his own Limo company, on a night shift, Vincent asks him to be his only fare for a fee of $600. What starts off normal becomes a eventful night for Max.

Director Michael Mann keeps up the tension of the film as Tom Cruise's character as Vincent who is a hit man doing his rounds and Max played by Jamie Foxx does his part well as man chasing his dream and questioning his fare. There is a good feel of atmosphere and good direction but the film seems to fall apart towards the end IMO.
Old 20th January 2020, 08:20 PM
Cult Acolyte

Taste the Blood of Dracula. A trio of "community pillars" who lead a hypocritical double life as hedonistic thrill-seekers are suckered into participating in a ritual to resurrect Count Dracula, who soon reigns down terror on them and their families as a thank you. The 5th Hammer Dracula is better than the disappointing Dracula Has Risen from the Grave - which I actually turned off on account of being so dull - not least thanks to a very impressive cast including Peter Sallis, Russell Hunter, Isla Blair and Martin Jarvis and other familiar British actors, and a more interesting story. Taste also looks absolutely fabulous on Blu ray for a now 50 year old movie, and is let down only by a "WTH that was easy" ending and a trait of the mid-term Dracula movies, the lack of a strong hero (Peter Cushing is very much needed at this point). Generally rather good though.
Old 20th January 2020, 08:30 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

White House Down. 2013.

While on tour of the White House, a Capitol policeman tries to protect the president and save the hostages one of them his daughter from a group of mercenaries.

Aside from having a good cast from James Woods, Jamie Foxx, Jason Clarke and Channing Tatum, this was a slow burner from the start and didn't really get any better as it went on. Some action movies do have little funny one liners this one seems to have a lot that are not really rib tickling. Roland Emmerich that was known as the master of disaster, was he on something when he made this, don't get me wrong the visual effects were decent but that's the only thing that was good about this film.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WHITE-HOUSE-DOWN-MAIN-IMAGE1.jpg (62.6 KB, 6 views)
Old 20th January 2020, 09:53 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Shorter than the original Japanese version with the anti war/ nuclear message gone, it's faster paced but the scenes added with Raymond Burr are quite jarring at times and he's rather dull and boring. 6.5/10

Godzilla is back , well sort of as it's a new Godzilla as the first was destroyed with the oxygen destroyer . how will it be stopped this time as the secret of the oxygen destroyer was lost to make matters worse another beastie Anguirus is also on the loose and it a way is not found to stop these two they will destroy Japan . 7/10

Last edited by trebor8273; 20th January 2020 at 10:12 PM.
Old 20th January 2020, 10:20 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Alligator People (1959)

Run of the mill mad scientist creates mutation movie most notable i think for starring character actor George Macready as the mad scientist. There are a couple of decent swamp scenes but the alligator people, or should i say person, doesn't actually appear until the final seconds and looks less than impressive at that.

Having said that i just know i'll be watching it again at some point as i love shit like this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51hy+vN52TL.jpg (58.8 KB, 6 views)
Old 20th January 2020, 10:40 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Coherence (James Ward Birkit)

Just watched this. Worth a look .... Buffy alert, Xander's aw grown up now
Ahem. An evening in with some dear, close friends? What could possibly go wrong?
Well ....
Worth it, but needs a rewatch, like Primer did cough.
Would make a great double bill with The Invitation, though that's no spoiler , as it's nowt like that except superficially.
Ahem. Recommended.
I watched this movie, and I remember was quiet good, but I don't remember nothing about it! LOL maybe need to rewatched it.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 21st January 2020, 04:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Enjoy!!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!