Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Slippery Jack 18th February 2013 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 322636)
It had me laughing out loud, considering how depressed i've been lately it really did cheer me up no end.

Yeah I laughed everytime he appeared! The rest of the film didn't do it for me, unfortunately. Still, 1 and 2 are an awesome double bill :cool: . . .

What happened with that job exam thing btw . . . ?

Prince_Vajda 18th February 2013 09:35 PM

All The Boys Love Mandy Lane (2007). 1/2 out of * * * *

Horrible. A waste of time. Half of a star for a cute-looking Amber Heard, though. The final twist is a farce - don't waste your time pondering on the question "Why?"...I did, and I still don't have the slightest clue...

Greetings!

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th February 2013 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda (Post 322644)
All The Boys Love Mandy Lane (2007). 1/2 out of * * * *

Horrible. A waste of time. Half of a star for a cute-looking Amber Heard, though. The final twist is a farce - don't waste your time pondering on the question "Why?"...I did, and I still don't have the slightest clue...

Greetings!

I can't remember much about it apart from some running through fields i think.

I seem to recall quite liking it though.

keirarts 18th February 2013 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 322637)
Yeah I laughed everytime he appeared! The rest of the film didn't do it for me, unfortunately. Still, 1 and 2 are an awesome double bill :cool: . . .

What happened with that job exam thing btw . . . ?

Not heard about the results to that yet. I do have an interview for a job with lloyds tsb, its an hour commute but should be good money working for the man and fleecing them taxpayers;) (wont say that in the interview!)

Finished up the evening with DEATH SHIP.

Scorpions blu has different features to the nucleus dvd, so dont get rid of your old copies, but its region free and looks supurb.

Some films get by on a supurb location alone, and death ship with its eerie creaking old nazi vessel aided by a great score oozes atmosphere. Another old classic I used to own on vhs, this is a highly reccomended little horror movie.

Criterion7 18th February 2013 11:44 PM

DREDD

Wish I had gone to theatre. This is an incredible movie. Love this style and I really hope this is the start of a trilogy.

Linbro 19th February 2013 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 322663)
Not heard about the results to that yet. I do have an interview for a job with lloyds tsb, its an hour commute but should be good money working for the man and fleecing them taxpayers;) (wont say that in the interview!)

Finished up the evening with DEATH SHIP.

Scorpions blu has different features to the nucleus dvd, so dont get rid of your old copies, but its region free and looks supurb.

Some films get by on a supurb location alone, and death ship with its eerie creaking old nazi vessel aided by a great score oozes atmosphere. Another old classic I used to own on vhs, this is a highly reccomended little horror movie.

Good news re. 'DeathShip' - the blu is on its way to me at the moment.
Good luck with the interview!

buggenhagen 19th February 2013 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Criterion7 (Post 322667)
DREDD

Wish I had gone to theatre. This is an incredible movie. Love this style and I really hope this is the start of a trilogy.

Watched it on blu recently and completely agree - really wish I'd seen it in the cinema. Loved it from start to finish, as did my wife (which was a surprise!)

Unfortunately I believe the chances of a sequel (let alone the planned trilogy) are slim due to it doing so badly in the States. I specifically bought the blu (instead of waiting to rent) to show my support and hopefully bump up their return. I think I even read that they've recently auctioned off all the props which is never a good sign. Shame.

Metallicbomb 19th February 2013 01:29 AM

Just watched
Inside
Livid
2 very good French horrors
Relay looking forward to what these directors do in the future:popcorn:.

davcol 19th February 2013 02:31 AM

Been watching the old channel 4 documentary series Eurotica and id forgotten just how great it is. Its a shame theres nothing on normal telly like these kinds of shows these days.
This led me to watching a couple of Jess Franco films Devil Hunter and Oasis of zombies. Devil Hunter always gets slated but i have a soft spot for it ( love the vietnam flashback scene that you can hear but not see lol ). The Severin dvd is top quality as well. Oasis of Zombies was not as good and i would like to see the spanish version to see if its any better.
I plan to get hold of some Mario Bava next as ive only seen Bay of Blood and his earlier stuff looks interesting.

nekromantik 19th February 2013 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggenhagen (Post 322672)
Watched it on blu recently and completely agree - really wish I'd seen it in the cinema. Loved it from start to finish, as did my wife (which was a surprise!)

Unfortunately I believe the chances of a sequel (let alone the planned trilogy) are slim due to it doing so badly in the States. I specifically bought the blu (instead of waiting to rent) to show my support and hopefully bump up their return. I think I even read that they've recently auctioned off all the props which is never a good sign. Shame.

Hopefully DVD/Blu sales are high enough to warrant a sequel!
This was a great flick and I missed it in the cinemas too! :(

Hawkmonger 19th February 2013 08:40 AM

Don't worry lads, I went often enough to pay off your own money!:lol:
Alex Garland took £15 out of my balance and i'm GLAD!:pound:

PaulD 19th February 2013 08:59 AM

Would have done better if it hadn't been done in 3D.

Truefax.

trebor8273 19th February 2013 11:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
yesterdays viewings.

Lost in translation- fantastic film great performances from Bill Murray and Scarlett Johansson

Ghosthouse- awful acting but surprisingly creepy and atmospheric

vampyres daughters of Dracula- still unsure of this movie

Delta Force- what can i say about this amazing film that's not been said already, its never going to win any awards but who cares when its so fun, this film has it all mullets, car chases, motorbikes that fire rockets, lee Marvin, George Kennedy, political incorrectness, explosions and did i say mullets?

Justin101 19th February 2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 322708)
Lost in translation- fantastic film great performances from Bill Murray and Scarlett Johansson

You'll never be able to hear Scarborough Fair and keep a straight face again :lol:

Yesterday I started my Kevin Smith-O-Rama and feel I may have made it too easy since I watched Clerks and Mallrats in 1 day so there are only 8 films left, I'll be doing Chasing Amy and Dogma later today which I'm looking forward to as these are his 2 best films :D :popcorn:

I watched Mallrats not very long ago when it was on TV, I reviewed it on Letterboxd and gave it 2.5/5 I must have been having a bad day because it's clearly a 4 star film :lol: I've seen it so many times since it came out I know all the words - Clerks too, I forgot just how easy it is to watch that film, although you do sit there hating Dante for most of it and rooting for Randal :pound: I find it too cute that Jason Mewes is clearly trying VERY hard to remember his lines too. :cool:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 19th February 2013 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 322708)

I'm glad you weren't disappointed and our recommendations proved to be accurate. It's a film which stands up to repeated viewings really well and shows Bill Murray is really funny when he's playing a character with deadpan delivery.

Beyond72 19th February 2013 12:26 PM

I have been watching

BERBERIAN SOUND STUDIO

&

SUSPIRIA

:tongue1:

PaulD 19th February 2013 12:36 PM

Hitchcock: not as interesting as The Girl which you can't help but compare it to, the latter of which has a better story regardless of truth It's enjoyable enough but very light and throwaway with not much to say. Wasn't keen on the inference that the intensity of the shower scene filming was due to Hitch's marriage frustrations which seemed like dramatic invention and negates the role that the editing of the sequence plays.

Blood and Black Lace: I'm a huge gialli fan and have seen most of, if not all, the relevant works of Argento, Fulci, Lenzi, Martino etc but I've only seen a handful of Bava's films. I know. The shame, the shame. I really enjoyed this; it was pretty by-the-numbers as far as these things go but looked beautiful and proves Bava as a true master of the genre with an incredible eye for filmmaking. Really stylish.

Beyond72 19th February 2013 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 322741)

Blood and Black Lace: I'm a huge gialli fan and have seen most of, if not all, the relevant works of Argento, Fulci, Lenzi, Martino etc but I've only seen a handful of Bava's films. I know. The shame, the shame. I really enjoyed this; it was pretty by-the-numbers as far as these things go but looked beautiful and proves Bava as a true master of the genre with an incredible eye for filmmaking. Really stylish.

I adore Blood & Black Lace. Such a special film. Its like some trashy crime paperback come to life for me and you really get a sense that Bava was doing something so daring for it's time. Yet no matter how mean-spirited things get, he never takes it too seriously and finishes with a signature almost poetic ending.

Slippery Jack 19th February 2013 01:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beyond72 (Post 322748)
Its like some trashy crime paperback come to life.

That's so true :lol: You could pick any frame from the film and stick it on one of those yellow paperback covers :nod: . . .

PaulD 19th February 2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beyond72 (Post 322748)
I adore Blood & Black Lace. Such a special film. Its like some trashy crime paperback come to life for me and you really get a sense that Bava was doing something so daring for it's time. Yet no matter how mean-spirited things get, he never takes it too seriously and finishes with a signature almost poetic ending.

Yeah, I wish it had been one of the first gialli I'd seen to be honest, for context if nothing else.

Baseball Fury 19th February 2013 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 322690)
Don't worry lads, I went often enough to pay off your own money!:lol:
Alex Garland took £15 out of my balance and i'm GLAD!:pound:

You went twice then, haha

gag 19th February 2013 02:31 PM

Watched abc of death last night
The whole concept of the film sounds and comes across as a good concept
Like most Anthology films you get a Majority of good ones that over rule the minority of bad ones,
But having 26 5min short stories you realy are going to get one hell of a mixed and bag of short films and thats exactly what you get.
Only problem is this is the other way round you get a majority of rubbish over ruling the minority of good ones.
Take f for fart for eg wtf was the director of this high on drugs at the time,
And Z as well these two stories would be more sutable for a to z of ****ed up dreams..
There wasnt realy to many outstanding films imo but the ones that where realy stood out like dogfight, nuptials and xxl.
Unless you have some understand of japanese and world cinema some of these you really couldnt watch with friends who dont, like labido without being classsed as some sort weirdo or sicko but some stories try to hard to be that weird i just didnt get certain points like labido with the eye between the women legs what was that all about,
Miscarriage was realy just plain lazy like director couldnt be botherd doing, and the average joe bloggs of the street could have done a better job
Chances are if you sit down with friends who dont get the concept of these type of films you would be accused of watching some rubbish (in polite terms) and to be truthfull they wouldnt be that far wrong i give this good concept and idea a thumbs down and 4/5 out of ten it was only a few decent stories that saved me from giving it less marks..

Prince_Vajda 19th February 2013 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 322656)
I can't remember much about it apart from some running through fields i think.

I seem to recall quite liking it though.

Except for Amber and a nice grainy look with lens flare effects, there's nothing to like about this movie, I'm afraid... :p

Greetings!

Criterion7 19th February 2013 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 322694)
Would have done better if it hadn't been done in 3D.

Truefax.

I get what you are saying but the slo mo drug concept was definitely made for 3D.

trebor8273 19th February 2013 07:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
just finished watching this and what a fantastic little film. found it to be very atmospheric, disturbing and even terrifying in places. long time since I've watched a film and felt disturbed and uneasy after watching it. :eek:

Dave Boy 19th February 2013 07:49 PM

The Viking Queen (1967)

You know, I really like this film from HAMMER. It gets a bit of a bad rap but I can see nothing wrong with the film. My only issue would be that ending seems quite rushed. Carita looks fabulous.....what's not to like ?

wongfeihung62 19th February 2013 08:11 PM

BLACK SUNDAY
GODZILLA VS BIOLLANTE

Edgeworth 19th February 2013 08:41 PM

Past 3 nights I watched...

Black Sunday
Classic movie (Bava's 2nd best), good transfer, good job Arrow.

Lisa & The Devil
First time viewing, it was... ok. I don't really know what was happening half the time but the extras cleared some of it up for me. :lol: House of Exorcism looks like a crazy cut but I think it'll be a while until I watch it.

Touch of Evil
Awesome movie, Welles' character is one of my favourites in any movie!

JoshuaKaitlyn 19th February 2013 11:31 PM

Battleship Potemkin (1925) Great Movie
The Joyless Street (1925) My version is cut down to an hour!
The Big Parade (1925) Enjoyable

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/memb...tml#post322879

ThePopeofCOSDS 20th February 2013 01:59 AM

Byleth - Probably the best movie about an incestuous demon I have ever seen. Also the only one. Church Review

Metallicbomb 20th February 2013 03:48 AM

Just finished watching the finale in my French marathon
Tonight from 8pm - 3.30am
I watched
Prey
Frontiers
The Pack
Amer
:popcorn:

Justin101 20th February 2013 07:52 AM

Chasing Amy

Kevin Smith Project session 3

Banky Edwards: This is all gonna end badly.

Kevin Smith grows up, kinda, and makes a very personal film and probably my favourite of all. It doesn't have as much quotable dialogue as some of his others, probably because everything that can be said in 5 words is said in 15... It's evident that Smith loves words.

We're only 3 films in and already there are in jokes everywhere you look and all the characters are intertwined. I'm sure you could watch this film without seeing Clerks or Mallrats but you're certainly rewarded if you have done. It's not just nods to his own films either, the homage to Jaws stands out with the hilarious scene of sex wound comparisons.

Great film, and spoiler, it doesn't have a happy ending.

Delirium 20th February 2013 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 322741)

Beautiful, isn't it? I don't know if I'd call it 'by the numbers' exactly, when it was one of the films writing the rulebook, but I know what you mean - it's certainly archetypal. When I started watching gialli, B&BL and The Girl Who Knew Too Much, were two of the first I saw. Since then I haven't adhered so strictly to the chronology.

Demoncrat 20th February 2013 11:56 AM

rewatched The Big Zapper (Lindsay Shonteff, 1974), truly I cannot recommend this enough, they really don't make 'em like this any more....;);)

trebor8273 20th February 2013 12:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
watched these yesterday

spookies- OK some ok special effects and deaths, but poor acting and it was about as scary as a episode of scooby doo!

Hellinger- truly awful movie, terrible acting, looked like it was being filmed from a handheld video camera, only manged to watch 20 minutes and that was 19 minutes and 59 seconds to long. one of worsted films i have ever seen!

Beast from 20000 fathoms- one of my favorite 50s monster movies along with Them and some of Harryhausens best work. so many classic set pieces a true classic.

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th February 2013 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 322917)
rewatched The Big Zapper (Lindsay Shonteff, 1974), truly I cannot recommend this enough, they really don't make 'em like this any more....;);)

They don't put em' on dvd either. :rolleyes:

keirarts 20th February 2013 04:43 PM

Ticks [Blu-ray] [1993] [US Import]: Amazon.co.uk: Seth Green, Alfonso Ribeiro, Tony Randel, Ami Dolenz, Rosalind Allen: Film & TV

Just watched ticks, in a bid to get back into writing while I have spare time I knocked out a review on amazon (when it gets put up) but worth saying here the blu-ray is locked to region A. Shame as I really enjoy it and think its one the younger fans on here (who didn't rent it when they were 13!) should check out!:popcorn:

demonknight 20th February 2013 05:05 PM

Watched The Mummy's Shroud over the weekend and today I saw
an episode of Monsters.A tv series from 1987/88.
Not bad but not as good as i remembered.
TMS was good, really enjoyed it.
Hopefully the Monsters series will improve,love the very cheesy music.

Demoncrat 20th February 2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 322943)

How true. :mmph:

mr 420 20th February 2013 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 322943)

It's Shonteff's son who has the rights and wants silly money for them. How Sleep The Brave (Quality film!) is out on R2, but that is a cheap boot. I would love to see a Shonteff boxset with The Big Zapper, HSTB etc, etc. Alas, I don't think that will come to fruition any time soon.