Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179482Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th February 2020, 08:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Bought this for no knowledge and low expectations, was very pleasantly surprised . A seven year old girl has been raised by her farther in their house and told never to go outside as it's dangerous and she will be killed , the farther seems unhinged and dangerous and no.danger seems apparent. That's all I will say anything else will spoil the film. Had me gripped from beginning to end and well acted especially from actresses playing the girl. 8.5/10
Old 29th February 2020, 10:50 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Specters (1987, Marcello Avallone)

Donald Pleasence heads up a team investigating catacombs underneath Rome. Have they uncovered an ancient evil by mistake? Why else am I here? A rather murky print hides the budgetary restrictions here thankfullly. Needs a rewatch, as it didn't seem to amount to much before that obligatory awful Rawk song at the end. Hmmm.

Proteus (1995, Bob Keen)

You know how it is. when you find an abandoned oil rig and that ... directed by a special effects maestro, though there's little of that on show cough. Pinhead turns up briefly, playing a human!
Craig and company are being naughty when they come across one of those pesky experiment gone 'orribly wrong scenarios replete with maaad scientists and all that. Very third tier. This was during his "popular" phase what with Beyond Bedlam and Darklands and all that.
Ahem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S2.jpg (27.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg P2.jpg (20.6 KB, 4 views)

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 29th February 2020, 02:21 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Crawl (2019)

Hurricanes, rising water levels, submerged houses and alligators, Alexandre Aja's Crawl may not be high art or indeed an original film but i did find it very entertaining, occasionally tense, a couple of times gorily grim, but above all a lot of fun.

The alligators, which are the star of the show, looked very realistic to say they were computer generated throughout and the story moved along nicely and never became dull even though there were mainly only two characters in it, played believably enough by Kaya Scodelario and Barry Pepper. Other characters were introduced throughout but were there purely as gator bait (Now that's a prime slice of exploitation i must revisit soon - 1974's Gator Bait).

Crawl is no Jaws, it's probably not even as good as the original Lake Placid, but it's still a mighty fine creature feature in it's own right and i'm pleased to add it to my collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A1zuaC8C66L._AC_SL1500_.jpg (93.1 KB, 4 views)
Old 29th February 2020, 03:03 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Asylum. A psychiatrist visits a mental asylum to interview for a job, and is asked to evaluate four patients, each of whom has a very disturbing story to tell. Robert Powell, Charlotte Rampling, Peter Cushing and Herbert Lom star in this creepy early 70s British horror anthology that I really enjoyed. This is by far the best of the Amicus anthologies I've seen so far - Tales from the Crypt was middling, and neither Torture Garden nor Vault of Horror did anything for me at all - with all four stories being enjoyable (the Rampling one, despite being obvious, being my favourite). Very good.
This is one of those films that were the talk of the school the day after it was on tv. One of my favourite films. Did you watch the Second Sight Blu-ray? I haven't watched mine yet.
Demoncrat and trebor8273 like this.
Old 29th February 2020, 03:29 PM
Cult Acolyte

thYI0AQNDY.jpg
DRUMS OF FU MANCHU (1940)

REPUBLIC SERIAL 15 CHAPTERS

A race against time to stop the villainous Fu Manchu from acquiring the sceptre of Genghis Khan and conquer the world..

Very good movie serial and considered to be one of the best.
As usual for these serials, lots of fights and action. The highlights of this serial for me has our heroes enter caves in the search of the sceptre and Fu Manchu's deadly pendulum is just one of the great cliffhangers.
Old 29th February 2020, 06:41 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

.... I'm watching Dead Of Night (1945, Various dir)

Mervyn Johns swears he has visited the house he's just arrived at? In a dream? What is this? Ionesco??
The party within all profess ignorance, but all have a tale of their own to impart. A professorial type holds sway over the overall atmosphere, what with the reverence for the educated that only British cinema of the period upheld as a virtue. Ahem. Some segments work more fluidly than others. Such is the fate of the compendium though ....
But if you haven't seen it, where you at blood??

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 29th February 2020, 07:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Storm Of the Century Part One.

A small Maine town is preparing for huge storm coming their way, when a old lady is killed by a stranger, this stranger seems too know the townsfolk darkest secrets and has the ability to apparently control others. The

Now watching.

Old 29th February 2020, 07:36 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Well, I'm gripped.

The ????
Susan Foreman likes this.

[B]
Old 29th February 2020, 08:08 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Well, I'm gripped.

The ????
End of part one!
Demoncrat and Susan Foreman like this.
Old 29th February 2020, 09:13 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Phew then!

[B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!