All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179607Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th March 2020, 10:44 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I watched Doctor Sleep this aftenoon, I must admit that I was very aprehensive going in, The Shining and all of that. However, I was pretty blown away, it's a great film. Some truly horrific scenes and one which was chilling to watch, I wont spoil for those who may not have seen it yet. I watched the Theatrical Cut because I though, if I don't like it, at least it's 30 minutes shorter, but now I wish I had watched the longer Director's Cut, so I think in the next couple of weeks I'll watch it again

Me home alone right now =
Haven't seen this joker or several other films, I tend to wait a good. 6 months sometimes upto a year and wait till all the hype has died down and just go in with little or no expectations. .
Old 14th March 2020, 11:01 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
If it redeems me in your eyes at all, I also watched Karate Warrior this week and loved it, and I immediately started looking for the sequels online
Did you really enjoy it Karate Warrior? Thought was boring.. let me know about the sequels if you find them
Old 14th March 2020, 11:51 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
If it redeems me in your eyes at all, I also watched Karate Warrior this week and loved it, and I immediately started looking for the sequels online

I meant "Boo!" as in the "creeping up behind you" sense. Not in disapproval

NEXT!!

KW ... uhhh, those jeans
Justin101 likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 15th March 2020, 09:42 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post

I meant "Boo!" as in the "creeping up behind you" sense. Not in disapproval

NEXT!!

KW ... uhhh, those jeans
I realised what you meant after haha, yes, everything about KW was awesome, apart from maybe the creepy karate master stroking that young boy's face in a very peculiar fashion
Demoncrat likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 15th March 2020, 03:13 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
I realised what you meant after haha, yes, everything about KW was awesome, apart from maybe the creepy karate master stroking that young boy's face in a very peculiar fashion
Indeed. Amazing set pieces also

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 15th March 2020, 06:15 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Sx_Tape (2013)

Ever since Paperhouse in 1988 i've taken an interest in director Bernard Rose's work. From the likes of Candyman and Chicago Joe and the Showgirl to lesser lights like Snuff Movie (2005) and Frankenstein (2015), they all generally hold some interest to me.

The widely derided Sx-Tape is the same. For the first hour i found it riveting viewing as the film chronicled the day to day life (via camcorder) of Jill, an artist who lives life to the full. Even as far as performing sexual acts strapped to gurney's in old abandoned hospitals. Rather than the usual bickering and or cameras pointing at the floor as tends to be the norm for this type of thing i found myself totally engaged in proceedings. Jill, an excellent Caitlyn Folley, all wildly outgoing seemed a great person to follow round and cameraman, Adam, (Ian Duncan) allowed the film to flow freely.

It's during the last twenty or so minutes when the horror and supernatural aspects kick in that my interest slumped somewhat with the addition of more atypical generic characters for this sort of thing as well as the usual boring jump scares and so on taking place in the abandoned hospital.

From what i've read, many find Jill and Adam incredibly annoying throughout and have given this film lousy scores and write ups, but i didn't, therefore should you decide to give this a go following my words then this final paragraph is perhaps the one to really take notice of above all others.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sx_tape_film_poster_2013.jpg (15.6 KB, 4 views)
Old 15th March 2020, 10:29 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Midway (2019)

Roland Emmerich's passion project is a better film than some would have you believe. The CGI may not be as polished as studio productions at times but on the whole it looked decent enough on dvd and boasts a terrific surround sound mix that thunders round the room.

Covering events from Pearl Harbor to the battle of Midway the following year the film zips along nicely and lacks, thankfully, the romantic sub plots of other films depicting similar events. I do feel the script lacked something though. I can't put my finger on what. Was it characterization, was it story telling, was it a romantic sub plot (I hope not) or was it merely the fact that the cast lacked any major star quality?

The likes of Woody Harrelson, Ed Skrein, Patrick Wilson, Luke Evans pale completely in comparison to Henry Fonda, Charlton Heston, Toshiro Mifune, James Coburn, Robert Mitchum, Glenn Ford and co who starred in the film of the same name from 1976.

The film seemed reasonably detailed in historical accuracy (I couldn't give a shit if it used a bomb that only came into operation six months later or tripe like that - it's a movie to entertain not a History Channel documentary) and the action scenes were an enjoyable spectacle and certainly bettered the stock footage montages from the earlier mentioned 1976 film.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg midway-philippine-movie-poster.jpg (67.3 KB, 5 views)
Old 16th March 2020, 06:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Haunting Of Julia. 1977,

After the death of her daughter, a young American woman moves to London to start fresh and begins to think her flat is haunted.

This was a surprisingly 70s ghost chiller film that seems to go in one direction then takes another with a ending that wasn't expected, Mia Farrow plays the young american Julia suffering from grief. This is a slow paced film that does build up with the suspense then goes back to being slow paced, the acting seems to be good and kept interesting with the atmosphere.
Old 16th March 2020, 07:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A bit of a hammer marathon.

7/10

7/10

9.5/10

8.5/10

7.4/10

6.3/10

6.5/10

Now watching.

Enjoyed the Quatermass films but the actor they had playing the lead in the first two was a bit unlikable , always angry and shouting ! First two Frankenstein where enjoyable , the third was a bit of a disappointment largely thanks to how they threw continuity out of the window.

too the devil a daughter was a interesting change of direction for hammer, when there films would be seen as quite tame when films like the omen and the exorcist had been made. The film had interesting ideas but was let down by Richard Widmark who was totally wrong for the role and came across as a nasty and mean spirited prick.

Last edited by trebor8273; 16th March 2020 at 09:30 PM.
Old 16th March 2020, 08:07 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Cell (2000)

A visually stunning sci-fi / horror / thriller in which psychologist Jennifer Lopez by way of an experimental virtual reality treatment enters into the mind of a serial killer in a race against time to save his latest victim.

Although the plot is a little convoluted, The Cell is still a film worthy of attention. Director Tarsem Singh is certainly a director who relies on visuals in this case of S&M and horror as well as great beauty in what could be described as a sensory mind****. It's disturbing, it's crude, it's surreal and addictive viewing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ce69c388208a075981415492f5b80540.jpg (88.1 KB, 5 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!