Like Tree179482Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th February 2020, 01:52 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Us (2019) ★★★★

Challenging, thought-provoking, and incredibly well made, this is a film I'll need to watch it several times before deciding what it means (or means to me anyway).

Lupita Nyong'o is phenomenal in this confounding critique and commentary on sociopolitical issues in the US, both modern day and from previous centuries, and I adored the score which seamlessly wove in and out of scenes whilst embracing and enhancing diagenetic music from notably Luniz and N.W.A

I don't want to compare this to Get Out because I wanted to enjoy it and analyse it as a film in its own right – it's something which is worthy of mental and emotional energy and cements Jordan Peele's reputation as a filmmaker of rare talent

Old 7th February 2020, 05:16 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Silence Of The Lambs (1991, Jonathan Demme)

It's not aged well this one. Whilst it is fun spotting all the genre figureheads (what, no Dick Miller as a salty po' officer???? For Shame ). Is it her awful accent? Is it Hopkins' awful overacting?? I still remember people laughing at Bill when I went to the cinema. At least there's The Fall . Stupid, humourless and not that scary. Sorry. Manhunter still the better film imho. Saw 20 minutes of one of the sequels on TV, looked dire (Ray Liotta being fed his own brain??) so never botrhered with any others. The books are good.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 7th February 2020, 05:22 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
The Silence Of The Lambs (1991, Jonathan Demme)

It's not aged well this one. Whilst it is fun spotting all the genre figureheads (what, no Dick Miller as a salty po' officer???? For Shame ). Is it her awful accent? Is it Hopkins' awful overacting?? I still remember people laughing at Bill when I went to the cinema. At least there's The Fall . Stupid, humourless and not that scary. Sorry. Manhunter still the better film imho. Saw 20 minutes of one of the sequels on TV, looked dire (Ray Liotta being fed his own brain??) so never botrhered with any others. The books are good.
Have you seen the TV series? Definitely worth a watch if you haven't.
trebor8273 and troggi like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 7th February 2020, 05:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I've heard that, yes. But as I say I'm slightly "over" it. So, if it falls into my lap, I'll investigate ....
Justin101, troggi and nosferatu42 like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 7th February 2020, 06:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Zulu (Cy Endfield)

I say! An absolutely ripping tale this .
What with the British Empire showing some mettle in the face of a seemingly unstoppable enemy.
OR you can titter at Caine's accent wholesale. I did.
Like Lawrence Of Arabia, a great film to watch during this time of year.

[B]
Old 7th February 2020, 09:19 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

FBI agent Brian O' Conner (Paul walker ) is sent undercover to investigate Dominic Toretto and his street racing crew who are believed to behind a group of truck robberies. Basically it's point break with street racers instead of surfers. Very tame compared to the sequels that became more OTT as they went on. 7/10

Now watching

Old 7th February 2020, 11:32 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

X-Ray (Hospital Massacre). 1981.

While going under routine tests, a woman finds herself stranded on one of the floors with a killer on the loose.

The story may make little sense (it is a Cannon film) it can become quite predictable as to who the killer may be, Barbi Benton takes the lead role of Susan who goes to a hospital where a patient went amok previously and is slowly being stalked and those around her are being killed. It's not a slow burner and the pace is steady enough, it's not boring and may seem a good little slasher flick with alot of hysterics and people that should be on the mental ward.

X-Ray.jpg
Old 8th February 2020, 12:57 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Salo, or the 120 days of Sodom. 1975.

During WWII four fascists kidnaps nine adolescent boys and girls, torture and degrade them for their own amusement while a women tells them her tales of her sexual encounters.

I have heard a lot of things bout this movie from books and chatter on here and curiosity got the better of me (yes it's my first time seeing this film) What Da F***K have i just watched, i knew what i was going into with this film but didn't think it be this bad, total degradation of young people for perverts amusements. Why was this film mentioned in the 1001 movies to see before you die? Tom Six when a bit far with Human Centipede that was bearable but this pushed the boundaries. Not one i would recommend.

Salo.jpg
Old 8th February 2020, 11:20 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

There's an Aussie lass on YT who agrees with you.
It's only a film. Six cannot be compared to Pasolini imho. He's like a circus ringmaster, whereas PPP is more of an architect
troggi and nosferatu42 like this.

[B]
Old 8th February 2020, 11:51 AM
Cult Veteran

I actually like watching Salo, make of that as you wish.
Demoncrat, troggi and bleakshaun like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Like this? Share it using the links below!