All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179612Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st February 2020, 09:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Hail as always sir!! Spookies haunted me from the VHS days, is it any brighter now, I kind of remember a very dark little thing??
The new VS blu looks fantastic! I really enjoyed Spookies but it made no sense at all haha.
Demoncrat likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 1st February 2020, 11:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

That's what I remember also . Good old Palace ahaha.

Bliss (Joe Begos)

What a horrible colour. At least it's not PINK .
Gather ye, and listen.
An artist has to meet a deadline?
What is this? Fellini???
Short and sour, this tale of excess and paint is a bit redundant for a Burroughs fan, sorry and all that, but that's the routine here. Did she see something fatal? Or is it overindulgence? Thankfully you don't have too long to wait to find out ...? Hmmm.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 1st February 2020, 11:49 PM
Cult Veteran

I just saw a screenshot of Bliss and the protagonist was wearing a Death Waltz Records T-Shirt and I was instantly turned off haha. One of those modern self aware films lol...
Demoncrat likes this.

Old 2nd February 2020, 01:48 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

It Chapter Two. 2019.

When the Losers Club defeated Pennywise when they were teens, they made a pact to come back. 27 years later they come back to put a end to it all.

Aside from having a good cast and a small cameo by Stephen King, this was a bit of a disappointment to the next chapter and weird ass ending that im sure it was different from the book (it has been a while since i read the book). Bill Skarksard returns to the role of Pennywise and more creepy but with the CGI effects somewhat made it stupid and too much comedy moments made it hard to rake it seriously.
Old 2nd February 2020, 01:57 AM
Cult Veteran

I agree, I didn't love chapter two at all, the adults party of the book/mini series was always the worst anyway, but this one has far too much in the way of CGI and it doesn't look good at all.

Only watched it a few weeks ago but I think I might give it another chance in the next couple of weeks and see if I was just in a funny mood.
Frankie Teardrop and MrBarlow like this.

Old 2nd February 2020, 08:27 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Hail as always sir!! Spookies haunted me from the VHS days, is it any brighter now, I kind of remember a very dark little thing??
I can only echo Justin's view i.e the VS restoration looks superb. Such a weird little film, surprised I'd never caught it prior to now. I have to hand it to VS, they do put out stuff that would've just completely disappeared if a consensus-dominated market prevailed absolutely (the likes of 'Disconnected' for example). They go a lot further than, say, Arrow and a lot of the others in that regard. If only they would put out Rinse Dream's 'Dr Caligari', it almost feels like a prototypical VS film in a way, but one that has no presence in terms of the current AV media (as far as I know). I'm sure there's a reason for that, otherwise it'd be available.

I read your comments on 'The Colour Out of Space.' Aww, is it that much of a disappointment? I was really looking forward to it. I've never seen a Richard Stanley film that I've truly liked, but felt sure that this was going to be the one. Maybe the combination of Cage and Lovecraft violates some universal unstated taboo.
Old 2nd February 2020, 10:33 AM
Cult Acolyte

[SPOILERS] I watched The Zero Boys last night for the first time ever, and whilst I enjoyed it for the most part, I couldn't help thinking it was a massively missed opportunity to produce an exploitation minor classic. A combination of elements from The MOst Dangerous Game, Deliverance and Snuff, there was some fleetingly, effective nasty imagery e.g. dead girl in a trunk, girl in chair with plastic bag over her head but there wasn't enough of this and the snuff movie premise wasn't explored in any depth. In addition, dramatic effect was lessened by separating the characters towards the end. Having 5 characters survive was also a poor writing faux pas of extraordinary naivety and reduced the exploitation level considerably. A higher body count would have helped no end. Can't help thinking that there was something nastier envisaged but was compromised by the need to get an R rating?
Old 2nd February 2020, 03:28 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Dr. Crippen (1963)

A biopic of the notorious Dr. Crippen, a real-life Edwardian doctor who was hanged in 1910 for the murder of his wife.

The plot intertwines Crippen's court case with events leading up to the murder and totally dispels any tension because of it, the end result coming over as more melodrama than anything remotely gripping.

The direction is fine and Nick Roeg's crisp black and white camera work occasionally provides a bit of atmosphere but the fact the film portrays Crippen as downtrodden rather than as a cunning murderer proves problematic, indeed the crime might have taken place by accident according to the film.

Donald Pleasence in the title role is good as always as is Samantha Egger as his mistress and Coral Browne as Crippen's domineering wife but as the credits role as Crippen is hung the overwhelming feel is one of 'What could have been?' rather than what we actually saw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg download.jpg (13.2 KB, 3 views)
Old 2nd February 2020, 03:46 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

November (Rainier Sarnet)

Finally got to see this. An unusual tale of regret and tradition gone askew. Estonian you say? Break out the popcorn then. Or not, as the dialogue is quite hushed. It's a tale as old as time. Featuring the most unique "creatures", this is a hard one to recommend, a hard one not to recommend. Ooooh, I could crush an alpaca
Attached Images
File Type: jpg N.jpg (8.8 KB, 3 views)

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 2nd February 2020, 05:14 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
November (Rainier Sarnet)

Finally got to see this. An unusual tale of regret and tradition gone askew. Estonian you say? Break out the popcorn then. Or not, as the dialogue is quite hushed. It's a tale as old as time. Featuring the most unique "creatures", this is a hard one to recommend, a hard one not to recommend. Ooooh, I could crush an alpaca
I've not got around to giving my disc a spin yet, it's one of the few I've not packed away yet so I might get around to it shortly I'm sure. If I remember correctly the running time had put me off, sometimes you just want 90 minutes or less!
Demoncrat likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!