Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd March 2020, 06:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The story a crazy old coot and his murderous pussy!

When a number of strange deaths happen in a small English village the inept locally bobbies call in an inspector Gorley (David Warbeck) from Scotland yard ,he ask for help from a local photography ( Mimsey Farmer) . As the deaths mount they soon begin to suspect that a murderous pussy is responsible, could the creepy old professor ( Patrick Magee) be involved and what is the connection between him and his pussy?

While not Fulci's gorist movie sill plenty of red to be seen. Supposedly not the directors favourite movie , but I found it better than a lot of his later work. 6.7/10

Now watching Storm of the Century Part 3. Then more Italian madness in the English countryside.

Old 2nd March 2020, 10:22 PM
Cult Acolyte

The Odessa File. The diary of a Holocaust survivor leads a journalist in 60s East Germany (Jon Voight) to become obsessed with tracking down a Nazi war criminal who never faced justice, and comes up against a secret society of former SS members known as "Odessa". This mid 70s conspiracy thriller has the grit and atmosphere you'd expect of a mid 70s conspiracy thriller, and even has future Doctor Who alumni Mary Tamm in a major supporting role, but while interesting enough it's slow pace and 2 hour+ running time make it a long haul at times (or perhaps I've just been watching too many Hammer/Amicus horror flicks of late, which tend to be in and out in 90 minutes tops!).
Old 3rd March 2020, 08:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Tempest. 1979.

Banished to a forsaken island, the right Duke of Milan and sorcerer Prospero plot to take revenge on the King Of Naples.

This seems to be a different take on the Shakespeare story that was updated to the present time of the 70s, and may seem confusing as to what director Derek Jarman was trying to accomplish although he does present us with the witch Sycorax and Toyah Wilcox who seems to have a nice chest on her. It can be a strain on the eyes with the dark lighting that used to create a dark atmosphere.

images.jpg
Old 4th March 2020, 05:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Colour Out Of Space (Richard Stanley)

Woooh mother dearest.
A ludicrous blend of Poltergeist and The Thing. It tells you something when the first people you see are ... a woman and a non caucasian , which tells you just how "faithful" an adaptation it's going to be. Sadly Cage in Wicker Man mode, as his leap from "Daddy" to Dickhead is quite clunky. Shriekingly "psychedelic" in all the wrong ways as well. It just .... disintergrates in front of you. Pointless subplots choke the story dead . Utter shite. By gum I'm annoyed. I'd heard really good things about this. Well, it's back to Mandy methinks. Now there was a pile of references that I could get behind

The Curse was better ... by a country mile.

NEXT!!!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Last edited by Demoncrat; 4th March 2020 at 09:39 PM.
Old 4th March 2020, 08:25 PM
Cult Addict

images (30).jpeg

howling-lee.jpg

I watched Howling 2 (terrible but brilliant at the same time) the other night again which put me in the mood for more werewolf madness/ schlock so the other night finally got around to watching The Werewolf and the Yeti.

werewolfyeti__55019.1424624679.jpg

I'd always heard it was a pretty bad film but i found it very entertaining (and gloriously stupid), but then i have a fondness for Naschy stuff and goofy films in general.

Both films are not great by any means but i enjoyed them.

7/10 for each.

Wish i lived in Naschy's world, he can't tie his shoe laces without sexy women falling all over him in a state of undress.

Here he gets lost and wanders into a cave, next minute he's having sex with two random cave dwelling hotties. What a life.

werwolf.jpg

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 4th March 2020, 08:56 PM
Cult Acolyte

A batch of Universal Horrors.. (1931-1932)

dracula1931.jpg thAB36HDAM.jpg thITT202KX.jpg murders-in-the-rue-morgue-one-sheet.jpg thSZV65FZV.jpg 1200px-The_Mummy_1932_film_poster.jpg

I don't very often watch the Spanish Dracula. Although technically better than the Lugosi version, I can't get on with Carlos Villarias.
Old 4th March 2020, 09:26 PM
Cult Addict

With my watch of Werewolf and the Yeti i've finally seen all of the Video Nasties.

evil-dead-promo-art-lead-in.jpg

My first ones as an impressionable age (around 8 or 9 i think) were The Evil dead (from a guy renting films from his car boot, smooth ) and House at the edge of the park which i saw when i was being babysat by my Aunt, i think her kids rented it (along with Lemon popsicle 3....interesting night.)

246f345459b626743818538f0d4cd79a.jpg

I decided to do a list on letterboxd here's a link, they are in a sort of order although this may alter as i rewatch stuff.

https://letterboxd.com/nosferatu42/list/video-nasties/

Most were entertaining, some were great, some were pretty shit, the list starts going downhill sharply after we reach 40 and below in my opinion.

Some are placed higher than they really should be due to personal affection for a bad film.
I had a mate who collected mental films as a late teenager so i copied a few films, as a result i like Mardi gras massacre more than it really deserves or any sane person should.

mardi-gras-massacre-australian-vhs-movie-cover.jpg

I spit on your grave i first saw in America aged about 19, i made friends with a couple of the locals and they had it in their video collection.
It's a film i respect a lot but also find a pretty difficult watch.

I still don't own them all, but i've either had copies in the past or ended up going the youtube route.

I miss you hugs and kisses i had on Video under the title drop dead dearest but it was cut so i ended up watching the rest on youtube at some point.
It's not really worth it though only memorable for the fact that it features Elkie Sommer.

Only taken me 36 years to watch em all, but like Pringles once you pop you can't stop.

VYVYAN: Michael and I are going to indulge in an all night orgy of sex and violence!

RICK: What, in the drawing room?

VYVYAN: Yeah. First we're going to have sex with the Headless Corpse and the Virgin Astronaut.

RICK: Ugh!. Won't the carpet get awfully sticky?

VYVYAN: It's a video nasty!!!

RICK: It's a CARPET, farty!!

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 4th March 2020, 09:36 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Congratulations then nos!!

Pandamonium (MJ Dixon)

And this is why I'm here. Painfully by the numbers slasher alleviated sliiiightly by the titular killer ( no, it's not yer actual animal cough) set in an office block.
The bigwigs hire some "ladies" for hi jinks in the boardroom after hours. Sadly, they have an uninvited guest .... it was all a bit shrivelled to be honest. Avoid??

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 4th March 2020, 10:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Operation Avalanche (2016, Matt Johnson)

No, it's not the bloke from The The gag.
An FF thriller? Set in Houston 1969? For all that , it sort of works ....

A CIA team go undercover at NASA during a crucial stage in the space race. Quite exciting in places tbh. The format sort of fits due to the nature of their business? Hmmm, the language doesn't always fit the period, but these are quibbles. An oddity certainly.

[B]
Old 5th March 2020, 03:18 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Dr. Who and the Daleks (1965)

Although i like this Amicus movie it's certainly flawed. Basically what was initially seven 25 minute television episodes (almost three hours) is condensed into a mere 80 minute rehashed movie.

Of course we lose many scenes of dialogue where nothing much happens but we also lose a lot of characterisation in the bargain. The cliffhangers are no more and due to that we also miss the pivotal classic scene that terrified kids galore back in 1963 as Barbara is menaced for the first time by a Dalek 'sink plunger'. In fact the film loses all the menace and thrills of the serial and these are seemingly replaced by buffoonery from a completely out of character Ian Chesterton (Roy Castle). It's also true that Peter Cushing, although he has a few decent scenes, is no match for William Hartnell's portrayal as the Doctor, or Dr. Who as he's referred to here thanks to 'rights' issues. Thankfully better was to come from Cushing in follow up film Daleks: Invasion Earth 2150AD.

What is brilliant about Dr. Who and the Daleks is that we get to see the Daleks in colour. Prior to 1972 all the Dalek tv stories were black and white, so seeing the Daleks in all their glorious colours must have been a real thrill for audiences when Britain was at the height of 'Dalekmania'. However nowadays in 2020, Dr. Who and the Daleks isn't groundbreaking in any way, truth be told it's fairly run of the mill, but always makes for a welcome diversion on a Sunday afternoon (Or in this case Wednesday night when i re-watched it).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51Gp6fFA5BL.jpg (53.3 KB, 4 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!