Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179515Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd February 2020, 12:26 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Thing. 2011.

Paleontologist Kate Lloyd is asked to join a team of Norwegians in Antarctica to help uncover something that has been buried, unaware that the alien they have uncovered is slowly thawing out and awakens.

Prequel to the John Carpenter 1982 classic film, this has a good sorted bunch of acting and plot story to it that made it exciting when it was announced, (finally we get to see what happened to the first team). Only downside i hated, $38.000.000 budget and all they gave us was CGI effects that looked naff, Carpenter had a smaller budget and was able to do it the way we loved animatronics and they were more believable and more scary.
Old 3rd February 2020, 12:57 AM
Cult Addict

I'm pretty sure the makers wanted to do the effects using prosthetics and the producers wanted CGI or something along those lines, i remember seeing some test footage somewhere online i think.

I didn't mind the film, it was acted well enough but agree it would have been much more effective with old school effects.

Just found this video where it talks about the original effects -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?time_co...ature=emb_logo

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 3rd February 2020, 02:13 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Thing. 1982.

An American team fend off a shape shifting creature that attacked a Norwegian post in Antarctica.

This is a true science-fiction horror classic that had the elements of the original, from a good story, well acted, great effects (kudos to Rob Bottin) and well crafted atmospheric location with a bland of paranoia. I'm not gonna say anything that hasn't been said before, except to John Carpenter for this awesome movie.
Old 3rd February 2020, 02:27 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
I'm pretty sure the makers wanted to do the effects using prosthetics and the producers wanted CGI or something along those lines, i remember seeing some test footage somewhere online i think.

I didn't mind the film, it was acted well enough but agree it would have been much more effective with old school effects.

Just found this video where it talks about the original effects -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?time_co...ature=emb_logo
That was interesting, just a shame the Studio went in a different direction with the effects and ending, the guys that done the effects, were right to be pissed off. It is worth to mention Harbinger Down was a decent movie and worth a glance.
Old 3rd February 2020, 05:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Loreley's Grasp (1974, Amando de Ossorio)

Another viewing of this odd little flick. When a girls (COUGH) college is threatened by an unseen madman (man???), a body guard is hired.
Featuring the stunning Silvia Tortosa as a rather prim teacher, this is rather relevant somewhat as female empowerment is high on the agenda, plus a pool so there is plenty of totty on show for unreconstructed types also .
Great atmosphere and deaths make this a crying shame of it's absence in HD. Grrrrr etc.
Highly recommended!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 3rd February 2020, 07:20 PM
Cult Addict

The Lighthouse
2 wickies are sent to a lighthouse on a lonely island, one of which has to do menial hard labor tasks while the other guards the light. Throughout they both try to keep grasp on their sanity
Um, what was this film? A horror? Strong performances from both Defoe and Pattinson and we also learn how to have sex with mermaids.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 3rd February 2020, 07:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Whoever Slew Auntie Roo? 1971.

Children from an orphanage are invited to Christmas party at a American Widower's house unaware of what she is hiding in her attic.

Gritty British horror with Shelley Winters as the lovable Auntie Roo, who opens her house every Christmas to kids unaware she is a bit disturbed. Michael Gothard plays her butler, who seems like a good guy but slowly becoming unbalanced. This is like a version of Hansel and Gretel but a bit darker with Mark Lester and Chloe Franks playing the siblings. This does have its slow pace and builds up well with its suspense and tension moments.
Old 3rd February 2020, 09:08 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Mu empire ( a eastern Atlantis type culture ) start attacking the surface world , our only hope lies with super sub Atragon and her captain , but first it has to be found and her crazy patriotic captain needs to convinced he needs to.help the entire world and not just Japan , luckily captains daughter has been brought to the slaughter and is kidnapped, forcing her father to take action.

Another enjoyable Toho film, I never grow bored of them! 7/10

Now watching

Don't know why but I get more enjoyment from films like this than any multi-million blockbuster.
Old 3rd February 2020, 09:20 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

The Mu empire ( a eastern Atlantis type culture ) start attacking the surface world , our only hope lies with super sub Atragon and her captain , but first it has to be found and her crazy patriotic captain needs to convinced he needs to.help the entire world and not just Japan , luckily captains daughter has been brought to the slaughter and is kidnapped, forcing her father to take action.

Another enjoyable Toho film, I never grow bored of them! 7/10

Now watching

Don't know why but I get more enjoyment from films like this than any multi-million blockbuster.
Could be because they remind us of our childhood and not much OTT acting and funny effects
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 3rd February 2020, 09:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Isn't because they are just so damn entertaining t??

Unlike the awful FF drivel I've just sat through.
Incident At Montauk
A lone goober wanders onto a "disused" military base in search of UFO stuff and t'ing. Naturally he has his camera with him. Not a decent scare in 80 minutes!! Just a very predictable "twist". Illogical within the constraints of the genre. By Cthulhu I miss The G String Horror, as at least that was funny.
Next!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!