Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179046Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th March 2020, 07:25 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Raiders Of The Sun (1992, Cirio H Santiago)

See the name? Then you knows whats to expects
Poapoc mayhem in a barren wasteland that will appear rather comforting to Doctor Who fans here
The plot revolves around precious ... gunpowder. But who cares when the bodies are flying through the air and getting set on fire. A late entry into the genre, but when did that ever stop him?? Recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg R.jpg (98.2 KB, 6 views)

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 6th March 2020, 11:31 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Howling III (1987)

Awful in name only Howling sequel in which a woman becomes a Were-Kangaroo.

Kudos for that 'birth' scene and the werewolf nuns though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg howling_poster.jpg (47.9 KB, 6 views)
Old 6th March 2020, 05:23 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I remember watching that through a recreational haze. I thought I had dreamed it until I saw the cover

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 6th March 2020, 06:06 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I decided to give Hellraiser: Bloodline (4) another rewatch. It's not a bad film, but you can tell it's not the film which was intended. Story strands trimmed down to the point of incomprehension and very weird dialogue! However, it's got some interesting effects going on and good makeup, but because of the time it was made (1996) it also boasts some woeful CGI!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 6th March 2020, 08:21 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Peter Cushing is an archaeologist who along with his farther and his uncle are unearthing a tomb which contains the body of a princess , a mummy in the tomb attacks the farther and sends him insane.

Few years after returning home , the three men are target for death by a man using his mummy for defiling the princess tomb. 7/10

The film opens with a young girl seeing her mother commit suicide by a psychic connection.

18 years later she has a vision of a woman being killed by a man with a limp and buried behind a wall. She finds the body in a house owned by her husband and as he knew the dead girl , his arrested for the murder. The wife sets out to prove his innocence. Very tame by Fulci's standards but a more coherent film than a lot of his later gore drenched movies. 7/10

Up next.

Old 6th March 2020, 09:06 PM
Cult Acolyte

Dracula AD 1972. 100 years after being killed (again) by Van Helsing (again), Dracula (Christopher Lee) is resurrected (again) by a bunch of gullible youngsters looking for a thrill in early 70s (1970s!) London. The man manipulating the youths is their sinisterly-named "friend" Johnny Alucard (never trust a man whose last name is an anagram for Dracula). Fortunately for London, Van Helsing's grandson, Van Helsing, who just happens to look exactly like his grandfather (conveniently for Peter Cushing!) is on the scene, unaware that he and his grand-daughter (Stephanie Beacham, recast as Joanna Lumley in the next film) are already on the Count's hit-list. This early 70s Hammer thrusts the series into the (then) modern era, and works surprisingly well. Christopher Neame, who Doctor Who fans will recognise as the evil Skagra from the tom baker story Shada, works well as second-string villain Johnny, and the final showdown between Dracula and Van Helsing is the most intense and thrilling climax since the original. Though there are two more films after this in the series, this is actually the last I haven't seen, and I thoroughly enjoyed it, as I have almost all of these. Great fun. I love this series!
Old 7th March 2020, 06:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Man From Deep River. 1972.

A photographer is captured by a tribe, his life is spared, accepted by the tribe and falls for the cheif's daughter, he must survives the trials and cannibals.

Umberto Lenzi's entry into the tribes of cannibal world and may seem tame to the other cannibal films that were released. There isn't much gore except from animal killings (be prepared for those). Ivan Rassimov takes lead role as photographer John Bradley and Me Me Lai as the chief's daughter Maraya.

This may not be the greatest film but can be slow and dragging in some places it does have some entertaining moments watching guys fight with spears, the cinematography does seem to be amateurish and all over the place, was good to see uncut version of this film.

81ldOWiAoML._SX300_.jpg
Old 7th March 2020, 07:24 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Guns Akimbo (2020, Jason Lei Howden)

Haven't enjoyed myself as much in ages. A highly self aware actioner with its tongue firmly in its cheek. ImnotPotter and Samara Weaving lock horns when his trolling lands him in .... an interesting situation .
Ned Dennehy pops up yet again cornering the market in obnoxious c**ts
There's some plot in there, but that I'll spot the next time. Recommended.

[B]
Old 7th March 2020, 09:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Amazonia: The Catherine Mills Story. 1985.

A woman witnesses her parents murder, is taken prisoner by a headhunting tribe and seeks revenge.

This isn't great but also not that bad, the plot is a bit simple and bits of it do drag on to the point nodding off can settle in. There is a good background score and decent cinematography to add. Elvire Audray does a decent performance as the lead actress with the usual Italian sleaze and killings make it worth while if doped up on caffeine.

81A18nFyMjL._RI_.jpg
Old 7th March 2020, 11:24 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Conspiracy (2012)

A documentary crew latch onto a "conspiracy nut", but fail to see the warning signs when he disappears. As FF flicks go, it stays within the boundaries, but it's a bit predictable. There is fun sometimes with that, but that Operation Avalanche was far better.

Head Count (2018, Elle Callahan)

I'll be intrigued to see what she does next since I was reasonably surprised with this one. Two brothers reunite awkwardly, luckily some vacationing hedonists are at hand to cause a distraction. If you accept the basic premise, it was effective viewing. If not ... (shrugs).

[B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!