All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179626Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th February 2020, 07:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Black Christmas

Only watched this due to the Pouts being in it
The romcom I sat through with her was more entertaining.
Witlessly bad, it does feature Cary Elwes (who popped up in ST3 cough) as an aloof professor, but Cthulhu it's awful.

Come To Daddy (Ant Timpson)

The poster may be sliiightly reminiscent of that Maniac remake, but tis a very different beast. Spurred on by a letter from his estranged father, Wood travels to a remote location to "make amends"?? Recommend this one, as it's not quite what it seems. Avoid the trailer cough.

VFW (Joe Begos)

Old school charnel house. When the world's stupidest drug dealer loses a big shipment, it's up to the local veterans to settle things. Martin Kove, David Patrick Kelly, The Hammer, Stephen Lang and George Wendt hold up their end admirably. Highly recommended.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Last edited by Demoncrat; 19th February 2020 at 09:05 PM. Reason: AHEM
Old 18th February 2020, 07:29 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Might take a lot of libertys with the source material but for me it's easily the best adaptation . The special effects and design of the ships are still impressive all these years later. Only downside the love interest what a annoying hysterical bint! Have the feeling George Pal must of been quite religious as this and when world's collide had religious overtones. 9/10

Another one that takes liberty's with the source material but that doesn't stop it being a fantastic and atmospheric film help by Cushing and Lee who are both on top form. Who can't forget the iconic end scene! Michael Gough character was a bit of a mincing mouse of a man! 9/10

Watching tonight

Old 19th February 2020, 12:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Even tho I own Monty python and life of Brian vue cinema showing it tonight so I'll nip along and watch it on big screen.

I missed the double bill of life of Brian and holy grail I think this is because of the death of terry jones.

Last edited by gag; 19th February 2020 at 01:22 PM.
Old 19th February 2020, 01:22 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Gallows (2015)

Often dull and occasionally annoying found footage flick about a haunted stage play involving a hanging, as a bunch of college morons attempt to recreate it one dark night.

After interminable stretches of nothingness the minute proceedings get spooky we end up staring at the floor and people's shoes during the finale, although one or two sequences do possess flashes of nicely realised creepiness, The Gallows is at the arse end of the found footage genre.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The_Gallows_Poster.jpg (11.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 19th February 2020, 02:11 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Gallows (2015)

Often dull and occasionally annoying found footage flick about a haunted stage play involving a hanging, as a bunch of college morons attempt to recreate it one dark night.

After interminable stretches of nothingness the minute proceedings get spooky we end up staring at the floor and people's shoes during the finale, although one or two sequences do possess flashes of nicely realised creepiness, The Gallows is at the arse end of the found footage genre.
I saw the trailer for this and thought it be great found footage, watched it and ended up being donated to a charity shop, the plot seemed good but was acting was annoying as was the ending was daft.
Old 19th February 2020, 08:29 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A man returns to his home town years after he was his brother killed by a gang who were also killed in a car accident . When members of one of the classes he teach end up dead they are replaced by the dead gang members who are seeking revenge . Not partially scary , but we'll acted, directed and atmospheric. 7/10

I know some people don't rate it and the actor playing the vampire is no Lee and is instantly forgettable, but for me it's better than most of the sequels it's has a great atmosphere and tension. The windmill scene is excellent and quite unique compared to the usual vampire deaths and as usual Cushing is on top form. 8/10

Last edited by trebor8273; 19th February 2020 at 08:46 PM.
Old 19th February 2020, 09:13 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Dobermann (1997, Jan Kounen)

Another revisit to this highest of high octane actioners. Well, the world's moved on since then, so whilst it's still stylized as flip, it's a bit tamer than I remember. Still worth it's weight in designer shades mind
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D.jpg (17.4 KB, 1 views)

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 20th February 2020, 05:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Angel Has Fallen. 2019.

Mike Banning now serving under President Trumball, while on a fishing trip, they are attacked by small drones. Mike is under arrest for the attacked, he escapes custody and seeks out who framed him.

Third installment of the "Fallen" movies, Gerard Butler returns as Mike Banning protecting Morgan Freeman, there is a good star cast Jada Pickett-Smith, Tim Blake Nelson and Nick Nolte but no Aaron Eckhart or Radha Mitchell and a decent plot with plenty action and explosive scenes with twist and turns that may be predictable, but worth a watch.

Angel has fallen.jpg
Old 20th February 2020, 06:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Memories Of Murder (2003, Bong Joon-Ho)

A return to this taut little belter. Three detectives, each has their own morality, are forced to work together to catch a seemingly unstoppable killer. In anyone else's hands this would be cliched drivel.
But he injects humour crucially. It's still quite procedurallyish really, but as with the case with films outside Hypocritewood, nothing is certain at all.
Recommended to the three folk whom haven't seen it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mm.jpg (5.5 KB, 1 views)

[B]
Old 20th February 2020, 06:50 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Moon Zero Two (1969)

A year earlier in 1968, one of the most groundbreaking science fiction films ever made was released - Stanley Kubrick's 2001, it took three years to make. Hammer knocked out space western Moon Zero Two in three months.

Guess which one i prefer?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mzt4a.jpg (93.1 KB, 2 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!