Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179473Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th February 2020, 08:16 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

House on haunted hill. 1999.

An eccentric millionaire throws a party for his spoiled wife in a asylum with a checkered past and offering $1,000,000 to those who spend the night and survive.

This is a decent remake (even though the original is and always will be a classic IMO) and set in a different building with a good opening of the history of the asylum and Jeffrey Combs as Dr. Vanacutt. The plot isn't imaginative but does deliver a good story with good acting and decent visual effects, only thing i find disappointing is the ending on how it finishes and different to what was originally planned. Still worth a gander.

house on haunted hill.jpg
Old 15th February 2020, 08:21 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Default Re: The Thing From Another World

Isn't there 12 people on screen at one point in this?? I love it. For a film that is nearly 70 years young, it still captivates.
REWATCH

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 15th February 2020, 08:53 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The good doctor rises from his crypt and sets of for Egypt on a quest to rise his wife from the dead and give them life eternal he has to contend with a man ( Robert quarry ) who also appears to be after the same thing. Not as good as the first but still some great kills and Price is great a usual. 7/10

One of the many alien type rip offs that followed it, this has added boobies , more blood and alien intercourse , the victims all seemed a little on the stupid side why after ever thing that's happened , they would let the alien babies live! 6/10

Now watching

Last edited by trebor8273; 15th February 2020 at 09:42 PM.
Old 15th February 2020, 09:37 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

The Raven (1935)

Bela Lugosi playes a surgeon who blackmails criminal Boris Karloff into commiting revenge for him in this average not-really-Poe Poe adaptation.

First time watching it, and it's fun mainly because of Lugosi but not one of my faves sadly. Still worth a watch

3/5
Old 15th February 2020, 10:47 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Empire Strikes Back (1980)

As with the theatrical cut of Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back un-f*cked with theatrical release is a dark, gritty and grainy science fiction classic. It has that feel of realism rather than that of a Disney cartoon.

The battle of Hoth is an amazing piece of stop-motion film making when seen in it's original glory and the powerful score, especially the wonderful Imperial March, from John Williams, a superb modern symphony of classical music.

All in all, watching The Empire Strikes Back as it was originally shown was like traveling back in time to the greatest party, with your very best friends, exactly the way you remembered them.

A masterpiece of cinema and one of my top five films ever!
Old 15th February 2020, 10:56 PM
Cult Acolyte

^ Nice one Dem.
Old 16th February 2020, 01:00 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Forgotten how much i enjoyed this film, a virtual silent Kurt Russell plays Todd a man whom was raised from a baby to be the ultimate soldier, when he and his squad are replaced by a new group of super soldiers he is left for dead ,finding a small community on the apparently empty planet he becomes part of it , when the officer who left him for dead and created the new soldiers come to clear out the planet ,they little release that Todd is still alive and will do anything to defend his new friends . We have some familiar faces , Sean Pertwee , Gary Busey , Michael Chiklis and Jason Issacs. Even though Kurt hardly speaks his presence carrys the movie. 8/10

Now watching this which is perfect Sunday afternoon viewing.

Old 16th February 2020, 04:27 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood (2019)

There are spoilers here but i'm probably the last person on Cult Labs to watch the film so i'm guessing you already know what happens.

A difficult film to actually rate. On one hand it was a brilliant piece of cinema paying a magical homage to the Hollywood of the sixties with nods to the burgeoning Italian film (rip off) industry of spaghetti westerns, Gialli and Poliziotteschi - all faves of Tarantino.

It's mainly a fun film interspersed with moments of real tension and uncertainty. Tarantino shows an adept hand at what can best be described as slapstick comedy in the showdown between the excellent Brad Pitt's movie stunt man, Cliff Booth, and the one and only (and rather irritating) Bruce Lee. Yet when Pitt visits the Spahn Movie Ranch, home to a commune of hippies the sense of unease especially when you know what's to come borders on unbearable.

Tarantino directs a stellar cast from Pitt, Di' Caprio and Margot Robbie (a vibrant Sharon Tate) to old faves Kurt Russell, Zoe Bell and Michael Madsen. However it's not all plain sailing.

On the other hand... At two and a half hours there are times when the film drags. It's during the extended segments of Leonardo DiCaprio's Rick Dalton filming western series Bounty Law that the film comes to juddering halts and the plot goes into standby mode.

I've heard some people don't like the finale and how Tarantino changes real life events but i was delighted by it. The film is called Once Upon a Time... which suggests something made up or fairy tale like rather than true events and besides who wouldn't want to see the three murderous pieces of shit sent to kill Sharon Tate get their glorious just deserts at the hands of Pitt, Di'Caprio and Pitt's dog Brandy.
Old 16th February 2020, 06:06 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood (2019)

There are spoilers here but i'm probably the last person on Cult Labs to watch the film so i'm guessing you already know what happens.
I've not seen this yet myself so I stopped reading here
Demoncrat likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 16th February 2020, 06:08 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Anna & The Apocalypse

Ahem. Glee style zom com. Even Paul Kaye's beard (and song!) couldn't save it. That'll teach me!! Back to the Sidarisverse post haste!!!
I agree here, I was greatly disappointed, I thought I was going to love it but the songs were dreadful!
Demoncrat likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Like this? Share it using the links below!