Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179475Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd February 2020, 11:19 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Tony (2011, Gerard Johnson)

This was a nice little find. A loner barely manages to keep his head above water, what with snide DSS staff and the local "hard man" on his case on top of everything.
How his coping mechanism interferes with his social interactions is a small wonder to behold. Economical (75 min if that) and even if I can't reaaally call it the UK Henry after all, I'll have a bloody good try! Come on then!

Recommended!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 4th February 2020, 12:20 AM
Cult Addict

MV5BMjQ2MTIyNjM2MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDE3NDMyNjM@._V1_.jpg

Right so the new Suspiria,

Ok it's never gonna be the lighting in the bottle that was the original but i like the new film alot.
It's oddly arthouse, it takes it's time and does its own thing but keeps the general idea intact.

In some ways this new version makes more sense than the original, ( face facts the original Suspiria is totally style over substance. filmmaking.. ) dance has always been part of the witches ritual, and it puts that at the forefront.

What i respect about the new film is that it spends 2 hours of film building up an art house serious vibe then spends 10 minutes in total sleeze/ blood.

I like that.

The volk soundtrack song kinda reminds me of the Goblin soundtrack in it's dissonance.

I don't know, this is the second time watching this film and i think it deserves some kind of respect for not just being a shit remake, i think it was made out of respect for the original and the filmmaker knew it was never going to be the same so said screw it.

In my opinion it's a good film in itself and should be judged on its own terms.
It's not perfect but it's certainly not the film you would expect and if you give yourself over to it as it weaves its own spell.

It expands on the original idea and in some ways channels the "Inferno" witch at the end and the orgiastic finale of "Mother of Tears" but better, the thing is if Argento even got close to making a new film as competent as this we'd all be spanking the monkey.

I like it.

8/10

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.

Last edited by nosferatu42; 4th February 2020 at 03:39 PM.
Old 4th February 2020, 12:29 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
Right so the new Suspiria,

Ok it's never gonna be the lighting in the bottle that was the original but i like the new film alot.
It's oddly arthouse, it takes it's time and does its own thing but keeps the general idea intact.

In some ways this new version makes more sense than the original, ( face facts the original Suspiria is totally style over substance. filmmaking.. ) the dance has always been part of the witches ritual, and it puts that at the forefront.

What i respect about the new film is that it spends 2 hours of film building up an art house serious vibe then spends 10 minutes in total sleeze/ blood.

I like that.

The volk soundtrack song kinda reminds me of the Goblin soundtrack in it's dissonance.

I don't know, this is the second time watching this film and i think it deserves some kind of respect for not just being a shit remake, i think it was made out of respect for the original and the filmmaker knew it was never going to be the same so said **** it.

In my opinion it's a good film in itself and should be judged on its own terms.
,it's not perfect but it's certainly not the film you would expect and if you give yourself over to it as it weaves it's own spell.

It expands on the original idea and in some ways channels the "Inferno" witch and the orgiastic finale of "Mother of Tears" but better, the thing is if Argento even got close to making a new film as competent as this we'd all be spanking the monkey.

I like it.

8/10
I saw it when it came out on BD and gave a low rating, but after this comment and Dem's view is making me want to give it another glance, second time may be better than the first.
Old 4th February 2020, 12:38 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Legend of the werewolf. 1975

A travelling circus in 19th century France adopts and showcases a feral wolf boy, who grows into adulthood only to kill the one man band. He runs off to Paris, where he develops a jealous, overprotective crush on a prostitute, leading him to attack her client, incurring a pursuit by a determined police surgeon.

This may not be a classic as the actors seems to tred on each other's toes and over act a bit too much, this isn't a Hammer film but a clone to the great studio itself tying to outsmart and trying to do better. The plot of the story was good from the start with the narration and how the legend began, and to have Peter Cushing was it's savior and some good visual effects with the transformation. Think this is another like or hate movie.
Old 4th February 2020, 12:52 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
I saw it when it came out on BD and gave a low rating, but after this comment and Dem's view is making me want to give it another glance, second time may be better than the first.
I wasn't sure what to make of it at the cinema, but if you take it as it's own film it's pretty mental.
MrBarlow likes this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 4th February 2020, 12:58 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
I wasn't sure what to make of it at the cinema, but if you take it as it's own film it's pretty mental.
Will take your advice on it that way Nos when i was watching it i kept on thinking of the original and not the best way to do it.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 4th February 2020, 02:25 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Trilogy Of Terror. 1975.

Three different stories, starring Karen black.

1st. A college professor reluctanly agrees to go on a date with her student, when she passes out he takes photos of her in hoping to blackmail but the professor turns the table.

2nd. A sister plans to kill her evil sibling while a doctor who has treated both siblings since their childhood tries to encourage her not to.

3rd. A woman buys a African Zuni doll for her boyfriend that comes to life and hunt her in the apartment.

Films like these don't rely on good old special effects but good acting provided by Karen Black who plays four roles in this, Dan Curtis directed this TV movie based on the writing of Richard Matheson with endings that give out unexpected twists and the Zuni doll was a little bit freaky to see when you were young. George Gaynes provided a good role in the second story which seemed a bit predictable. They may seem to be a slow start but each is enjoyable to watch.
Old 4th February 2020, 04:16 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Trilogy Of Terror II. 1966.

Three more stories of horror and suspense.

1st. An adulteress wife kills her husband, when she and her lover plan to collect the insurance money they have to find a piece of microfilm that may be buried with him.

2nd. A mother tries witchcraft to bring her dead son back,but he has changed.

3rd. The second story to the Zuni doll after Amelia is found dead and the doll seems to regenerate itself and looking for a new body.

The long awaited Tv movie sequel...or is it? Lysette Anthony takes the lead with all three stories With Geoffrey Lewis playing the creepy caretaker of the cemetary in the first segment. The second story seems a bit more stronger attitude to it and more straight up tense moments as to the third its more laughable than horror. It is entertaining, and the stories last longer than the predecessor film, don't get your hopes up if you are looking for thrills and chills.
Old 4th February 2020, 02:28 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

ddd_802x535_quartet_r01_01_june14.jpg

The world has tilted off its axis after years of polar fracking throwing the world all out of whack. Daylight switches to darkness whenever it feels like it the sky has a strange glow and animals are acting strange this won't end well. In a small sleepy town of Centerville the dead start rising from the grave and it's up to the small sheriff's department to protect the locals.

Im a big fan of Jim Jarmusch and his style of directing as everyone knows here i adore Dead Man. If you are aware of Jims films then you know what to expect the comedy is deadpan as is the delivery of any of the other dialogue and every actor here does an amazing job with their delivery. This style is not for everyone it has a Twin Peaks vibe but i can see how some may find it long winded and boring even wandering aimlessly.

When it comes to the look and makeup for the zombies they look brilliant and when they are killed instead of blood and guts we get black dust flying out of them it was something fresh really liked how it was done and it was something different. Iggy Pop is bloody hilarious are a zombie he only says coffee but just looking at him had me laughing hard

Coffee leads me on nicely to something else i really liked just like George A Romero's films the undead are attracted you what they knew before they died creatures of habits hearing the zombies call out their favourite things worked to great comedy effect. "Candy Candy" " Power Tools Power Tools" "Coffee Coffee"

Overall very entertaining and very funny but not for everyone so approach with caution.

7/10
Old 4th February 2020, 02:51 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

0_VGfPdxOxKRLmCC_T.jpg

Tallahassee, Columbus, Wichita and Little Rock are back this time the destination is Graceland. While hold up in The White House Little Rock is getting bored and over crowded by Tallahassee she feels smothered by his emotions and over protection of her becoming too much of a father figure and treating her like a daughter that she cant handle so she takes off after meeting a pacifist hippy and stealing The Beast. Tallahassee is sent into mourning for the loss of the beast but he is almost driving into a murderous rage when his finds out she has run off with a pacifist

Double Tap continues with the fun gore and loveable characters and more rules of the first film adding in a couple of great cameos and a couple of more additions to the group.Double tap didn't fall into the trap of replicating the first film relying on jokes from the past instead it created new fun situations and fresh jokes. The standout in these films is always Woody Harrelson i just love him in everything he is in a great comedy actor and equally a great serious actor and just so damn likeable.

Watch until after the credits

8/10

Like this? Share it using the links below!