Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179612Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th March 2020, 06:48 PM
Cult Acolyte

THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD (1965)

Started my build up to Easter. What better way to start today than with a film starring Max Von Sydow as Jesus.
An all star cast of which some only have fleeting screen time. The most notorious scene is John Wayne as a centurion with his "Surely this man was the Son of God" line.
The cinematography is glorious and the soundtrack score suitably epic.
The original release clocked in at four hours but has been cut down numerus times with the most common version now at three hours fifteen minutes.
Old 9th March 2020, 10:16 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Ugly. 1997.

A female psychologist tries to understand the mind of a confessed serial killer who has been locked up for six years in a mental hospital.

This was a bit of a weird film that's like Silence Of The Lambs meets Norman Bates, filmed around New Zealand and funded by the government (allegedly). It was interesting with the way the acting is and can seem confusing as it goes from Drama, to thriller then gore point horror. The flashback sequences can seem a bit dull and may be disturbing on the killings, only draw back was the ending that seemed flawed,

[attach]223074[/attach
Old 9th March 2020, 10:26 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
The Ugly. 1997.

A female psychologist tries to understand the mind of a confessed serial killer who has been locked up for six years in a mental hospital.

This was a bit of a weird film that's like Silence Of The Lambs meets Norman Bates, filmed around New Zealand and funded by the government (allegedly). It was interesting with the way the acting is and can seem confusing as it goes from Drama, to thriller then gore point horror. The flashback sequences can seem a bit dull and may be disturbing on the killings, only draw back was the ending that seemed flawed,
Used to have this on vhs. One i'd like to get on dvd but never really think about it. Out of sight out of mind etc.
Demoncrat and troggi like this.
Old 9th March 2020, 10:36 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Used to have this on vhs. One i'd like to get on dvd but never really think about it. Out of sight out of mind etc.
Found a clip of it on this

51VFDJGCRHL._SY445_.jpg

Seemed interesting as I never saw it before, paid a quid for it from Amazon, think maybe another rewatch may help understand it a bit more, if not you can commit me I'm sure my other half will help sign the papers
troggi and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 10th March 2020, 03:39 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Hitcher (1986)

Once you look past the brilliantly menacing performance from Rutger Hauer as the fearsome John Ryder, The Hitcher as a film doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

For a psycho killer movie it's undefined and motiveless, it's also surreal due to plot developments which are random rather than connected, the whole thing feels like a nightmare in the head of unlikable victim C Thomas Howell who simply careers from one sequence to the next rather than actually waking up. Why would Ryder frame Howell for murder after murder then protect him from the police when things look at their bleakest? How can Ryder seemingly be everywhere at once, how can he down a helicopter with a single shot from a hand gun? How can he lay waste to an entire police station in silence? So little makes sense which again adds to the dream like feel. I realise that killers like Jason Vorhees seem to be everywhere at once but that's generally in a fairly confined space such as Crystal Lake, Ryder is everywhere yet it takes place across many miles of desert highway.

It's a grisly film with the viewer witnessing shotgun attacks, fingers on plates and so on, yet the films best set piece - Jennifer Jason Leigh tied between two trucks then torn apart is not shown on screen, so whilst there is violence there's also a lack of violence as well, again adding to the dream like nature of it all... perhaps Howell wakes up at the moment the trucks move apart.

Having said that, The Hitcher is still a decent film and quite enigmatic and also ambiguous - is it all so easily explained that Ryder simply has a death wish and wants it taken care of by someone worthy of the job? The scene where Ryder places the coins on Howell's eyes. Is he simply 'paying the ferryman' to end his life - it certainly appears that way. but i don't go along that it's a great film, due to it being a bit, well, nonsensensical.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 09c237a61d186f97e13441e081536d5a.jpg (96.4 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 10th March 2020 at 03:50 PM.
Old 10th March 2020, 06:13 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Nothing else to say apart from its a classic and for me Hammer's best. 10/10

Price plays the demented and evil Prince Prospero whom locks himself in his castle throwing debauched party's while the surrounding villages suffer from his evil and cruel ways. A strange and dangerous plague called the red death is sweeping the land and a hooded figure dressed in red has been , speaking of the end of Prince Prospero . 8/10

Now watching.

Old 10th March 2020, 06:32 PM
Cult Acolyte

event-horizon-cinema-quad-movie-poster-(2).jpg
EVENT HORIZON (1997)

Dug this out of my archives. Had not seen it in ages. I watched it at the cinema on it's release and seen it only a few times since then.
The model work and set design look great. Some quite eerie scenes when the crew first enter the Event Horizon.
Shame the footage cut which included more graphic scenes seems to lost forever due to damage from bad archiving.
Old 10th March 2020, 08:56 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Mack The Knife (1989, Menahem Golan)

Yes, it's The Threepenny Opera . With ..... Roger Daltrey, Richard Harris, Julie Walters aaaand Raul Julia as Mack.
Reasonably faithful.

World Gone Wild (1987, Lee H Katzin)

Wanna see a poapoc middler where Adam Ant plays the villain?? . Undemanding and silly in equal measures.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 10th March 2020, 09:23 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Wolfen. 1981.

A New York detective investigates brutal killings that he thinks wild animals are loose and on the prowl.

Dewey Wilson (Albert Finney) leads the police to investigate the killings with psychologist Rebecca Neff (Diane Venora) and zoologist Ferguson (Tom Noonan) to find what animals are causing the killings and how to end it all. This seems to take a different way from other werewolf films, as it focuses more in Native American myths and freeing a soul and transporting it to a animal.

The visual effects are done well as seen through the eyes of the animals that seem to been copied by Predator and great cinematography By Gerry Fisher with good surrounding areas of New York and and background score, with great acting blended in, first time seeing this in a long time and still good.

MV5BNzBmODVkOWUtYjc5ZS00NjZmLTk4NjktZTFjOTRjZWQzNTVmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODczOTM0NTU@._V1_ (1).jpg
Old 10th March 2020, 09:28 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Wolfen. 1981.

A New York detective investigates brutal killings that he thinks wild animals are loose and on the prowl.

Dewey Wilson (Albert Finney) leads the police to investigate the killings with psychologist Rebecca Neff (Diane Venora) and zoologist Ferguson (Tom Noonan) to find what animals are causing the killings and how to end it all. This seems to take a different way from other werewolf films, as it focuses more in Native American myths and freeing a soul and transporting it to a animal.

The visual effects are done well as seen through the eyes of the animals that seem to been copied by Predator and great cinematography By Gerry Fisher with good surrounding areas of New York and and background score, with great acting blended in, first time seeing this in a long time and still good.

Attachment 223083
I love Wolfen, Mr.B. Easily in my top 5 shapeshifter films.

Like this? Share it using the links below!